Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked in the weight weenies section, but i think they want to talk super super light stuff!!!

I want to lose weight for my 2005 Specialized Enduro, it currently has a Marzocchi 66RC and Wheelset of Hadley hubs/Old Deemax rims. These are great for DH, but weigh a ton!

These I think will be the best 2 things to change for weight loss.

i want to do this to make it better going up hills, but keep good DH ability.

I was thinking of getting a Fox 32 float purhaps,

Is QR ok for DH? or is it best to stick with 20mm style?

Wheels wise I thought about just putting some more lightweight rims and having them laced to the Hadleys, Maybe something Mavic and UST. Is this a good idea? or kinda stupid because the Hadleys are heavy???

Any sugestions for what to get are welcome,
Thanks

·
lidless ascender
812 Posts
A Pike up front will probably change the geometry too much.A Lyrik U-Turn or 2-Step (or Fox 36 Talas, Marzocchi 55 ATA) will keep the geometry for DH more or less unchanged, but the ability to lower the fork (and obviously lower weight) will help with climbing a lot.
And yes, you better stick with a 20mm axle with long travel forks.
Hope hubs are a good, light and reasonably priced option, just put a rim in the 500-550g region on and you're set.

Marko

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I just picked up a set of Sun Ringle STR8 Tracks AM wheels and they seem pretty sweet. Haven't got to take them on any serious rides yet, but I am digging them. The front is like 1030 grams and the rear is about 1100 grams. Got the 2007 model on clearance from Jenson for $239 for the set. Regular is about $450 a set. Great for those on a budget.
Not bad for a resonable weight set of wheels.

I am also thinking of going with a RS Lyric 2 step. Seems like a great fork, but a little spendy in the $900 range.

·
Canuckistan
131 Posts
Hope hubs weigh nothing at all and perform like a dream, I laced up my own set of Hope Pro II hubs to a pair of Sun Single track rims for my AM bike and they are definitely light.

The Fox Float 32 you're looking at is a nice light fork, but I would suggest suggest you go with something with a 20mm through axle as it stiffens up the front end noticeably...perhaps the Fox 36 Talas

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I would seriously keep your hubs. Hadleys are much better than Hopes or whatever and there is little if any weight penalty. Seriously, there is no question or comparison, (I own both, BTW). You could relace the Hadley to DT's. like the 5.10, or some other light rim. Hopes are not the best solution here.

I'll be honest, for good DH ability you need some weight. I'd keep the fork though if you have to, switch to a Fox Float 36. Lightest 36mm fork out there, tho the air Pike would really be a nicer fork. You do not want a 32 on a 6" travel bike! and if you want light, go buy an Epic or SJ.

Really, the easiest way to improve climbing is to RUN A LIGHTER REAR TIRE. try that before you do anything else.

So in order, I'd do the following:

Lighter rear tire
Relace Hadleys to DT 5.10's
Fox 36 Float.
Lose 10 lbs. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got nothing to lose I am afraid...

I will attack the situation in the order of TTL, thanks.

I actually hit the gym regularly, and had the goal of being able to get up the 18kg weight for dumbbells for bicep curls, which I have reached, so that I would be stronger to handle my heavier bike. I only weigh 70kg, so can't really lose another 5.

But still, I think that I could do with a bit of a lose, I want my bike to be more AM, at the moment it is more DH centric.

Thanks for the advice though!!

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
you could try ordering an air cartridge for your 66 from marzocchi to convert it to an sl. That would save you a pound and be much cheaper than a new fork.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.