Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes this is a lame thread. Probably should run away now. Here is my rant/whine/complaint. I live in Florida. It is HOT. Yes, I normally ride early to beat the heat, but that is an extra layer of suck on top of the fact there are no mountains here. Dont get me wrong. There are a few great trails here (Santos), but I have to drive an hour to get to any. Plus summer time means that my daughter is out of school and it is a wonderful opportunity to spend time together with the family. For me summer is when I retire the bike and focus on family (and heat). I got to go to Moab a couple of weeks ago and that was a great way to end my season.

I visit MTBR to live vicariously through the posts of others. I guess this is what it feels like to live up north and be dying for the snow to melt and get back out there? There used to be a plethora of posts with alluring pics of Whistler, snow capped mountains or endless Fruita singletrack. Now the boards are fillled with semi-lame posts like this one. All I see is "I hate roadies", "Why boutique bikes suck", yadda yadda blah blah.

Will somebody PLEASE post some good threads so I can daydream about far off places away from the swamp and the city? Please?

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

That's what I am talking about. What is the weather like up there?

On the first pic, is that a hiking trail that goes off and up to the right or is that a downhill connector joining in on that trail?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Spartacus Rex said:
That's what I am talking about. What is the weather like up there?

On the first pic, is that a hiking trail that goes off and up to the right or is that a downhill connector joining in on that trail?
That's funny I just noticed that too...I'd guess it's a game trail..ya know deer and stuff

oh and the weather has been nice mid to upper 80s..low 90s

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
I feel your pain, I lived in Plantation and Lauderhill for 2 years back in the early 90s. Too hot to do anything strenuous in the summer down there! Check back Sunday/Monday for pics from Whistler (where we're headed in about 5 minutes).

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
They're out there. How about a race report that's over three years old? ;-) Click here.

LOL

My friend was cleaning out his in-box this morning and sent me this old link that ended up saved in his account for all that time. No wonder he needed to clean it out! He had asked how my race went so instead of typing it all over again I just sent him the link.

I didn't realize how insecure I am about my writing until I realized I seem to start many of my write-ups the same way (started another one the same way about 3 or 4 weeks ago). Anyway, it's three years old but it'll still pass your time a little maybe ;-) It took me back. That was such a good day.

Ska! (whose remembering a fantastic race day in the saddle)

Still 157lbs

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Sorry Rex, no sympathy from me. I'm a WPB area resident and have to drive 1 hour to the nearest good trail, other closer options have been shut down (ft. pierce). It sucks, but I'll still be at Markham park every chance I can get.

It ain't too hot to ride until you start passing out at the top of climbs.

Try to get rides in on windy days, cloudy days, rainy days, etc. You've got a great variety of trails over there on the west coast, don't miss out on them because it gets a bit warm.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The weather here today is projected to 113 degrees (a conservative estimate) with a heat advisory (which means IF you go outside in the sun you will BURST INTO FLAMES) so we sit inside and hope it cools down to one hundred and five degrees (what's wrong with that statement?)

It's not just FLA feeling the pain in the summer

maybe we should start a high-heat support group

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
I feel your pain. My 'off-season' the past few years has been July and August but it looks like it might start this week unless I get some chances to head up to northern AZ.
9% humidity !!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!!!!!!!

90F with 90% humidity is just as bad, kinda feels like swimming. I bet it's nice when sweating actual cools you down.

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
FloridaFish said:
I bet it's nice when sweating actual cools you down.
We have similar humidity and it just sucks the water right out of you. And the sweat evaporates so fast that it just leaves the salt on your skin, doesn't stick around long enough to cool you down too much.

·
Registered
293 Posts
So how many months a year of riding do you lose because of the weather? 1,2,3??

Well in my particular area of Canada, my season ends in November and starts back up in May. Thats 6 months per year of riding my friend (don't beieve what you read, winter riding sucks). I can't sympathize with you on your weather situation, sorry.

I do agree with you though on the lame threads here sometimes. When I spend alot of time here, I find the content can get a little thin.

In the dead of winter, my family drives to to your fine state to get a taste of warm sunshine. I suggest you do the same. Pack up your car, and come north, lots of great riding up here, lots for the family to do, and the tempatures are good too!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I was going to post a thread nearly identical to this. I live in Vegas and the heat is sometimes unbearable. When it's 120 outside, doing anything is a challenge except chillin by the pool drinking Capt Morgan and coke (my drink of choice). I did a 10 mile urban ride today. I was feeling it when I got home due to the 95+ temp. But I kept it a good speed to keep the breeze and rode shirtless so it wasn't too bad. The mountain is about 45 mins away, but with gas prices it bites a little bit. There's time I have my passion stints, but thanks to all your guys' pics of places that I don't have the money or time to go to I get by :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.