Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· loopy counter
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you lost a certain GPS receiver and one other gadget at the demo today, leave me a PM describing the goods (what model, and any other details to authenticate you as proper owner) and it will be returned.

· Slowest Rider
5,113 Posts
Not Mine

I recounted the GPS units in my stock and they're all there. :)

Many people put their name and address on the startup screen (for such occasions), especially easy to set up with most Garmin units. You can also try looking for a personal info page, usually in the Setup page under a menu somewhere.

You can also try looking for waypoints with names like "Home". You can even use the GPS to guide you there. Any tracks may also be good clues.

Thanks for trying to find the owner. I hope they read MTBR.

· loopy counter
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigLarry said:

Many people put their name and address on the startup screen (for such occasions), especially easy to set up with most Garmin units. You can also try looking for a personal info page, usually in the Setup page under a menu somewhere.

You can also try looking for waypoints with names like "Home". You can even use the GPS to guide you there. Any tracks may also be good clues.

Unfortunately the batteries are dead. It doesn't power on even after plugged into a usb cable for an hour. Do you know if the garmin drivers need to be installed as a prerequisite for usb to deliver power? Or could it be that I used a usb cable that doesn't carry +5V.

· Slowest Rider
5,113 Posts
knobs said:
Unfortunately the batteries are dead. It doesn't power on even after plugged into a usb cable for an hour. Do you know if the garmin drivers need to be installed as a prerequisite for usb to deliver power? Or could it be that I used a usb cable that doesn't carry +5V.
There's many types of GPS. The smaller ones like the Edge and Forerunner need a seperate special charger (but are usually firmly attached to the wrist or bike stem and less likely to get lost). The larger GPS like the eTrex and GPSMap60CSx use AA batteries and cannot be charged by the cable, but use USB power to save power as long as it's attached.

Many units can nevertheless be powered by USB cable, depending, so you may want to try another cable. There's a lot of models out there. Maybe you want to send me a PM and I can help.

Pehaps you can let us know what model GPS you found, and surely somebody on MTBR has the proper equipment and knowledge to charge it and read the contents to determine the owner.

· EEP-OPP-ORK-AH-AH
519 Posts
OT: Garmin 'how to' question

BigLarry said:

hey dude - is it possible to personalize the startup screen for the Edge 305? I'm not aware of this function ... nor do I see it in the owners manual

any help appreciated =)

· Slowest Rider
5,113 Posts
feetsnofail said:
hey dude - is it possible to personalize the startup screen for the Edge 305? I'm not aware of this function ... nor do I see it in the owners manual

any help appreciated =)
I don't own an Edge as I want more mapping and other features than offered by the Edge. Nevertheless, I read the Edge owner manual in the past, and don't remember seeing the owner info. I'll look again later when I get home. Usually that info is entered on the setup page via a menu item. Nevertheless, some waypoints or other information may likely be found on the Edge.

I'm waiting to find out what unit Knobby has, and go from there.

· loopy counter
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BigLarry said:
I'm waiting to find out what unit Knobby has, and go from there.
It's an Edge 305. I used a different usb cable and it came back to life. I know the owners age and weight now, but looked around all the menus and there's no apparent name/address function in this model. Also no "home" waypoints. Just 001 and 002 and the default "GARMIN" waypoints. I decided to check out where 001 and 002 were in mapsource, and by clicking on the "Receive From Device" icon, I found out the owner's name. Surprise to me. It was listed as the device name. This must be something that is configurable through the MapSource program, I'll have to try that for my own garmin units.

Sam Clarkson, if you are out there, or if you know Sam Clarkson, leave me a PM.

· Slowest Rider
5,113 Posts
Try Garmin

knobs said:
It's an Edge 305. I used a different usb cable and it came back to life. I know the owners age and weight now, but looked around all the menus and there's no apparent name/address function in this model. Also no "home" waypoints. Just 001 and 002 and the default "GARMIN" waypoints. I decided to check out where 001 and 002 were in mapsource, and by clicking on the "Receive From Device" icon, I found out the owner's name. Surprise to me. It was listed as the device name. This must be something that is configurable through the MapSource program, I'll have to try that for my own garmin units.

Sam Clarkson, if you are out there, or if you know Sam Clarkson, leave me a PM.
Good Work. Sounds you know GPS well if you have MapSource on your computer and GPS units of your own.

Call Garmin's customer support and they should help you get it back to the owner, especially now that you have the owners's name and GPS serial number. Most people register their GPS with Garmin (or Motion Based), especially they you want to download maps (not supported by Edge) which is licensed to each GPS individually.

General note that if your GPS is lost or stolen, you can report the unit number and when the user calls Garmin for anything about it, Garmin will flag it and notify the real owner.

I searched for his name on Motion Based. Most Edge owners use that web site to upload data. But it didn't show up. Most people, like on MTBR, use aliases. But since Motion Based is linked with Garmin, Garmin should be able to help there too.

That's an expensive GPS. I hope the owner gives you a nice reward for all your work and honesty.

I set my GPS units show up first thing with my name, cell phone number, and the word "$$Reward$$"

· Registered
122 Posts
I just got a GPSMap 60 for Christmas and have been using it to map out rides, have you run into any reception problems in Demo with your GPS?

I hope if I ever loose this thing someone as dedicated as knobs finds it. Good work!

· Slowest Rider
5,113 Posts
Tracer Bullet said:
I just got a GPSMap 60 for Christmas and have been using it to map out rides, have you run into any reception problems in Demo with your GPS?

I hope if I ever loose this thing someone as dedicated as knobs finds it. Good work!
Demo is one of the worst places for GPS reception. You're on the north side of a steep hill with lots of trees - worst of everything at once.

I carry an older eTrex Vista on the handlebars, and the newer 60CSx with the SiRFIII receiver in my pack. (The SiRFIII is also used in the Edge GPS).

The 60CSx with SiRFIII receives everywhere just fine with zero problems. It's much better than the older receivers.

The Vista works fine on the upper hills and Ridge, and good reception most of the way down Braille, Sawpit, and Tractor. It has some brief drop outs on Highland and Buzzard lagoon. But the worst reception with the Vista (as bad as anywhere) is on Hihn's Mill Rd at the bottom of the steep north facing hill. Some days I receive most all the way up the road, but usually I only get intermittent reception every big fraction of a mile.

If you don't have the 'x' in your 60, you've got an older GPS with the older receiver. It will be a little better than my Vista, but nowhere as good as the 60CSx.

· Registered
681 Posts
This may be a long shot but there are no S Clarkson's listed in San Jose or surrounding areas and only 1 in Santa Cruz......

On second thought, I'm not sure I should post the number even though its a published number. I"m going to PM it to you knobs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.