Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO my people tell me if I am going to upgrade something I should start with wheels. Too many brands, too many types. Im totally lost. I thought maybe to stick with my current brand and just get a "better" one. However, there does not seem to be anywhere to go with the Bontrager Select tires. Race X does not seem to be much of an upgrade.

So then, where should I look? I am 170lbs, and ride trails through the woods. 26" wheels with disc brakes on a Trek Fuel EX7. There are ups and downs and a few drops if I pedal fast enough. Dry hardpacked dirt. Sometimes rocks sometimes sand. I ride in south-east Michigan.

I appreciate any info on which wheel or how to learn which wheel to look at.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Depends how much you want to spend but knowing the area you're in an XC wheel and hub would be exactly what you need. Some light Mavic 717's or DT Swiss 4.2d rims, hubs my first instinct is DT Swiss 240s but there's a lot other that. If you want to spend a lot you could start looking into Chris King/Hope/I9 hubs as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My current wheels are Bontrager Select 26". Stock for the Fuel EX7.
I don't want to spend too much. <$400 I'm thinking. I don't plan on racing or anything. I just need an extra boost to help hang with these guys that keep kicking my butt around the trails.

Why do you think the Mavic 717 are a good choice? Maybe I can learn some from their website. ill check.

i guess im looking for a wheel not parts like hub/rim. thats even further over my head.

·
Registered
60 Posts
dnoyeb said:
My current wheels are Bontrager Select 26". Stock for the Fuel EX7.
I don't want to spend too much. <$400 I'm thinking. I don't plan on racing or anything. I just need an extra boost to help hang with these guys that keep kicking my butt around the trails.

Why do you think the Mavic 717 are a good choice? Maybe I can learn some from their website. ill check.
It's a lighter rim more suited for cross country, however the one downside is it will only take upto a 2.1 tire. If you like to run something larger a Mavic 719 or the DT Swiss 4.2d would handle a wider tire.

·
mountain biker
535 Posts
or get Stans rims and go tubeless. You'd probably do well on the ztr 355, yellow tape and Schwalbe UST Nobby Nic and/or Albert.... (the yellow tape is there to seal the spoke bed so air doesn't get out)

But in all honesty, the only thing that will get you to "hang with your buddies" is to ride more. No amount of money you spend on equipment will help you get there. It doesn't sound like you're having any problems with your equipment, so I'd save your money, ride more, and replace stuff as it gets problematic.

Good luck...

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
While the wheelset you have isn't a super lightweight wheelset, it is reasonable (I found an mtbr thread showing the weight of a 2003 Bontrager Select disc wheelset as 880 g front, 1100 g rear). For under 400 you could drop some weight, but not a lot of rotational weight. I'd save the money and ride more, which will do more for you keeping up with your buddies than a slightly lighter wheel will. Save up your money for when you need to change wheels.

An idea for you, since your buddies are so willing to help you spend money on their suggestion, do any of them have a lighter wheelset you could borrow so you could see for yourself what, if any, difference there is to your riding?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Mikey D said:
It... it will only take upto a 2.1 tire. If you like to run something larger a Mavic 719 or the DT Swiss 4.2d would handle a wider tire.
I ran a pretty fat 2.2 tire on a 717 for a couple years, didn't have a problem. Great XC rim, strong and light.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the advice. I guess Ill stand down. Maybe ill upgrade the tires alone. most of the guys are riding tires with little to no thread across the center like commuter tires. they seem to like that.

·
Vigilante Trail Groomer
155 Posts
Stick with the wheels you have. If they're straight and strong enough for your riding no need to change.

I started doing the same thing a few years ago and ended up with so many new parts I decided to keep my Trek Fuel SLR stock and build a new bike.

This way I have 2 bikes instead of of one and a pile of parts.

Check out some WTB Weirwolf or MOtO RAptor tires. I've used both of these and loved them.

MUCH better than the stockie BONTrager tires.

·
Registered
249 Posts
more motor

yea, it's more about the motor than the equipment to a certain extent. I blow guys away on bikes that cost 5 times more than mine. I pro could blow me away if they were on a huffy.
Save you're money and work on the motor. Replace stuff when it fails.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
dnoyeb said:
thanks for the advice. I guess Ill stand down. Maybe ill upgrade the tires alone. most of the guys are riding tires with little to no thread across the center like commuter tires. they seem to like that.
A lighter tire would be a much more reasonable approach to reducing rotational weight, as long as it still suffices for the terrain you ride. Perhaps even a tubeless conversion might be an option.

·
Vigilante Trail Groomer
155 Posts
With you riding in similar conditions as me in CT.....roots....loose soils with rocks here and there depending if you're riding a mountain or rivers edge...which is my current favorite.......Moto RAptor tires are AWESOME. And the knobs are more firm than the squigly Bontragers so the ride to the trail on the street is no problem at all. not so with the Bontrager tires.

I couldn't believe how inferior the squiggly little Bontragers were limiting me.

·
Vigilante Trail Groomer
155 Posts
I have a MOto 2.24 on the back and a Weirwolf 2.3 on the front. Soon to be another Moto RAptor 2.24 on the front. Motos are great for digging into dirt especially loose stuff or even sand if you hit that. My Bontragers would get stuck in a certain spot I would ride through that was sort of a town dump off for the winter sand and it kinda ran down the hill across a path I would cross. The Motos have ZErO problem cutting through. HAven't trierd it with the Weirwolf/Moto combo yet.

You see I pillaged my new bike parts pile which I said I wouldn't do but hey...the parts are BEGGING to be used and abused!:D

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
dnoyeb said:
Tread. Not thread.

They are semi-slick tires, typically used for XC racing but can be trail ridden. They have a large advantage if you're riding less technical terrain, because they have much less rolling resistance. You're going to have a hard time keeping up if you're running standard knobbies.

Just find out what they guys you ride with are running, and get the same thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.