Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my SRS and it is really loud. Is that common? I vaguely remember reading that it was quiet. I checked everything and it is put on correct. I have an 8 speed and when it is up on the largest gear in the rear it is really loud! Any suggestions? Thanks.
 

·
Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,063 Posts
cake96861 said:
I just installed my SRS and it is really loud. Is that common? I vaguely remember reading that it was quiet. I checked everything and it is put on correct. I have an 8 speed and when it is up on the largest gear in the rear it is really loud! Any suggestions? Thanks.
Does it have the "stealth roller"? If not the other roller is basically hard plastic, same as some of the other parts. It will be loud if it is the hard version. Either way, Jonas from e-13 has a way of popping up in these threads & making life wonderfull again. He has stepped up to the plate repeatedly on mtbr. Be patient, if you wait....he will come....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
man w/ one hand said:
Does it have the "stealth roller"? If not the other roller is basically hard plastic, same as some of the other parts. It will be loud if it is the hard version. Either way, Jonas from e-13 has a way of popping up in these threads & making life wonderfull again. He has stepped up to the plate repeatedly on mtbr. Be patient, if you wait....he will come....
The roller came attached to that plastic tree, so if that's the case then it isnt a "stealth roller"? What exactly is the difference between the regular roller and the stealth, besides the cool name?
 

·
Bum Buzzer
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Jettj45 said:
Mine was always loud. I use an mrp now, i like it a lot better, holds chain better.
Umm.. NO.

ANd its friggin ugly and fragile. (Lets redesign the backplate to be more like E-13 -- DOH still sucks)

Friggin MRP

BwahHa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,381 Posts
check the roller itself

If I am reading right it is the bottom roller that is causing the noise...make sure there are no numbs of plastic still attached, these can sometimes hide and cause all sorts of noise. the other thing might be that it is too tight, causing too much friction against the roller, try rotating the back plate about 5-10 degrees counterclockwise this will slacken up the tension. Do this and see if you can find a happy medium between holding the chain and quiet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fiddy_ryder said:
you said its loudest when in the largest cog.. my guess is an alignment problem. how is your chain line without the guide? using any washers to space the guide?
Without the guide it was fine, and I did use three spacers from the iscg mount to the backplate to get that even with the botton roller. I may go home and take out one and see of that help?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
canada17 said:
If I am reading right it is the bottom roller that is causing the noise...make sure there are no numbs of plastic still attached, these can sometimes hide and cause all sorts of noise. the other thing might be that it is too tight, causing too much friction against the roller, try rotating the back plate about 5-10 degrees counterclockwise this will slacken up the tension. Do this and see if you can find a happy medium between holding the chain and quiet.
No plastic bits still attached, I tightened the bolts to spec. Ill look at rotating the backplate and see if that helps. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
804 Posts
cake96861 said:
I just installed my SRS and it is really loud. Is that common? I vaguely remember reading that it was quiet. I checked everything and it is put on correct. I have an 8 speed and when it is up on the largest gear in the rear it is really loud! Any suggestions? Thanks.
If it is only making noise in the largest gear in the back, my guess is that either your chain line is bad, or the backplate is too close to the chainring.

How is your chain line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
frank n. beans said:
If it is only making noise in the largest gear in the back, my guess is that either your chain line is bad, or the backplate is too close to the chainring.

How is your chain line?
What do u mean my chain line, if ur talking about my chain its brand new sram with the quick release link or whatever??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
cake96861 said:
What do u mean my chain line, if ur talking about my chain its brand new sram with the quick release link or whatever??
chain line is the path the chain follows.. usually you would setup the chain line with teh chain in the middle on the front and back gears.. make sure it is straight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
fiddy_ryder said:
chain line is the path the chain follows.. usually you would setup the chain line with teh chain in the middle on the front and back gears.. make sure it is straight.
Gotcha, Ill have to take a look.
 

·
My arm hurts a little
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
Ya I have the same Prob. with my top guide. Makes a lot of noise when in top gear. But when DH'ing it's always in bottom gear and the chain is stright and make's no noise. The chain will change angles when shifting. I don't think their is a way to change it, no noise for all gears.

MRP Vs. E-13 = E-13 anyday of the week. MRP Catches and grabs onto rocks, roots and everything else. E-13 slides over everything. (Kinda of like being on ICE)
 

·
Some Assembly Required
Joined
·
4,063 Posts
cake96861 said:
The roller came attached to that plastic tree, so if that's the case then it isnt a "stealth roller"? What exactly is the difference between the regular roller and the stealth, besides the cool name?
The steath roller is very soft. When you have the chain on the biggest rear cog, 1st gear, it is putting more tension on the chain = more pressure on the roller. Soft roller = quiet, hard roller = louder clicking on the chain. Might want to re-czech the spacer stack behind the guide plate & your chain line....uuuummmm,hhmmmm.
 

·
I like air!
Joined
·
915 Posts
What kind of noise is it making? It could be the roller gear clicking or the chain/chainring grinding against the large round bash guard?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
The steath roller is very soft. When you have the chain on the biggest rear cog, 1st gear, it is putting more tension on the chain = more pressure on the roller. Soft roller = quiet, hard roller = louder clicking on the chain. Might want to re-czech the spacer stack behind the guide plate & your chain line....uuuummmm,hhmmmm.
I think you are confusing guides...he said he has an SRS, not a DRS. The steath roller would be used on the DRS, and the SRS uses a pulley with teeth.

cake96861 - To eliminate the guess work, and solve the set up problem quickly, you should just call the e13/evil guys. (207) 772-3132
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
milhouse said:
What kind of noise is it making? It could be the roller gear clicking or the chain/chainring grinding against the large round bash guard?
No it isnt that, I think it has to do with the alignment of the chain and when I go through the highest and lowest gears.....
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top