Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems there is always a Nomad for sale when I check the Classifieds, with few miles, great condition, "must sell". Why are so many people selling these bikes after such little use? Seems like the Nomad more so than other bikes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Many people (like myself) talk themselves into the best bike on the market and then realize the best bike in the market is not really the bike they needed...

I would no doubt keep my nomad if the terrain I rode called for such a bike.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
They probably want to upgrade to an '07 model with the 1-1/2" head tube..... (like that makes any difference!)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sorry to say that I did not step up the the VP-Free... I gracefully took a step down to the Intense 5.5, but don't worry... As soon as Santa Cruz steps up in the 5.5 inch VPP department I will be back. I have been a proud owner of 4 Santa Cruz bikes and I don't think it will stop there...

ALSO, I am by all means not saying the Blur LT is crap. I just really don't like the look or ride of that particular frame. I really wish I did, being a loyal Santa Cruz rider over the past 4 years...

To each his own...

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
SC getting production together...

I think that its because SC has their production $hit together now and are getting them out the door, people are riding them, and some people like them, some think its too much, some too little (I'm talking to you IB). Therefore, with more on the trails, in the shops, there will be more to be picked up on the open market, new, like new, and used.

We have 3 or 4 of them here now, some complete, some frames. Doesn't mean its been a bad year for the Nomad, just the opposite, its been a good year for the Nomad, sales wise. But, when so many of them sell, its simple business economics to have them ready for people to buy. Hint, hint, we still have IB's bike that he rode only once and then switched to a VPFree, if anyone is interested, as we cannot in good concience sell it as "new". After they hear his ass has been sweating on the saddle...automatic 20% discount... :D

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Some of the Nomads you see for sale are owned by shops and independent dealers; they ride a bike for the season and sell them. For most people, putting a Nomad together is an expensive proposition; sometimes life happens and ya need money; I've come close to selling my bike a few times-whew, so far, so good.

In addition, I agree with esquire, some people figure out the Nomad is not what they're looking for; I can't remember how many bikes I've owned and sold; please don't remind me either.

One thing I can honestly say; when I stop and think about what I would get to replace my Nomad, I come up empty handed. I know a lot of people in the bike business and I could probably find a good deal on another frame. But at the end of the day, the only change I'd make is to get an anodized paint job; the 1.5 inch head tube might be cool-I'm guessing it's a little taller.

Ok, there is another bike I'd consider, but I still wouldn't give up my Nomad; the Blur 4 x looks sweet; wish I could have both.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Its waaaay more bike then most people need.

I think the Nomad is just a lot more bike then 99% of the riding public will ever need.

Some people buy it because its on the front of MBA and they are having a mid-life riding crisis and HAVE to drop $5k on the latest hoopty bike. They get on it and suddenly realize that they were not really intending to become Freeride Freddy or something and ditch it.

Hell, while I've never, EVER even considered selling my Nomad I damn well have had moments of.... lets call it FS guilt over riding my 6.5" "AM" trailbike Nomad on trails that I've always been able to rock on my 23lb hardtail XC bike.

Lets be honest, not every trail calls for the Nomad, even though the Nomad will make alost every trail more fun. :thumbsup:

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
benja55 said:
I think the Nomad is just a lot more bike then 99% of the riding public will ever need.

Some people buy it because its on the front of MBA and they are having a mid-life riding crisis and HAVE to drop $5k on the latest hoopty bike. They get on it and suddenly realize that they were not really intending to become Freeride Freddy or something and ditch it.

Hell, while I've never, EVER even considered selling my Nomad I damn well have had moments of.... lets call it FS guilt over riding my 6.5" "AM" trailbike Nomad on trails that I've always been able to rock on my 23lb hardtail XC bike.

Lets be honest, not every trail calls for the Nomad, even though the Nomad will make alost every trail more fun. :thumbsup:
Any guilt I might feel over my VP Free, is quickly washed away each time I get on my ht for a quick ride. A 1/2 hr on that thing and my butt is beggin' for my full sus'er.
Truth be told, we could all get by on Wally world bikes if we had to. But aren't you glad we don't. We'd have to replace them more often than we do now, but it would be due to breakage, etc. Manily component probs, the frames are like tanks.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
benja55 said:

I've seen a few--guys riding the flat trails where I live, with DC forks to boot . . . I think it might just be too much bike for some. What a sweeet bike, though. I'f buy one in a sec if I was shopping for one . . .

·
Registered
170 Posts
I understand the gotta have it now or I am going to die, then oh crap this is way more then I really wanted feeling.

The Nomad can be such a different bike for so many different riders. You get a guy/gal who sees it, is only able to try it out in a parking lot and loves it. They take it to their normal favorite trail and get loads of compliments or laughs for having that bike.

I do not need a bike that can be hucked or taken down some downhill runs, BUT...I can make mine more XC friendly with a longer stem lighter components and simply enjoy the Nomad that way. I love it when people get honked off when you are not thrashing the Nomad. We all have our opinions, but the nomad seems to really elicit strong feedback.

If you get a biking beginner (rare probably) or someone who knows how to ride, but is not very well learned in the maintenance/mechanical aspect, the Nomad may simply be too much.

Anyway, for what it is worth I too have seen more and more Nomads up for sale.

I guess some people didn't give it enough time to really build the Nomad that best suited them, instead of what they see others doing or others teling them to do.

Imagine how strong an effect others can have on how you view yourself.

OR

something way less thoughtful and emotional then what i said earlier! :D

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yup...

Fanaticbiking said:
I guess some people didn't give it enough time to really build the Nomad that best suited them, instead of what they see others doing or others teling them to do.

:D
This is a VERY true statement. We get guys asking about all kinds of stuff they "seen" on the internet and are willing to spend hundreds or thousands more than they really need to, and some of them we can prove that they don't need it, and some, well, they get it all and are willing to pay for it. If you have the scratch, make your biking experience what you want it to be and then some, but if you don't, do some homework.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I like this thread:thumbsup: I belong to a couple bike clubs, many of the riders are XC oriented; very skilled and very strong-they do rides I wouldn't think of, on any style of bike. That said, many people think the longer travel-over 5 inch bikes are overkill for most applications. In addition, some think riding a rigid or short travel XC style bike will build skills better than a long travel bike; there's more opinions than you can count.

If there's anything that gets my attention quick, it's jumping on a hard tail or short travel bike; I immediately shift into survival mode. But when I ride my Nomad, I can enjoy myself; I relax and settle into the trail-I think it's called flow.

It took me a long time to determine my personal style of riding and figure out which style of bike is the best fit; I spent tons of money on XC type bikes:madman: Finally, I figured out a full suspension with longer travel is what I enjoy; I wouldn't go back to a short travel bike with steep geometry for anything; those things beat me up bad.

Like Esquire said, a lot of people buy bikes because they think it's what they want or it's what somebody else says is cool or good; they don't know what bike fits they're personal style of riding; I know that's what happened to me-more than once.

I would consider less travel if the bike had slack geometry and a good suspension system, but I'd be looking for a longer travel bike for shuttle rides and trips to Whistler. For now, the Nomad keeps me looking forward to every ride-it's still the best bike I've owned.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
interesting

My question was kind of rhetorical since there are multiple reasons, but I am curious. BTW I ride a Blur XC, which I love. I'm sure the Nomad is nice but my riding is XC oriented.

·
Registered
170 Posts
jimmy said:
My question was kind of rhetorical since there are multiple reasons, but I am curious. BTW I ride a Blur XC, which I love. I'm sure the Nomad is nice but my riding is XC oriented.
Ahh, that is what I was looking for. This is my point...J, I too ride more XC then anything else. Hell that is all I ride. Some people would say the Nomad is the most stupid bike I could have bought. I should've gone with a.....insert 5 or 5- inches of travel.

"The Nomad is for guys who are hard core!" Ok, but like Turtle said I like riding XC, the Nomad makes anything I ride just a bit more fun, and loads more comfortable.

I, me, myself, just good ol' Dave, wants HIS Nomad to be a long travel XC bike. So for ME, it is cool.

I bet there are loads of people who would roll there eyes if I do not have a 2.3 or 2.5 tire, coil shock, chain guide and wicked short stem. But that is ok, because the nomad is a different bike for them.

Your original post is a great question. Why is a bike so highly coveted seen with such little use.

I bet there are tons of reasons.

Good question regardless of all of our own personal nonsense! :thumbsup:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Truth be told, we could all get by on Wally world bikes if we had to.
WHOAH there, cowboy. Speak for yourself.

My father is cheap has a strange penchant for buying Wally-world bikes, and as a consequence I have a bit of exposure to them (mostly having to fix the dumb things). The bottom brackets ususally disolve after the first heavy dew, and the forks can be bottomed even in the mild tranny from the driveway to the street. You truly get what you pay for with those... :(

You probably meant it as a humble, self-deprecatory rhetorical statement, but it's still wrong. :D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
benja55 said:

That is exactly right for me. My Nomad is more bike than i'll ever need, especilly with the build i've got, i'm having fun an every trail and am confident in my equipment. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.