Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
16,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think it's physically possible for *you* to morph into the aforementioned tub of goo. You're a stickman--you'll probably just whither away.

That said, whenever my motivation is on the wane due to cold or dark, I have an easy way to remotivate myself.

Takes all of 3 minutes to read through it and somewhere in that 180 seconds any and all reasons I've conjured to NOT ride have vaporized.

Cheers,

MC

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
For the past 7-8 years I've been getting up at 5:30 almost every weekday to get a ride in before work..... no matter what the sun or the temperature was doing. Winter rides often started in the pitch dark at 10 degrees and lower. I never liked winter... but I wanted to ride bad enough that I did it. ..........Until this year.

This winter I've been having the darndest time getting up the motivation to peel myself off the mattress when it's still dark out and sub-sub freezing, then spending 15-20 minutes to layer up just to have my nose hairs freeze together.

It's getting bad. I've only gone riding once in the AM before work in the past three weeks. Am I just getting old? Have I become a wuss? Is it because I'm tired of the same old trails? Is this the beginning of the end?

Maybe I just need a new bike. Wait... I just got a new bike.

Help, before I become a big fat lazy tub of goo. I disgust myself.

·
Registered
455 Posts
KRob said:
...I disgust myself.
MAN! GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF!

I admire your dedication...but you need to quit punishing yourself and go ride just for the hell of it. Your going to be a 'tub of goo' someday whether you ride in the cold dark or not...enjoy your time on the bike while you can.

Now, go sit under a very brite light and think warm thoughts.

Mikey

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have no suggestions on how to help you restore your passion, but I am glad to hear I'm not alone.
Wait-a-minute....can you still ride dirt this time of the season?

·
Registered
683 Posts
No you're just sensible.

For some reason I can just not get myself up earl to get a ride. I really enjoy sleeping, and anytime before 6am for me doesn't exist :D

I would rather sleep in, and ride at night over getting up early but that is just me.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,998 Posts
Basically riding has now become a chore instead of the fun it use to be. 2 things...get someone else to ride with you....or give yourself a vacation and not ride for 2 or 3 weeks...then you will be jonesing to ride again

·
Who's riding today?
1,408 Posts
I too used to be on the trail at 6:30AM year round. Even here in San Diego, 35 degree mornings in our east county during January put the "chill" on those rides. It's is just NOT fun anymore. But the concept of riding in 10 degree weather...........WHY?

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
I have been having the same thing happen to me lately. About even a year back, I would used to go riding in -10, and still have a good time. Now I am kind of hesitant when it comes to going out riding in the mid 30's. Maybe it is a thing that comes with getting older, even though I am 22. Oh well, hopefully winter will not be as bad this season.
Dave

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
MikeyLikesIt said:
MAN! GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF!

Mikey
Oh, did I forget the ;)

Although the "sitting under a very bright light" suggestion sounds good. I'm sure the light deprivation affective disorder thing does play a role in the funk I'm in.
Give me some sun dang it!

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Basically riding has now become a chore instead of the fun it use to be.
Oh I still love riding.......just not at 6:00 am in the freezing cold and the dark. Still riding on weekends and loving it. Just got back from a couple of great rides in St. George last weekend. And I'm sure I would come back stoked after a cold, dark, midweek, morning ride too if I could just get myself out of the warm, soft, bed. Any tips for that?

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
...get someone else to ride with you....
At SIX AM? :skep: Dude, I can barely get guys to ride with me at decent daylight hours with temps in the 40s.... let alone at 6:00 in the cold dark morning.

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
monty797 said:
No you're just sensible.

For some reason I can just not get myself up earl to get a ride. I really enjoy sleeping, and anytime before 6am for me doesn't exist :D

I would rather sleep in, and ride at night over getting up early but that is just me.
See, that's the weird thing about this funk. I usually love the early mornings. Best time of the day. Just having trouble wrapping my head around the dark, stupid cold start lately. I'm sure it would all be good once I got out there.

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
mikesee said:
I don't think it's physically possible for *you* to morph into the aforementioned tub of goo. You're a stickman--you'll probably just whither away.
I dunno. With all this holiday baking and goodies and lounging in until 6:45 I might balloon up to a portly 165! :eekster: :eekster:

mikesee said:
That said, whenever my motivation is on the wane due to cold or dark, I have an easy way to remotivate myself.

Cheers,

MC
Ok I'm just going to take my little whinning angst over a little dusky zero degree riding and shut up now. That is just too extreme and makes my winter rides look like strolls on the beach. I've read your Alaska endurance ride reports before, Mike, and I can't even phathom that kind of cold and dark and isolation. I noticed even you guys are taking a winter off after that one. That is just scary hard core.

This weather forecast doesn't seem so bad now. I'll be riding tomorrow and I'll post some pics to prove it. Thanks for the motivation, Mike.

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
beagledadi said:
Did you get the RIP?...you dog! :D
Not yet.... but I've sold the 6.6 and I've got a twitchy click finger for a HH100x replacement. :thumbsup:

Maybe that would help the morning ride lethargy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
When I wake up at 5am (Mon-Fri) so I can be to work no later than 6am (10-15 minute time cushion), I have come up with some techniques to get me going.

To begin with I know what it's like to not want to get out of bed at that hour. With the furnace programmed to warm the house from 60-degrees fahrenheit to 70 by the time I hit snooze once, the micro-fleece sheets covered with a heavy quilted blanket keeping me cozy warm in the bed, and the electric blanket on low on top of it all! Getting out of my warm caccoon is the last think I want to do when it's zero to 25-degrees outside.

I just hit the hardwood floor "running," slam a glass of warm tap water, brush my teeth and shave, and suit up for my 45-minute ride.

The greatest motivator for me, that will never go away, is that I see the morning traffic jams. I'm in the military, so there are around 100-people trying to get on base during the exact same time I am trying to, which is a 15-20 minute wait in line for a security guard to scan my ID card. Talk about a waste of time. Then I get to work and I have to find a place to park my F250. All the while I'm not really awake yet, just going through the motions.

I have determined that I could probably be "diagnosed" with road-rage. When I drive, my "fight or flight" mechanisms are flowing when someone's too close, or if someone isn't going fast enough. I get pissed! I don't punch my steering wheel or anything physical, but my internal chemistry is flowing with adrenaline and hatred for the other driver.....When I ride my bike I'm as cool as a cucumber the entire trek to work. I show up happier, awake, and ready to start my morning workout with the guys in my platoon; having already bike 10-miles, I'm already warmed up for the runs/pushups/situps we attempt to accomplish every morning.

All in all. What gets my ass out of bed is that I know that when I get to work I can say that I've already accomplished more than the next guy, part personal satisfaction and part ego I suppose. A lot of my co-workers think I'm crazy for riding in the dark and cold when I could drive, but for me it's not the same. Secondly, I reward myself once I get to work with a warm cup of coffee while I hang out with my co-workers. Lastly, I'm 30-years old now, and after I ride 10-miles to work I can take my (18-28 year old) guys out for a 4-mile run (in 32-minutes or faster) and do it faster than them without feeling as tired as they look, then I know I'm doing something good for myself.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Like others have said...

Get a riding buddy. I ride with another fellow 3 or 4 mornings a week. We meet at 5:15 and get a solid hour in before the kids are up. Solo days are tough, all too easy to crawl back into bed, but neither of us wants to let the other down when we can ride together. We do pavement when it's raining (as in every day for the past two or three weeks) and trails when it's dry enough.

You might also consider a trainer or rollers if you think it's the cold and wet bothering you. I'm about to invest in something of the sort for the icy / super foggy days when it just isn't safe enough to ride outdoors.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Yes, KRob, you're getting old and a wuss at the same time! Sorry to break the news to you :D ;) There just comes a time when what was once fun becomes a chore. I've posted 0 temp pictures of my front porch thermometer and "whined" about how it's finally time to just head for my trainer in the basement instead of forcing myself to ride while freezing my azz off. I've gotten replies from those who still go out in that cold and think it's fun. I guess just give them another 15 years of doing that and they might change their tune. Maybe. I did.

Would any of you go out in this? I mean, any of you sane riders?

·
blet drive
2,178 Posts
i have the same problem only i have to be at work for 6 am... so i leave the house @ 3:30 or 4 am to get a 2 hour ride in.. it is hard to get going sometimes but well worth it once i get out there... It has been cold and dark hear to.. the other morning the temp was 6 degre... berr it was nasty but fun...

take some time off from the early morning rides and they will come back..

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
I can't speak for everyone but in the KC area, for the most part, you have to get up in the wee hours and ride very early AM or ride very late PM because of the freeze/thaw cycle. After about 9 - 10AM the trails start getting slimy and gooey.

This year it looks like alot of snow riding. I may try to ride SMV this weekend if I can get out there w/o other obligations.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts