Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1999 Spec' FSR Comp there are a lot of times when the chain gets pretty loose. Like if I'm pedaling fast in higher gears and I stop and pedal backwards like 1/8th of a turn...or bouncing around over stuff. It just seems like the chain is never all that tight.

The rear derailer is a Shimano Deore XT and probably the original one from 1999. I guess the spring is probably weakened from use over the years? Can I replace the spring or do I need a whole new unit?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Could be the chain is too long or the gear combination you're in. Backpedaling doesn't help either. Depending on the terrain you're going to get some slap regardless. Are you in the large chainring when this is happening?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chain could be too long. I have a hardtail that is new this year and the FSR always seems like the chain is too loose in comparison like the derailer isn't keeping it tight or something. I'll have to post some pics and look at it closer.

I'm mostly in the middle up front.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
The rear derailer is a Shimano Deore XT and probably the original one from 1999.
Um..you have a 12 year old rear der. I bet the spring is not the only tired aspect of the unit. Grab the bottom jockey wheel and waggle it to and fro towards the spokes. I imagine there is a fair amount of slop there too.

Hoot mon! Pry open your wallet and pop for a new rear der.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Also the hub's freewheel could be turning with the wheel, due to lack of maintenance. The upper run of chain goes slack while coasting or back-pedaling, due to sludged up grease or worn bearings.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea there is some slack and yes I was wondering if it was just worn out lol. I'll look into the freehub and stuff.

I suppose I could just go with Deore XT again unless there is advantages worthwhile to upgrading.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not allowed to downgrade anything lol. This bike though 12 years old is still nicer than my 2011 Hardrock (goes nicer too) and is a complete joy to ride. So ima stick with same level or above.

Checked out the freewheel and it seems to be doing well.

This has 9 in the back.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Not allowed to downgrade anything lol. This bike though 12 years old is still nicer than my 2011 Hardrock (goes nicer too) and is a complete joy to ride. So ima stick with same level or above.
No shame in getting good components, but I would suggest the new SLX or Deore derailleurs are not a step down in component level to a 12 year old well-used XT :)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I still haven't gotten one yet but I took it out on trails today and noticed it was changing gears a lot on bumps and often wasn't changing when I told it to so I am going to get one ASAP!

One thing i saw was that most of it's undesirable wobble was coming from the bolt thing it hangs off of. Am i going to need a new hanger assembly thing? Is there going to be a specific kind I need? I haven't had the thing apart and off yet.

I might have an LBS change it to save me the hassle...hoping they actually have a nice one in stock etc!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice!! Thanks for the photos. I took it into this place with super cool people and they are going to replace it, the hanger, cable and housing as well as some other minor tuneup stuff. Bit of a learning experience!

The photos really clued me in on how it hangs. Is there some sort of bushing on the main bolt it hangs on or is it all one piece?

·
Registered
645 Posts
zephxiii said:
The photos really clued me in on how it hangs. Is there some sort of bushing on the main bolt it hangs on or is it all one piece?
If I get you correctly, you mean how RD is attached to the hanger. It is bolted to the hanger as show in the photo below. The main problem with the slack chain is due to the Tension Spring in the RD, which has loss its tension over long usage or lack of maintenance. A good RD has a second hole on the Pulley's Arm where the Tension Spring can be further stretch to increase its tension. Hence, it is worthwhile to invest in good components, for lasting usage and ease of maintenance.

This is how the Tension Spring looks like after it was taken out from the Axle Unit.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok cool thanks. They ended up taking it apart, cleaning etc and putting on a new chain. The chain slack problem seemed to be noticeably better but there is still wobble at the bolt it hangs from. They also replaced all the cabling and it shifts better but it still seems to want to snag a neighboring gear...though not as often.

I will see what the LBS back at home has tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Ok I still haven't gotten one yet but I took it out on trails today and noticed it was changing gears a lot on bumps and often wasn't changing when I told it to so I am going to get one ASAP!

One thing i saw was that most of it's undesirable wobble was coming from the bolt thing it hangs off of. Am i going to need a new hanger assembly thing? Is there going to be a specific kind I need? I haven't had the thing apart and off yet.

I might have an LBS change it to save me the hassle...hoping they actually have a nice one in stock etc!
Have the hanger alignment checked. Even new hangers need to be checked and aligned for proper shifting.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took it in to my local LBS and they said the tension needed adjustment....no one wants me to have a new rear der lol. I did point out the wobble at the bolt, yes there seems to be a bushing, and still no body really seems to think it is an issue....maybe i should post a video.

Out on the trails afterwards it seemed better. It is at least a night and day difference from when I had it out on Thursday.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha i'm still battling with this issue.

I have bought a B-axle assembly (bolt, o-ring, bushing, spring, thingy with screw in it) to see if that will tighten it up any.

I'm also thinking that the cassette may be causing problems so I'm scoping out a new one...not sure if i have 9speed hub or regular? I just saw those options when I was looking at cassettes?

I need to get front crank gears as well...but gonna work on the back first.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hubs that accept Shimano cassettes and that are designated 8, 9 or 10 have the same sized freehub body (the part of the hub that the cassette slides on to). I am not sure what distinction you are making in the your phrase: "not sure if I have a 9speed hub or regular." You drivertrain is 12 years old and it would seem that you have not maintained it. Just get a new cassette, new derailleur and new chain and be done with it. And make sure the derailleur hanger is properly aligned, of course.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Keep in mind I acquired this bike back in August...

That description was just something from the list of cassettes at bikeparts.com ...ones of different brand that may not be exactly compatible.

It currently has a Shimano HG70 11-32 9speed cassette, so I'm probably gonna go for a Shimano HG50 11-34 9spd..if that's gonna work lol.

I'll need to get some new chainrings...will figure that out after i get the back done though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.