Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old Guy that rides
Joined
·
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Mercury News

A search team found three San Jose bicyclists early Friday morning, shivering but safe in the Saratoga hills after they got lost during a ride.

The three men, all in their 30s, became separated from a larger group of bicyclists Thursday night and found themselves stranded in a ravine, according to Santa Clara County sheriff's Sgt. Rick Sung.

Sung said the three men were suffering from slight hypothermia, but other than that, they were fine and able to walk out of a ravine they were discovered in near Highways 35 and 9 at 2:30 a.m.

Sung said the men were riding with a group Thursday, but didn't come back when the rest of the bicyclists returned about 9 p.m. Their families were concerned and called for help.

Deputies from Santa Clara County and San Mateo County, volunteers from the search and rescue team, the California Highway Patrol and Mid-Peninsula park rangers all were dispatched to look for the men.

Sung said they were spotted, shivering in their biking shorts and T-shirts, in the ravine.
 

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,126 Posts
OGDHr said:
From the Mercury News

A search team found three San Jose bicyclists early Friday morning, shivering but safe in the Saratoga hills after they got lost during a ride.

The three men, all in their 30s, became separated from a larger group of bicyclists Thursday night and found themselves stranded in a ravine, according to Santa Clara County sheriff's Sgt. Rick Sung.

Sung said the three men were suffering from slight hypothermia, but other than that, they were fine and able to walk out of a ravine they were discovered in near Highways 35 and 9 at 2:30 a.m.

Sung said the men were riding with a group Thursday, but didn't come back when the rest of the bicyclists returned about 9 p.m. Their families were concerned and called for help.

Deputies from Santa Clara County and San Mateo County, volunteers from the search and rescue team, the California Highway Patrol and Mid-Peninsula park rangers all were dispatched to look for the men.

Sung said they were spotted, shivering in their biking shorts and T-shirts, in the ravine.
Wow, Saratoga Gap night ride. I don't want to know what trails. Bummer.

Ok, who are they? Someone knows something. Looks like the rescue got them at 2:30. Could have been worse.

fc
 

·
Mtbr Founder
Joined
·
35,126 Posts
beaverbiker said:
How do you get lost at the GAP? They have super accurate maps and everything is marked. And it's not that big. Maybe they had a bit too much of the toe warming adult beverages?
off trail.
lights went dead.
magicshine exploded.
all they had was a lighter
snuggling was involved.

Just thinking out loud.....

fc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
Mighty cold of the group to leave some of their number behind. Not people I'd like to ride with, being kinda slow myself!
 

·
Totally, and to the max.
Joined
·
2,555 Posts
Someone here has to know this group. We're definitely less than 6 degress from Bacon here. These guys must be rookies, though. Nightriding the Gap? Total bust. We all know that. No jackets? Multiple other riders don't go look for them? Smells fishy to me. I wonder what the full story is.
 

·
MTB skillz = NADA
Joined
·
724 Posts
Maybe they are related to that lady that keeps getting lost behind her house?
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Man, that was close. I thought we were going to die out there...

Damn magikshine lights went out on me when the battery exploded.
 

·
aka dan51
Joined
·
6,021 Posts
rensho said:
Man, that was close. I thought we were going to die out there...

Damn magikshine lights went out on me when the battery exploded.
You rookie. Charcoal road is only for going uphill too. But with dead lights you probably missed that sign.
Sorry we left you behind, but we were starving. Had to get to Red Robin for burgers and fries.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
1,570 Posts
it really sucked when the pager went off at 02:28 because Mid Pen wanted the riders checked out medically........and I have no clue who the rider were
 

·
Slowest Rider
Joined
·
5,237 Posts
I see a lot of riders around the Long Ridge and Peter's Creek trail, thinking about going down Ward Rd. into the ravine. It's an easy mistake with big penalty. Maybe that's what happened?
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
d-bug said:
You rookie. Charcoal road is only for going uphill too. But with dead lights you probably missed that sign.
Sorry we left you behind, but we were starving. Had to get to Red Robin for burgers and fries.
Had it been this week, I would have had my Verizon ipone and called your ass back to find us, but we were all on the nation's fastest 3G network getting our usual 0Gs of coverage.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top