Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Define "play". As in after the fork/stem installed?

You really couldn't take the time to correct "orbea" to "orbit"? I mean the "e" is nowhere near the "i" and the "a" is nowhere near the "t". lazy, lazy, lazy. For shame.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Actually fred3 it's you who are wrong, he typed correctly, but not completely - his Orbea Scape MTB - he just also happens to have an Orbit headset trying to install in a Orbea Scape MTB :D easy with jumping on the newbs :nono:

fred3 said:
Define "play". As in after the fork/stem installed?

You really couldn't take the time to correct "orbea" to "orbit"? I mean the "e" is nowhere near the "i" and the "a" is nowhere near the "t". lazy, lazy, lazy. For shame.
To the OP, as asked define "play". Are you sure it's the right headset for that bike? Looks like an Internal / Zero Stack headset, so which Orbit did you buy? You should have bought either the OrbitZ 1, ZR or ZS. However that frame might take an integrated headset which uses no cups, the bearings just go straight into the frame, so some clarification is necessary before we can give you help.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i purchased the Z1, when i drop the bearings in, the bearings just move around in the headtube where the bearing is suppose to sit resulting in play. I can move the fork's steertube like a joystick almost. Hope this clarifies my problem. It's on rather tight so any help would be great.

·
Registered
397 Posts
nj0ywatch1np0rn said:
i purchased the Z1, when i drop the bearings in, the bearings just move around in the headtube where the bearing is suppose to sit resulting in play. I can move the fork's steertube like a joystick almost. Hope this clarifies my problem. It's on rather tight so any help would be great.
Are the bearings in the right cups? Is your starnut moving up the steerer when you tighten? Stem tight? The steerer will move until you have it all together and tight....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yup all the bearings are in the right cups and the starnut does move up as i tighten it. The stem is super duper tight and the spacers underneath it is tight but the steer tube still rocks? I had a friend at a bike shop help me install it and seemed tight after installation. I guess i just never noticed it until now. I may just have to take it to a LBS but would like to do it myself since it seems its a simple problem

·
Registered
397 Posts
nj0ywatch1np0rn said:
and the starnut does move up as i tighten it.
Well there's your problem...the starnut should NOT move when you tighten the screw in the topcap. It seems your starnut did not "seat" properly. You'll need to have a new one installed in your steerer or try it yourself (can be tedious without the tool).

You can also get a headlock or Conix which will eliminate the use of star fangled nut. Like here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7198781595&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...70009306165&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Have you by chance downloaded the FSA PDF showing the drawings of the headsets to make sure you haveall the parts for the headset? Sounds sort of like you're missing a part - unless as suggested, the star nut is sliding up the steerer tube in which case you're not getting proper tension on the stem, spacers etc.

Seems like maybe you are missing the race that fits snuggly on the steerer tube and interacts with the actual bearings instead of the sterer tube.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Might have figured it out

:D You didn't happen to by accident order a 1.5" version instead of a 1 1/8" version did you????

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
correction, the starnut doesnt move. The headset came with what looked like 2 cartridge bearings, top cap, a metal spacer which looks like it goes in between the steer tube and bearing, race and another small spacer. Looking at it, there is about .5-.75mm of movement at the bearing area which makes the handlebar movement a little more significant. It is indeed a 1 1/8 version as shown on the package and from the printed manuel that came with it. I'll prob just have to take it to a LBS if i can't figure this out because i've heard of the integrated headset bearings shifting around and damaging the headtube.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Now you're using conflicting names/terms here - is it Internal or Integrated, which is it? They two completely different types of headsets and if you're sposed to be using a Integrated headset and ordered a OrbitZ then you've got the wrong headset. Integrated headsets don't have/use cups, the bearings just go straight into the headtube.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the headtube is integrated. I just dropped the catridge bearings in like the instructions say and put a metal spacer in and put a top cap on it and add the regular spacers for the right handlebar height. I'll take some pics when i get home tonight, maybe that'll help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.