Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 24/34/46 standard crankset, and I have the option of going from 11-32 to an Ultegra 12-27 cassette in the rear.

My question is, is the loss of climbing power considerable with this setup? Climbing is not my strongpoint right now (but I'm working on it), so I'm slightly worried.

Any input would be great.

P.S. Does anyone make a 22t x 74mm chainring?

·
Velodramatic
533 Posts
in comparison to a standard 11-32 cassette you gonna lose the top end gear. usually the 32T sprocket spacing is 32 - 28 - ....

you see the 27T top end gear of the ultegra almost equals your second gear on your MTB cassette. works fine for me, both training and racing (XC, Hillclimbing, Marathon). although i have to admit that i run a 22/32/42 setup in front

·
Registered
110 Posts
try not using the larger cogs on your mtb cassette!

check my profile for my current set-up.

I run an 11-23 Dura Ace cassette with 22-32-44 XT Chainset. On a steep off-road climb of less than 300 yards, I typically climb in the middle ring and 23 on the cassette. On extended climbs, or if I'm out for more than 20 miles, I would use the granny. Staying in the saddle also saves the legs.

Why not check the number of teeth on your current cassette and experiment with not using the larger teeth cogs on a typical ride. If you wanted an extended experiment with not using the larger cogs at the back, you could also adjust the rear mech so those larger cogs could not be used.

The above seems a cheaper way to see if you can live with a road cassette without first having to shell out for one.

Two advantages come with a road cassette. (ultegra 12-27 will be around 223g)
My DA 11-23 weighs 156g. Around 100g saving over XTR (in most cases cheaper too!).
a closer ratio of gears, giving less occasions where you find yourself in between gears.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
try using sheldon browns calculator

precar said:
I have a 24/34/46 standard crankset, and I have the option of going from 11-32 to an Ultegra 12-27 cassette in the rear.

My question is, is the loss of climbing power considerable with this setup? Climbing is not my strongpoint right now (but I'm working on it), so I'm slightly worried.

@www.sheldonbrown.com this will tell exactly how much youll lose in the exchange. IMO i like having the gears there when i need um. Which is pretty often....

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
precar said:

Yes, you will lose some climbing power. Whether its too much or not is up to you. Browns calculator is a good tool, but it it still wont tell you what your legs will handle.
Do what Max said, and ride all of your usual hills, etc in a lower cog. Then you will be in a better position to make an informed decision. Many of us run a 20t granny with a 12-27 cassette, which gives the equivalent of a 22/30 set up. But this is only possible with a 5 bolt compact crankset.

If theres any doubt, do what Jrm said. Stay with the larger cassette.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Mr. Scary said:
You won't lose climbing power, you will lose lower gearing. Your power output is not dependent on gearing, but on your body.
But let's review, Christph Sauser's Olympic bike had 42/29 chainrings with either a XTR 11-34, or 12-34 cassette (It was not a SRAM cassette as was erroneously reported by some know it all on this board). Ask yourself, are you a better rider than him?
First of all, you are technically correct about the power thing, but the net result is the same. He's concerned about the potential loss of the ability to "power" himself up a given hill.

And Precar, don't worry about whether or not you are better than Christoph Sauser. There are many people who run higher gearing than him yet only 1 or 2 people in the world (or maybe none) that can say that they are better than him. It's completely dependent on where you ride and the power that YOU can put out and sustain, not Sauser. A 12-27 might just be O.K. for you.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Depends what you prefer... There are rather large hills around here, I run a 12/27 Ultrega cassette using 22/32/44 Chain rings and I find it perfect, ddispite the fact that I really do suck at climbing.

Closer ratio's VS Climbing is a descision upto you, would be handy if you could go 22t granny; that way the gear ratios are very simular between 24/32 and 22/27... I recon try it, for a few months- you legs will get stronger as will the lungs so it might well work fo you.

I know I'm happy with my setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.