Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had Shimano m785 brake before but new bike I bought came installed. I have been noticing loud "tick" sound from front caliper every time I pull the brake lever. Bike has to be moving to hear this noise, meaning stand still and pull the lever no noise. Strangely rear brake does not make this sound. Checked all bolts on caliper and rotors are tight. Anyone know what could be the cause?

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No just once as soon as I grab the front brake lever I hear loud "tick". I dont hear it again if I dont let go of the front brake lever. As soon as I let go of the lever and grab it again I hear "tick" sound again. It is not the fork as I am very familiar with creaky crown sound from past experience on many forks. It is coming from caliper body. All I have to do is gently or very lightly grab the lever, seems like as soon as pads touches the rotor I hear the "tick" sound but it's very loud.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Does it have to be on the ground rolling or can you do this while the front wheel is up?
Could simply be the pads slipping forward or upward in the caliper body and when they slam into the caliper body they go "click".

Put a shim of something absorbent (paper, portion of a business card, tape, etc.) between the pad edge (really the pad backing plate) and the inside of the the caliper body. Try again.

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havent tried with front wheel up and spinning, always while I am riding. No noise when bike is still of course.

I suspect pad could be moving around but couldnt figure out how to test it and why rear dont have the same noise issue. I am coming from BB7 so I didnt know if this is normal for shimano hydro brakes or not.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I havent tried with front wheel up and spinning, always while I am riding. No noise when bike is still of course.

I suspect pad could be moving around but couldnt figure out how to test it and why rear dont have the same noise issue. I am coming from BB7 so I didnt know if this is normal for shimano hydro brakes or not.
Don't worry about the rear for now. Tolerances on parts can do it.

Just try shimming the front as I say for now.

Also, make sure your rotor bolts or centerlock nut is tight.

·
Magically Delicious
9,822 Posts
What about grabbing the brake and rocking the wheel back and forth while watching the caliper and see if you can hear it and see if the pads (as previously suggested) are moving within the caliper body. Might could even do this on the ground by grabbing brake and rocking bike back and forth to replicate the issue. The sound or 'tick' might not be as pronounced though by utilizing this method, but I would not think this too difficult to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've had this issue on my bike since I got it, never could figure it out. For me, it's the rear and it'll do it in the stand when I spin the wheel and grab the lever. I checked all the bolts on the brake and rotor and no play in the hub. I didn't even think about the pads "sliding" but that makes total sense.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the same brakes, and I get a slight ticking sometimes as well. I think it has to do with the fact that there is a small, normal amount of play with the brakes in the caliper. When you brake. the pads will then hit up against one side of the caliper, resulting in a "click." Just my guess. I've been riding for a while now with 0 issues.

·
Registered
Yeti sb 115 T3
113 Posts
Can this be the reason too? The space between the pads and the rotor could be large? As the pads make contact with the rotor, it could make a sound.

·
Registered
Yeti sb 115 T3
113 Posts
Im using hope brakes. Sometimes i hear it. Sometimes none. I'll try to lessen the gap. Lets see if it will.work

·
Registered
150 Posts
Never had Shimano m785 brake before but new bike I bought came installed. I have been noticing loud "tick" sound from front caliper every time I pull the brake lever. Bike has to be moving to hear this noise, meaning stand still and pull the lever no noise. Strangely rear brake does not make this sound. Checked all bolts on caliper and rotors are tight. Anyone know what could be the cause?
I have the SLX brakes, which came with the cheesy cotter pin, which had an even greater gap between the pin and the brake pad hole, which made all kinds of noises on the trail.

I ordered some XT Pins and installed them and most of the noise has gone away as the pin/brake ID is much tighter fit, but occasionally i get the click. I think its normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts