Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
mauna ona liquid
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TALAS rear shock on my Liquid 10 did not stay adjustable very long. Fox wants me to send it back for repair. I was pretty much only using full travel anyway because I'm either climbing or going downhill for the most part. So I'm thinking of replacing it with something else, with a Float RP3 or a Swinger 3-way.

Anyone else have this problem with their rear shock? What did Fox do for you, if anything?

·
Registered
797 Posts
My Talas had an annoying rattle any time the bike...

hit any bump. I called Fox, they said they never heard of this problem. They said, "send it in, we'll look at it>" I called Trek, told them the my Liquid is a great bike, except it rattles like a trash truck because of the Talus shock. They "arranged" to swap my Talus for an extra Manitou Swinger 3-way they had laying around. Holy cow! What a difference. Don't waste your time with Fox unless you have no alternative. Keep in mind that the 8-1/4" Swinger only fits 03 and 04 Liquids, and Manitou has tons of them (they told me that), as the new Liquids use a 7-1/2" shock. Have you had your bike less than a year? Give Trek a call.

·
Registered
797 Posts
hey, Soysurfer, I just saw your other post...

the Talus eye-to-eye is 7-7/8 or 8 or 8-1/8 (or something very close to that) depending on the travel setting, and the Manitou Swinger FOR THE TREK LIQUIDS is 8-1/4". You will not find this eye-to-eye shock listed on the Manitou page since it was made special for Trek. The Talus is a very soft-riding shock-blows thru travel easily. The Swinger is the opposite- the first 4" of rear travel is easy to get, but that last inch requires huge forces, like a roof drop by a gorilla, not that I would know. I'm old and don't do that stuff (I weigh 175lbs).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Trek Number

dumper said:
hit any bump. I called Fox, they said they never heard of this problem. They said, "send it in, we'll look at it>" I called Trek, told them the my Liquid is a great bike, except it rattles like a trash truck because of the Talus shock. They "arranged" to swap my Talus for an extra Manitou Swinger 3-way they had laying around. Holy cow! What a difference. Don't waste your time with Fox unless you have no alternative. Keep in mind that the 8-1/4" Swinger only fits 03 and 04 Liquids, and Manitou has tons of them (they told me that), as the new Liquids use a 7-1/2" shock. Have you had your bike less than a year? Give Trek a call.
I have the same problem as soysurfer with my 03 Liquid with the Talas. I lost the ability to adjust travel. I took your advice dumper and tried calling Trek, they referred me to Fox. Trek wouldn't do anything for me. I called Fox and they wanted to charge me between $60 and $100 to rebuild it. I'm tempted to just go pickup a Manitou Swinger from GoRide.com. I called Romic and they also mentioned that they had something that would fit my Trek. Any thoughts on the Romic?

·
mauna ona liquid
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I just bought a 3-way

Well dumper, thanks again for the advice, I tried. Don't know how you managed to pull that one off. Talked to a couple of different people at Trek and they all tried to send me to Fox.

So here' s what I did. I've been planning all along on replacing the Black Comp fork on the Liquid 10 with a Fox TALAS RLC. This fork is in the neighborhood of $650. Ouch! So then I see this screaming deal on a Marzocchi Z1 FR ETA. Bit more of a freeride fork than the fox and only a pound heavier and I've been getting more freeride anyway. (Heard great things about both forks). Picked up the 04 model for $300 on supergo.com. Unreal! So does that extra $350 I saved going to set in my bank account? Of course not! Picked up the Manitou Swinger 3-way for $350!

Whole new suspension system coming my way! yippee!

I'll have the Fox Talas rebuilt (still under warranty) and either e-bay it or keep as a spare.

Jpat: don't know anything about the Romic's, but it appears that the Fox Talas and the Swinger 3-way are the only choices if you want a shock that is the proper fit for the Liquid. The 8.25x2.0 size is Trek proprietary and those two shocks were made special for it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Manitou Swinger 3-way

soysurfer said:
Jpat: don't know anything about the Romic's, but it appears that the Fox Talas and the Swinger 3-way are the only choices if you want a shock that is the proper fit for the Liquid. The 8.25x2.0 size is Trek proprietary and those two shocks were made special for it.
Soysurfer, thanks for the info. I was thinking about the Swinger as well. Do you have any recommendations on where to get the Swinger? How long did it take?

·
mauna ona liquid
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just ordered it

I got mine from BeyondBikes.com for $355 with shipping to Hawaii, and that includes the mount kits. Universalbikes and go-ride also can order them for you ... I don't think anyone has them in stock. I think I saved $10-20 on my deal compared to the others when shipping and mount kit is figured in. If you prefer one of the other vendors go with them; i'd never used any of them so why not save a few bucks.

Just ordered it today so I can't say how long or ultimately what customer service I'll get. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.