Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m attempting to make some decisions regarding my extended stable. I have an Amp Research B2 with a 63mm RS Judy XC that has lived at my parents weekend cabin since work forced me to leave the state 7 years ago. Now I’m back. My 60 y/o father has expressed an interest in some light trail riding and would like the ability to have a rack. He’s 200 lbs. so considering these facts, I think the Amp needs to be swapped out for another hardtail frame I have kicking around. I can put a Thudbuster seatpost on if he misses the cushion of a FS rig.

In my mind, the Amp frame either needs to have an Amp F-linkage fork added to make it a complete frameset and restored as the lightweight rig it should be or I need to part it out and sell it to someone who will love it. As I poke around the forum, I see very little talk and/or love for Amp Research products. I know they are considered to be fragile and should be ridden lightly by light riders. I’m also uncertain on the current state of support from Amp for the bushings/bearings and shock. I know they were able to offer parts and rebuild kits for a time but I’m sure those stocks are nearly depleted if not already gone. The shock on mine needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

I know this is a very subjective question but are Amp bikes considered to worthy subjects for a restore or am I better off unloading this on someone who is a dedicated Amp lover who has a pile of parts to keep it alive? At this stage of my riding/collecting, I’m indifferent. Considering the lack of chatter, I’m guessing they are not sought after. My fear is that keeping this Amp alive may require more money and energy than I want to put into it versus a similar era hardtail (e.g. Bontrager, Schwinn, Yeti, etc.).

Thanks for any thoughts/perspective!

·
Registered
421 Posts
your ending thoughts are a good direction to go in.
Sell it off to somone that wants to rebuild it. You can get alot of FS bike for the money nowdays. There's not much on this forum because it's mostly pre-full suspension.
There are some customs that are favored here but mostly the FS bike's vintage forum days have yet to be realized. I am an AMP fan becasue of what they did for the industry and own one that will be built up someday just so I can try it out. I'm sure the shock can be rebuilt and bushings can be found if you want to resurect it but the bike suspensions of today are just too nice to ride old stuff all the time....fun for a ride here and there, but thats about it...for me anyhow.
Enjoy.

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
My views.
As far as support goes, it's my understanding that AMP was sold and is no longer supporting the brand.

You're correct that there are some people that have stockpiled parts for service. They are your AMP geeks.:) You're also correct that if you keep to restore that it needs the appropriate fork.

As far as the market for resale goes I'd look at our wealthy and friendly "all things American" MTB collectors in Europe. :)

JMHO of course.
Jeff

·
Sergeant Spandex
669 Posts
"Dedicated AMP lover'" could be taken more ways than one.

I personally love AMP bikes, and yes they must have the AMP fork.

For you dad's wishes for light trail riding a high end vintage bike is most likely not the way to go. I would just look for a solid bike with Shimano components that fits him very well. There are hundreds on Craigslist and Ebay, many that you could drive to see, assuming you don't live in the boondocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts