Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I figure I'm not the only one in this boat so I thought I'd reach out for us to keep the motivation going.

A little about me: I am/was an elite endurance racer, female, who didn't get to race at all in 2020 and basically said fuggit and went a little off the deep end with my food/alcohol consumption. I just let it slide and enjoyed life. I still rode, a LOT, but let myself indulge in all the yummy foods, and post ride beers. I also never touched my lycra "kit" and went all cool with baggies and flannels for ride gear ;)

So here I am, April, and I'm carrying about 8-10 lbs of extra "fluff". In the big scheme of things, it isn't much, but I am getting self conscious about it and I just don't feel right. I have been doing a lot more gym work, so some of that is definitely good strong muscle, but instead of losing the fat, the new muscle just kinda pushed the fat out farther :LOL: 🤷‍♀️

So, I'm working on getting serious again about behaving (no more alcohol, darnit!) and working through cutting out the junk (no more chocolate, or work donuts, darnit!). More lean protein and veggies.

Who else is in a similar boat? Are you making strides towards losing the Covid-weight? What strategies work the best for you? Let's support each other and lose that fluff!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm with you on the COVID-fuggit factor, the uncomfortableness with my current weight, and observation that riding/exercising isn't getting rid of the excess.

In the past I did calorie restriction and it worked as long as I kept it up. I just started intermittent fasting just because I think I might be able to sustain it better. Just skipping breakfast is my first step, combined with at least a little bit of light exercise in the morning without eating anything. I think I can handle that long-term and see what it does.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,264 Posts
I'm 6 wks post shoulder surgery so I'm ramping up my activity right now, and have also been experimenting with fasting. I've been skipping dinner to make an ~18-20 hour fast every 3rd day or so. It's working, and it's also making eating too much later in the day seem a lot less appealing which is a big deal for me as I can get an appetite at night, which is the wrong time to be eating.

I'm not real big on lots of restrictions in my diet, so this works for me. It's all so personal and there are so many solutions, I hope everyone finds their best diet!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I lost about 15+ pounds in 2019 simply by cutting out bread - except weekly pizza night (no sandwiches, rolls, baked goods). I was really surprised how easy that was.

I dropped another few pounds in 2020 but think that was muscle mass since I wasn't going to the gym. The scale showed a weight loss but my mirror showed a lose of muscle tone.

Now that I've been back at the gym for a few months I'm up a few pounds with better muscle tone but still not exactly cut. After our MTB vacation next week my wife and I are going back to our pre-COVID routine of not drinking during the work week and we'll see what happens.

I used to just quit the gym this time of year to focus on biking but, at 46 years of age, I think I need to stop the yo-yo seasonal fitness schedule because it gets harder and harder to restart "gym season". The problem with that is that I also travel for work in the summer and after-work-hotel-bar-life can be pretty unhealthy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi I'm right there with you. I mostly sit around 174, I just hit 178 and want to get down to 165-168. I'm about to turn 50 and it's getting harder to stay at the weight I want. I've had success with Noom and with intermittent fasting. My biggest weaknesses are chips, coke (coca-cola) and candy. In the past when Ive gotten below 170 I've really seen the benefit on the mountain bike. easier time with climbs, better in technical sections, able to clear more obstacles. Keep up the good work everyone and be kind to yourselves. Changing behavior is very hard.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm in the boat!
I got my weight down to 168 just before covid was a thing. First time since high school (I'm 46). Then, right back to 180. At 180, I'm not fat as I have a reasonably muscular athletic build.
But at 168 I had a six pack again. I've recently buckled down and am giving it a new effort, I'd like to see 165.

I'm hungry...

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
In the past when Ive gotten below 170 I've really seen the benefit on the mountain bike.
Same here. We didn't own a scale until recently so I never knew what my weight was once gym season ended because that was the only place I would weigh myself. I dropped from about 197 to 180 without even really knowing it - but I felt GREAT during early season MTB rides.

I eventually got down to 175 (the weight I was at in my 20s when I was racing MTBs occasionally). I'm at 180 now but expect that to drop now that winter is almost over (I get 6 months of it here in Montana).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The intermittent fasting thing is interesting. I've experimented with that a little, but I find if I skip breakfast, I'm waaaay overeating at dinner (and later). So I've started with the opposite approach, smaller and more frequent meals. Also trading out my usual sugary afternoon snack (a Clif Bar or some other sugar bomb) for a protein snack (apple/peanut butter, cheese, or jerky.

In the summer, when it gets hot, I do like to do a dawn patrol mtb ride and by default those rides are fasted other than some coffee, so that might resume soon.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to just quit the gym this time of year to focus on biking but, at 46 years of age, I think I need to stop the yo-yo seasonal fitness schedule because it gets harder and harder to restart "gym season". The problem with that is that I also travel for work in the summer and after-work-hotel-bar-life can be pretty unhealthy.
I would quit the gym too for racing season. I go to a Crossfit-style gym, and it was just too much impact/high intensity to keep up with also doing hard bike workouts. They just added a strict strength class, which I love. We just stand around and pick up heavy things, and I don't have to breathe hard to get results :LOL:

I'd also like to keep up with the strength stuff through the summer as well. Part of my big goals is to do some big bikepacking rides, which will require a lot of extra strength to pedal and push a heavier bike. So the gym is a good thing, but finding the balance and not totally overriding my energy stores is a fine line.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My journey started at 203.6 on December 17th of 2020. First time I ever weighed myself at over 200lbs in my adult life. For the last 20 years I've been right around 185 but the last 2 years my weight slowly crept up. I've always eaten whatever and however much I wanted too. Having gone working from home full time with Covid didn't help any and the weight just kept sticking. My son joined a local NICA team and he awakened my dormant love for cycling which I had stopped doing with regularity in the late 90's early 2ks. Mostly a change in my eating habits and the additional 3 times a week cycling got me back into riding shape. Today I was at 175.8 a loss of almost 28lbs.

For my "diet" I tried Keto and didn't think it was sustainable though it worked well. But a slight slipup would mean an instant +2-3lbs back on. So I started using my fitness pal to count calories and instead of eating breakfast/lunch/dinner I would eat small 100-200 calorie snacks during the day trying to keep out as much sugar and carbs as possible because those are calorie dense and you don't feel as full as long. I'd usually have 2-4 snack/meals during the day and have consumed about 500-600 calories. It would leave me about 900-1000 calories for dinner and I would eat a fairly normal dinner not really paying paying attention to WHAT I ate but instead how much I ate. I've been losing a steady 1-1.5lbs a week this way. It doesn't feel like I'm starving myself as I eat when I get hungry. I fast until about 10-11 with just black coffee. then it's a steady consumption of yogurt, nuts, salads, lean proteins, lettuce wraps, wraps with high fiber low calorie tortillas, etc. Usually if I eat a 100-200 calorie snack/meal and wait 30 minutes my hunger will go away for about an hour. After a while I've gotten used to eating smaller meals so I can no longer eat those giant meals like I used too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My journey started at 203.6 on December 17th of 2020. First time I ever weighed myself at over 200lbs in my adult life. For the last 20 years I've been right around 185 but the last 2 years my weight slowly crept up. I've always eaten whatever and however much I wanted too. Having gone working from home full time with Covid didn't help any and the weight just kept sticking. My son joined a local NICA team and he awakened my dormant love for cycling which I had stopped doing with regularity in the late 90's early 2ks. Mostly a change in my eating habits and the additional 3 times a week cycling got me back into riding shape. Today I was at 175.8 a loss of almost 28lbs.

For my "diet" I tried Keto and didn't think it was sustainable though it worked well. But a slight slipup would mean an instant +2-3lbs back on. So I started using my fitness pal to count calories and instead of eating breakfast/lunch/dinner I would eat small 100-200 calorie snacks during the day trying to keep out as much sugar and carbs as possible because those are calorie dense and you don't feel as full as long. I'd usually have 2-4 snack/meals during the day and have consumed about 500-600 calories. It would leave me about 900-1000 calories for dinner and I would eat a fairly normal dinner not really paying paying attention to WHAT I ate but instead how much I ate. I've been losing a steady 1-1.5lbs a week this way. It doesn't feel like I'm starving myself as I eat when I get hungry. I fast until about 10-11 with just black coffee. then it's a steady consumption of yogurt, nuts, salads, lean proteins, lettuce wraps, wraps with high fiber low calorie tortillas, etc. Usually if I eat a 100-200 calorie snack/meal and wait 30 minutes my hunger will go away for about an hour. After a while I've gotten used to eating smaller meals so I can no longer eat those giant meals like I used too.
Wow, congrats DeoreDx! That's a big change for sure. I like the smaller meals too, I'm definitely a snacker, as I'm in health care and we only get a very strict 30 minutes for lunch if we get a lunch at all. I'm a slow eater so I just can't stuff my face enough in that 30 minute window (and go to the bathroom, and try to sit and just not move for a bit lol) so I usually squirrel food in my pockets and eat on the go. The mask wearing is great for this as it hides my full cheeks!

I have played around with keto too but I found I didn't like it much on the bike. I always felt "heavy" and like I was at a near bonk and if my friends upped the pace I couldn't kick into 5th gear. Back to carbs, but trying to stick to the good ones, like sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The average American gained 1.5 lb per month in quarantine. Think about that...1.5lb per month is the average.

I'll be watching this thread for ideas as I could lose about 15lb. I'm a runner and I will say that I'm less ravenous for food after a long ride than a long run. But ill continue to do both as they complement each other and im injury free.

Reactions: stripes

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sugar

In Australia, the “Authorities“ have just given diet soda a better “health rating” than pure fruit juice - due to the high sugar content of the juice.

I love fruit juice, but knowing the sugar content try to not drink too much. I get 100% juice, with “extra pulp”, and mix it with sparkling water and Ice. I thought this was a good compromise.

I stopped buying the juice, and lost 2kg (4.5lbs)

For me, sugar is the enemy.

Now my “weight loss joke”:

At my aviation medical, the DR said “If you want to keep flying you need to lose weight. I’d advise you to not eat anything fatty.”
”You mean like fries and burgers?”
”No fatty, don’t eat anything!”

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Weight fluctuates over the winter (spotty opportunities to ride here, can only tolerate ~1 hour of trainer), but during the other half-to-three-quarters of the year, I've been on a slow/steady downward trend of 1 pound a week--I'm a stress eater, so it absolutely fluctuates. I'm off ~10 pounds, maybe, but I haven't weighed that since I was 15-16, and I'm not sure what I'll look like when I get there; I've been on a steady downward 60 pound loss for the last 9 years. Guess I'll evaluate then. I put that weight loss on a hiatus (or tried to) last year, to make sure that if I got sick I had some buffer.

I could probably lose 2 pounds a week, but I've noticed that when I do, I was borderline tired most of the time. It wasn't a bad thing, but since my ultimate goal is fitness, I decided that maybe it wasn't the best weight loss goal.

·
Registered
239 Posts
At my aviation medical, the DR said “If you want to keep flying you need to lose weight. I’d advise you to not eat anything fatty.”
”You mean like fries and burgers?”
”No fatty, don’t eat anything!”
That's pretty funny!

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
In the past I did calorie restriction and it worked as long as I kept it up. I just started intermittent fasting just because I think I might be able to sustain it better. Just skipping breakfast is my first step, combined with at least a little bit of light exercise in the morning without eating anything. I think I can handle that long-term and see what it does.
In the past I did carb restriction (for years) and it truly transformed my body. However the last couple of years I haven't seen the maintenance I've liked, so I am trying this. So far, so ok. I need to stick with it a bit longer while ramping up my riding (weather is finally helping with that), but I think it will help.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I’m in on this support thread!

Historically, I’ve binged every holiday season from Thanksgiving to New Year, gained 5+ pounds, then disciplined myself in January. I was on track last March, then COVID. And this year, I never was able to apply the discipline post-holidays.

I‘ve been waiting for a motivating factor, either entering an endurance race, or having to go back into the office (and fit into my work clothes). I believe both will happen Sep/Oct. This thread will help too.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I always put some winter weight on. COVID exacerbated that, but I got motivated around the beginning of the year and I am already back down to within 3 lbs of where I am happy, though if I lost 8 I would be very lean and happy with that as that's the weight where I think I truly should be.

Keto works to lose weight and fat but it definitely without a doubt scientifically is not sustainable and is also not good at all if you're doing anything approaching endurance rides.

This time around, shaking the winter/COVID weight my points of focus are: I completely gave up IPAs (a weakness) and have either no alcohol, or 1-2 glasses of red wine per night. When I cook at home I stick with lean proteins (chicken, tuna or shrimp) and a healthy side, when I go out about once a week I allow myself something less healthy like pizza or a burger. I've also started lifting weights more seriously. I always lifted but am lifting a lot more and with a lot more variety.

As spring and summer riding season ramp up, I go with the "I earned it theory." I know some people frown on that....but if I go on a 1,000 calorie-burn ride, I don't feel guilty at all having an IPA at my truck when the ride is over. This allows me to continue to partake in things like delicious beers yet still lose weight. I find that's important for me, because I do think life is to be enjoyed. If you start down a miserable/depravation path, it's never going to be sustainable.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Chocolate with over 70% cacao is good for you. The caffeine/l-thionine ratio, much like green tea, is a fat burner and would help any intense work out. Plus it's chock full of polyphenols and other antioxidants that are really good for well-being etc.

I rarely if ever use a scale, I think as a metric it's borderline useless. I always go by how I look in the mirror and how I feel.

Your body is prepped hormonally through winter and shorter daylight hours to slow down and gain fat. I think it's important to pay attention to that and slow down a bit. It's a healthy cycle.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Reactions: stripes
1 - 20 of 38 Posts