Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a thread a while back about the loudest hubs, but what is the loudest freewheel? I like a loud one on my commuter so people can hear me on the MUP.
Thanks

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
I think it is the nature of the beast....

However I do second the ACS freewheel....after being used a while its gets way louder...and my White Industries was loud straight outta the box...Its as loud as a :band: :D

·
Get out of town!
1,442 Posts
I have a Hope Bulb that is loud - dunno how it compares to a King though.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
WI Trials FW

The White Industries eno freewheel is loud, but when I got the trials version (2x pawls), I was very impressed with the extra noise.

Not sure it is a viable warning device for commuting...Might want to consider a horn or bell.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a white ind. and it is kind of loud, but not really loud enough to hear from that big of a distance, pedestrians will know you are there as soon as you are on their a$$. Get a incredibell...

·
Look at the time!
1,144 Posts
we all know CK and hügi hubs are pretty annoy.. i mean noisy - but the OP is talking about screw on freewheels!

However I do second the ACS freewheel....after being used a while its gets way louder...and my White Industries was loud straight outta the box
thirded
the ACS gets louder because the grease gets washed out. it's pretty loud, and after a short while, broken. Other cheap freewheels seem to have less claws so they are not as noisy.

the only cheap freewheel i had that didn't start to make noise while pedalling was a DICTA (german). still, the WI is the only screw on freewheel that's worth its money. i don't care about the sound though, and the price to pay for a gear change is way too steep, so I'm going back to a cassette hub.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,672 Posts
lelebebbel said:
we all know CK and hügi hubs are pretty annoy.. i mean noisy - but the OP is talking about screw on freewheels!

Right on, lelebebbel. By the time I finally reached your reply I was beginning to wonder, "How many don't know the difference between a freehub and a freewheel?" :rolleyes:

--Sparty

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
Louder?

I like the sound of my ENO free wheel and I don't consider it loud at all compared to my Hadley SS hub. Is the trials version of the ENO really louder than the normal ones?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.