Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
gimme friction
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm, thought there was an existing thread, but could not find...wrong forum? ;)

Anyways, a question on bike selection for those in the know...

We're doing the short ride (35 miles), very casual, NOT racing. The website references the terrain being 'much smoother' than previous years, and the 35-mile route boasts '35% gravel'...assuming the rest is pavement of some sort.

Sooo, trying to decide between a Salsa Vaya (40-ish tires, not tubeless) and hardtail MTB (2.2 meats, also not tubeless). Was initially leaning towards the MTB for comfort, but now sounds like there will be a lot of pave and that the 'gravel' will not be very challenging. Mebbe the Vaya is the ticket.

For reference, this is for my son...good endurance, lots of bike experience, but not over very technical terrain. He wants to ride the Vaya.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It's not an overly technical race historically, but there is a lot of variety in the terrain. Who knows what the weather will do to the fire roads this year. I plan on riding my 38 tires, but will see if the L&F organizers post any last minute updates and adjust accordingly. I think either bike would be a lot of fun. The gravel bike will require a little more attention to detail and speed control in sections.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I rode 40c nanos last year which were overkill except for one short section. but some people had a lot of flats there while I was unscathed. I think this year I am just going to run whats on the bike which is 40c rambler silkworms. seems like a decent choice if its going to be a bit smoother

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I dont think they would make a gravel race where a gravel bike wasnt appropriate. I would ride the vaya esp if you arent trying to go fast. if you were trying to go fast I would still ride the vaya but tubeless

·
Registered
763 Posts
I know and ride the area extensively and recommend the Vaya for the event. The climb up Willow Creek is steep in sections, but the majority of dirt road is fairly smooth and fast (sections of Willow Creek are 14%). With that said and depending on the weather next week and the day of the ride, be prepared for mud and snow which may add to the challenge. As of last Saturday, there was still 4' of snow at the top of the Smith Peak descent down to Lake Davis (35 mile ride).

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Hmmmm, maybe I'll be running some kind of MTB tires instead. Anyone have anymore updates? Is it gonna be a mud fest?
We are changing the course a bit to dodge snow, 3 miles shorter and a bit less elevation, but routing through plowed roads. I'll know more tomorrow evening after we do a recon ride and will post up.

Mt. Hough was hero dirt last Saturday, western facing slopes and lower elevation dry out very fast this time of year.

P

·
Registered
100 Posts
We are changing the course a bit to dodge snow, 3 miles shorter and a bit less elevation, but routing through plowed roads. I'll know more tomorrow evening after we do a recon ride and will post up.

Mt. Hough was hero dirt last Saturday, western facing slopes and lower elevation dry out very fast this time of year.

P
Mr. P...as a paid rider for the 67 miler, thank you for the update...I am going no matter what the conditions, but it is nice to see someone involved giving an update....

·
Mtbr Founder
35,468 Posts

P
Right on, thank you.

Mr. P, you might have told us before but...

What's your role/title there at Yuba or Sierra Buttes Stewardship?

fc

·
I dig trails!
5,608 Posts
Here are some conditions as of Thursday. We have changed a bit of the course to include plowed roads where there is snow - 3 miles less and a bit less climbing for the 65 & 100. The snow is on the first ridge of the course on the shoulder of Smith Peak, the majority of the course is snow free.

A 50 degree rain will happen on Sunday and forecast through the week are highs in the 50s temps with lows in the 40s at 7000ft - partly cloudy. All of that means snow melt off.

The plowed roads should be free of snow in the road. Expect some mud from the snow melting on the side of the road. Also, expect lush green meadows and lots and lots of wildflowers. And vicious cows of course...

All routes are updated on the website:
The Ride Lost and Found Gravel Grinder Course Map

Patrick Cavender | SBTS Graphic Design / Marketing / Brand Czar

So cool that Portola is stoked to have the race! It's going to fun in Portola.

Tree Rock Font Pebble Signage

Grass Land lot Garden Pasture Home fencing

The snow in the road will be melted off by race day.

Winter Natural environment Road Glass Freezing

Natural environment Road Glass Plant community Automotive exterior

Roads like this will be drier as well.

Forest Evergreen Spruce-fir forest Larch Thoroughfare

The wild flowers should be going off!!!

Vegetation Natural environment Natural landscape Plant community Plain

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.