Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife knows I am about to buy a 29er, probably a single speed. Last night she says, “so a 29er is the same size as 700c right?” “Yes”, I reply waiting to hear what she is up to. “Well then Christine and I are riding our “29ers” tomorrow, why don’t you clear the cob webs of your road bike and come with us?”

So we get a baby sitter and I ride with a group of 6 roadies. I know two of them from mountain biking.

In the spirit of John Cusack and High Fidelity here is a list I came up with describing the difference between roadie rides and mountain biking.

Roadies
1. Talk about body parts during the ride
2. Don’t wash water bottles enough
3. Know the number of weeks till next race
4. Finish with an espresso
5. Guys are clean shaved
6. Rides are in the morning
7. Falls involve cars and trucks and are avoided at all cost
8. Fast tri girls lead the pace line
9. Have HRM w/ GPS and cadence

MTB
1. Talk about bike parts during the ride
2. Have weird stuff growing in their hydration pack
3. Know where the next pub is
4. Finish with a beer
5. Girls are a little rough around the edges
6. Rides are in the late afternoon or night
7. Falls are frequent and funny
8. Fat guys lead the trail
9. Probably have an old tube in the bottom of the hydration pack

Now before you get all freaky with me because your girl friend is also a super model and you are allergic to caffeine, just add to the list and have fun!

PS it has been a really long time since I was on a road bike, and I had a pretty fun time this am.

·
Art is Resistance
10,375 Posts
I'm glad to hear that some people ill ride both mtbs and road bikes. I love my road bike, and i love wearing moutnain bike gloves, having a beard and hairy legs. "typical" roadies stress out a bit at that, and it's great.
They're all bikes, people, and they're all fun.

Sorry i didn't contribute to the eiter/or, but i wanted to say my little piece there.
Thanks, cary on, i'm enjoying everyone's comments!

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
SelfPropelledDevo said:
Roadies trip when i take my road bike with Zipps off road.

So true.. I've been on road rides where the road is closed and there is a dirt path around the gate. I just motored onto the path and around the gate. The other riders looked at my with crazy eyes. A couple followed me while others prefered to walk. I think it's good to take the road bike off road so you know what exactly can be done on it. That way you don't get too scared when you have to ride on some dirt.

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
I go both ways, so here goes...

mtbcraig said:
Now before you get all freaky with me because your girl friend is also a super model and you are allergic to caffeine, just add to the list and have fun!
Roadies -
A) Get upset when you show up with a camelbak instead of water bottles
B) Are literate
C) Have expectations of other riders in a paceline
D) Drop you off the back and forget your name
E) Know how to get aero
F) Enjoy a drinking a nice cab
G) Dont explain anything or answer questions
H) Argue about compact vs horizontal top tubes
I) Think dressing alike is a team/club thing
J) Worship carbon fiber

MTB'ers -
A) Get upset when you show up in lycra instead of baggies
B) Spel an talk good to
C) Just ride
D) Stop and regroup periodically
E) Know how to get aggro
F) Think cabs are only used for mass transit
G) Explain everything wrong
H) Argue about 4" vs 5" of travel
I) Think that dressing alike is gay
J) Fear carbon fiber

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Roadies : white sox or no sox
MTB'res : Surly Nerdlingers should be the standard

Roadies :
- get upset when in a race you close a huge gap solo, with the pack on your wheel
- don't understnd that if you regularly get dropped on smalltime crits, you can still everyone's ass when on MTB's.
- notice every little spot of dirt left on your bike (I only clean a bike I am trying to sell, or that won't roll unless I clean it)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
When I did more club training crits a couple years ago, I rode a TCR bike (looks like MTB being compact geometry. Of course I would sometimes show up with muddy mtb shoes, black socks, wide jersey, full finger gloves, helmet with visor, and oh, 1.5l Camelbak. Those roadies get so lazy in such rides...but when I jumped into a gap, they were oh so eager to catch me back, it was too funny.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Good Stuff, funny

How About:

Roades- ride in a single file line to make it easier
Mtb- ride in a single file line because they have no other choice

Roadies- color coordinate their entire outfit
Mtb- color coordinate all the components of their bike

Roadies- ride...well..road bikes
Mtb- ride xc hardtail bikes, xc full suspension bikes, downhill bikes, freeride bikes,
urban assault bikes, north shore bikes, rigid bikes, single speeds bikes, 29ers,and my
new personal favorite the "trail" bike. (did I forget anyone?)

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
It IS funny

I thoroughly embrace both road and mtb riding. It is funny how different the two aspects of the sport are and how little understanding many riders have for the half of the sport they do not know. When I ride with mtb'ers and try to talk for more than, say 10 seconds, about riding in a paceline, sprints, time trials, teamwork, etc., I get interrupted with a tirade about how gay roadies are. Similarly, I am unable to finish a sentence when talking to roadies about anything regarding MTB riding. Roadies and MTB'ers could learn a lot from each other if they would open their minds a little. I should not generalize, though. Most MTB xc pros do most of their training on road bikes, and some pros have jumped between road and MTBs, like Bob Roll, Cadel Evans, and probably a lot of others I do not know.

·
Registered
995 Posts
DirtDad said:
I thoroughly embrace both road and mtb riding. It is funny how different the two aspects of the sport are and how little understanding many riders have for the half of the sport they do not know. When I ride with mtb'ers and try to talk for more than, say 10 seconds, about riding in a paceline, sprints, time trials, teamwork, etc., I get interrupted with a tirade about how gay roadies are. Similarly, I am unable to finish a sentence when talking to roadies about anything regarding MTB riding. Roadies and MTB'ers could learn a lot from each other if they would open their minds a little. I should not generalize, though. Most MTB xc pros do most of their training on road bikes, and some pros have jumped between road and MTBs, like Bob Roll, Cadel Evans, and probably a lot of others I do not know.
I'd bet a lot if not most of us here either do or have done the road thing at some point or another. In fact, I'd bet a lot of folks had their start in cycling in the road bike resurgence 30 years ago. All my friends are roadies, and if it weren't for slagging on each other any way we can, I don't know what we'd do with all our off-bike time. There are definitely major areas of the two sides of the sport that are very different. And naturally, some people have a preference (some a strong preference) for one over the other. Really, that's ok. We're not all stupid & inexperienced, we just have likes & dislikes about one or the other. And some of us have them about both sides.

Our little Road vs Mt duels are well, overly harsh to say the least, so I won't post them here.

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
Roadies - freak out when they see rocks, gravel, potholes, bumps in road, and frantically point at the obstacle to warn others of the "danger".

Mtber's - specifically look for rocks, gravel, bumps, jumps in trail and purposely ride into and over them, insisting that the other riders try the same.

When I actually used to ride group road rides, I got a kick out of how bent out of shape one particular guy got about the fact that I left the metal spikes on the front of my Sidi's. He lived across the street from a friend of mine, and would always comment to him about it. He was a Cat 3 that thought he was a pro, and acted like it. I got mine on a mtb ride when he couldn't handle the intervals and the "bike skills" part of the ride. He never really gave me trouble again.

I still love watching the roadies freak out about a small strip of gravel or a pothole. I know it pisses off the guy behind me when I bunnyhop a pothole and then he's left to freak out about it b/c I wasn't there to point it out for him. :) I also love riding straight through the gravel sections while the rest of the group is frantically trying to ride around it. Some 28c tires and good bike balance goes a long way.

I still like my roadie friends, but man, roadies are way to obsessive about some asptects of the sport (mainly having to have the latest/greatest/lightest/newest thing). Maybe I'm a little too stuck in the past though, with my 8-speed drivetrain and singlespeeds.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
In defense of "roadies". The whole pointing to potholes, gravel, glass and such when riding is a safety thing. Have you ever seen what a pothole will do to a road wheel at 20 mph? How about when the person isn't expecting it? Not pretty.

As for gravel it's the same. If you don't see it, you can't be ready for it and it may take you down. I've got a friend who went to the hospital with severe lacerations to his face after hitting a patch of gravel somebody didn't point out and he ended up in a ditch with a bunch of really sharp rocks. Gravel on pavement is like ball bearings.

The glass, well that's about having to stop and fix a flat and yes roadies are a bit impatient most of the time and don't like their rides interupted with frequent flat tires. ;)

About the matching outfits...well road racing, and to a lesser extent XC racing, is a team sport and people like being part of a team. It makes them feel like they belong. You can't tell me all the baggy shorts and loose mountain bike clothing doesn't make you all look the same. If somebody shows up for a mountain bike ride wearing lycra they get ostracised for not being in the team "kit" (that being baggies and camel backs). :rolleyes:

That said, I've been a "roadie" for the past few years, but started my enjoyment of cycling off road and am eagerly looking forward to getting back on the dirt a lot more often.

Cheers!
-Ian

·
I ride, therefore I am.
232 Posts
DirtDad said:
I thoroughly embrace both road and mtb riding. It is funny how different the two aspects of the sport are and how little understanding many riders have for the half of the sport they do not know.
Most MTB xc pros do most of their training on road bikes, and some pros have jumped between road and MTBs, like Bob Roll, Cadel Evans, and probably a lot of others I do not know.
Been riding both for 2 decades, every week, and love each for their own reasons. I like mixing in fixed gear road and SS MTB with geared rides. I can't imagine how much I'd suck if I didn't have some road hours in my legs every week!

I do see the anal-retentive roadie prema donna types making the biggest fools of themselves though. We like to call 'em "PRO-4,5's"! Otherwise, most roadies I ride with are pretty cool and helpful. Unfortunately, the elitist a-hole attitudes can be seen in some XC races, but the extreme majority of MTB riders are the coolest.
:cool:

Yep, some of the comparisons aren't realistic, but they sure as hell are funny! Thx
:D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.