Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet, thanks! I lost on the side closest to the river. I went otb right at that big log over (the one where there's to giant trees falling that you have to go under). Must have knocked it off with my foot.

I looked for again on Tuesday but I didn't see it.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Yes, VF singletrack is off-limits, but....

Is there offroad riding in Valley Forge? Thought that was banned. Would break up a SRT ride up nicely.
..... the signage prohibiting riding has all but been removed, and the fact is that people ride there on a regular basis. It's a calculated risk.

Bob

·
Registered
320 Posts
Valley Creek Trail and Chapel Trail is open to bike. Some that leads to other trail specifically shows sign saying no bikes but if you stay on those two trails, you should be fine. I go there pretty often although I wasn't able to recently with all these extra work and family duties recently. it's pretty close to my home which is about 25 minutes away.

I think it's Betzwood Trail? that is closed to bike so I never tried that one.

P.S. In case you are wondering, refer PDF below for Valley Creek and Chapel:

http://www.nps.gov/vafo/planyourvisit/upload/mtmisery_trails_2007.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/vafo/planyourvisit/upload/chapel_trail.pdf

Is there offroad riding in Valley Forge? Thought that was banned. Would break up a SRT ride up nicely.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It's only one within about 20 minute drive and it on my way home from work. Used to be only place I go after work but now it it get dark quick, I can't make it after work anymore.

There's one spot you have to be careful though which is much easier to notice now that they mow down everything(I liked it before they mow it down). If you start from chapel heading towards valley creek, you will see stair like uphill created with logs. When you go downhill(if you can call it downhill :)) after that and at the end of it, there sharp 90' left turn. If you miss that and go couple of feet more, you will find yourself maybe 100ft down from where you used to be and end up right next to train rails. It was much harder to see it before as it was single track before with everything over grown pretty high. When I was there for the first time, I would have gone down there if I wasn't looking ahead but then, I'm still a noob.

It used to be like only 6"wide there which made you feel like you are out of nowhere for short period of time. Not sure why they cut them down as it's wide open now.

It used to take me about 30 minutes starting from valley creek to End of chapel which now will take longer since I'm still getting used to clipless. Also, be careful when you cross traffic light between valley creek and chapel. They don't pay attention there and will try to run you over there almost every time you cross it. One time woman was making left turn but was looking to her right and almost ran me over. Not sure why she was looking right as she was making left turn as there was nothing to right.

Fastest section is at the end of chapel trail If you are heading towards valley creek. Fastest I've done there was close to 30mph. Nothing technical there and might be boring to most of you but like I said before that is only off road trail close to me enough that I can go after work. I usually go other tails in weekends.

Now I might need to find trail that is opened even after dark and buy a light so i can still ride after work. My wife don't like the idea of me going for a ride after dark all by myself but I feel that if I don't constantly ride, i'll be lazy and stop riding for good. Lol

Thanks for that info. Doesn't look like much but maybe I can swing by on my hybrid for more adventure from the SRT. :)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I didn't realize that the Chapel Trail was open to bikes now. I'll have to check it out after doing a loop or two in Betzwood. I've never had an issue in Betzwood, everybody has always been really friendly. If you enter the trails from the Eastern side there's no signs limiting bikes, but there's a few signs over near the big open field area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.