Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing with gearing set ups on my DW Sultan. I really like two ring set ups, I find I have minimal need for a big ring. My rides consist of everything that Socal has to offer; pavement, fireroads, flowing fast singletrack, technical singletrack, drops, jumps, etc... My bike is set up for abuse, not particularly light.
After running 22x32, 20x32, 24x36 with an 11-34 cassette, I am really loving my 20x30. I ride this more like a 1x9 dropping down to the 20 on some of the super steep loose climbs I encounter on my rides. On all of the other setups I felt always slightly mis-geared, but the 30 has really hit the mark. I was a bit worried that with the 30-11 I was going to be like a hamster on some of the paved portions and fireroads, but this has really been a non-issue.
I am actually surprised how much more I love the 30tooth.
BTW, thanks to Andersen machine for making a great product. I mounted it on my XT crankset with minimal hassle, and the shifting is on par with the XT ring it replaced. And actually the Andersen ring feels stiffer than the XT.

·
Noli Me Tangere
412 Posts
How hard was it to install the ring? I posted a question on their site asking if I could just send them cranks and have it installed by them but didn't get a response. I wanted to go with the 30-22 and 11-34 rather than the 32-22 and 11-36 cassette.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
morandi said:
I've been playing with gearing set ups on my DW Sultan. I really like two ring set ups, I find I have minimal need for a big ring. My rides consist of everything that Socal has to offer; pavement, fireroads, flowing fast singletrack, technical singletrack, drops, jumps, etc... My bike is set up for abuse, not particularly light.
After running 22x32, 20x32, 24x36 with an 11-34 cassette, I am really loving my 20x30. I ride this more like a 1x9 dropping down to the 20 on some of the super steep loose climbs I encounter on my rides. On all of the other setups I felt always slightly mis-geared, but the 30 has really hit the mark. I was a bit worried that with the 30-11 I was going to be like a hamster on some of the paved portions and fireroads, but this has really been a non-issue.
BTW, thanks to Andersen machine for making a great product. I mounted it on my XT crankset with minimal hassle, and the shifting is on par with the XT ring it replaced. And actually the Andersen ring feels stiffer than the XT.
$89 for the 30T ring and it requires crank modifications?

I like my 30T ring but use a 94/58 spider so it is a standard $30 item.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Dear Shimano, please make an XT lcrankset capable of running off the shelf 20 x 30 rings.

Thank you,
The Public

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ChipV said:
Dear Shimano, please make an XT lcrankset capable of running off the shelf 20 x 30 rings.

Thank you,
The Public
They use to (94/58 5bolt) in the early '90s.

Then they decided 104/64 4bolt was "better." A soution (for a nonexistant problem) that created more issues than it "solved."

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know $89.00 is a bit steep for a chainring. Although after my first few rides on it, the $89.00 was forgotten.
I wish I would have had a Surly Mr. Whirly 94/58 (I like the external BB cranksets), but alas an XT crankset was bolted on my bike. $89.00 is still a lot cheaper than a new crankset. At least thats how I justify it.
The chainring was easy to install, and just requires a flat file. Took all of 10min, and is really just a matter of filing a slight bevel on the bolt mounts. The instructions and visuals included with the crankset were excellent.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Dude... tooootally agree with you!

morandi said:
I ran an XT crankset with 22/32/44 for a while with an XT 11-34t cassette. First issue was granny was too tall for my fat arse and the steep grades around here in NorCal. So I found a Action Tec 20t, filed my spider and ran that for a while. THen it was too much gap between the 20t and 32t middle. I found myself dropping to granny all the time just to make it over one little thing. I noticed in my pile of parts I had a 20t 5 arm and a 32t 5 arm, so I found some old Sugino Impels for $12 on craigslist. I fitted those up to be sure they would work well enough while I ordered a 30t vuelta ring form Universalcycles.com. GOt the 30t on there, found a 42t in my parts bin, bolted it up to an LX square taper BB... and I was golden. It was kinda flexy, tho. During heavy out of saddle cranking, the big ring would rub the derailleur a bit, and I could not seem to adjust it out.

Later, I found a set of Coda cranks, and I already had the XTR Octalink1 BB to go with them.

So now... 20/30/42t on Codas with XTR BB. Shifts great, perfect ranges for me, works like a charm. 9 speed chains work fine on these 8 speed rings. No issues there at all.

Man, I only wish Shimano or SRAM would wise up and produce a good external BB 5 arm compact crankset. THe only ones I know of are Surly (nice, but $$$ and heavy) and Middleburn ($$$ and square taper, or ISIS). I loved my XT and LX external BB cranksets. Light, stiff and pretty cheap.

I now have a spare XTR 5 bolt 94/58mm spider for the M950 series cranks. I'm on the lookout for a set of arms... maybe 180s. I went 180s on my singlespeed and love 'em. It would be better to drop the big ring to a 40t, but I'm not super motivated to spend actual money on it. Maybe I'll find one at a swap meet for cheap.

Dang, you make a good argument for that $90 30t ring. I really like my XT External bearing cranks, and I already did the same mod for my 20t. I can't see blowing $350 on a different solution. My only issue is blowing $90 on a wear item I tend to get one or two seasons out of at best.

Sugino Impels (polished!!) installed when I first built my Titus RX29er... everything is so clean!!!

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Nice!

DFYFZX said:
I picked up a set of these and couldn't be happier! I run it 1x9 so I took the outer ring off and run it 29T up front with a 12-34 XTR cassette. These cranks aren't on the KCNC website, for whatever reason, but Yan has had them for sale for a couple months now on his Ebay site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KCNC-K-Type-XC2...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c5433f4d0
Did you say you can get that in a triple? Nice, but $$$$!!

The scandium BB kinda scares me. I am not a light mammal these days.

*edit*

dang... no compact triple. Only a 4 arm triple, compact double. I need my 20t up front.

20.100 FR said:
if you want something with external bearings, reaaly light, available in several lenghts (180, 185), and compatible with all spiders, then it exist !

Of course it s expansive. It's the lightning crankset.
dang... on the website it looks like the same thing here. No compact triple. Fooey!

Yeah, maybe I won't sell my XTs with the action tec 20t after all.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
morandi said:
I know $89.00 is a bit steep for a chainring. Although after my first few rides on it, the $89.00 was forgotten.
I wish I would have had a Surly Mr. Whirly 94/58 (I like the external BB cranksets), but alas an XT crankset was bolted on my bike. $89.00 is still a lot cheaper than a new crankset. At least thats how I justify it.
The chainring was easy to install, and just requires a flat file. Took all of 10min, and is really just a matter of filing a slight bevel on the bolt mounts. The instructions and visuals included with the crankset were excellent.
I also think about the replacement cost when the ring wears out.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shiggy said:
I also think about the replacement cost when the ring wears out.
I spend $45-50 bucks on tires that only last me a 3-6 months. Maxxis, geax, specialized are all done after that period of time. Bike stuff is just expensive, no matter how you slice it.

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
Been on 20 small ring and 30 middle since I started 29 wheels 4 years ago. Used to have a 40 big ring on my RIP but I break the teeth off after a few rides now just run a bash. I used to be able to buy 5 arm Raceface Turbines on E-Bay cheap...no more hard to find. Not that bad as Middleburn is a good solid crack and I like Phil Wood square taper BB. Actually old Shimano square taper are good and very cheap. As time goes on it seems to be a little harder finding compact replacement chainrings but they are still out there and very reasonably priced.

Dean

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Dial Tone said:
How hard was it to install the ring? I posted a question on their site asking if I could just send them cranks and have it installed by them but didn't get a response. I wanted to go with the 30-22 and 11-34 rather than the 32-22 and 11-36 cassette.
The mod is very simple with a file. In my opinion, it would be silly to send it to them to do the easy job for you. And the mod does not alter your cranks to the point that you couldn't go back to using the Shimano 32 ring at some point.

BB

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Padre said:
30t is a game changer for me. Makes by rides feel just right.
I was the same way. The 30t just made 29" wheels click for me too. I'm running 30/20.

After a while with a 30t on Turbine 94mm cranks and troublesome Isis bb's I wanted the stiffness and reliability of the XT external bb crank so I bought one and the Anderson 30T. The ring has been trouble free.

Next however I didn't like the super wide Q-factor of the XT cranks and wish I hadn't gone through the trouble of making the switch from the Turbines but at least I got away from Isis.

Some versions of the Race Face Deus XC external bb cranks are lighter than XT's and have a 10mm lower Q factor. I doubt they are as stiff but that's what I'm currently using.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also run a 30, it's night and day better than the 32.
I'm on a 1x9 and I can't recall ever wanting to shift past 9th gear even on the road.

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
I been preaching to this for years- the 30/20 combo is abfab- same ratios as a 26 32/22
I run Middleburns as the have sweet rings and BCD allowing for easy install/replacement.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts