Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Turkey Day Ride, Los Gatos, 2008. Is it to early to talk about this? I don't want to talk about tires or 401ks anymore. I want to talk about root vegetables, cloves, and desserts.

Can we get a flyer going like the other guys have? I know Repack Rider has his original one for the Appetite Seminar, and while in this day and age we don't really need a flyer for real posting, perhaps a graphics conscious mtbr'er could do something up that's fun for this thread.

I'm coming out (lol) of cheescake retirement for this event. The year off proved challenging, but fruitful. If you want to put up some cheesecake choices, I'll take requests. Popular options:

• Last year's Grand Marnier / Spice / Orange Zest
  • Ye Olde White Chocolate w/ pomegranate or raspberry glaze
  • Heath Bar - something new, but not every piece may get a heath bar chunk. So it goes - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Award winning Peanut Butter cheesecake with some kind of jelly glaze
  • Middle Eastern cardamom infused cheesecake with pistachio crust
  • Baileys, Kahlua, Frangelico, etc

What will you bring? Dude brought a dog last year. Dog tore up a turkey bone I tell you what

Cheers y'all!

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
I've missed this ride the past two years.

I don't drink, but man... I'd love to make it out this year. I might have to slap a granny ring on my trail bike though. Single-ringin' it doesn't do my body good.

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
I don't drink either and there is always plenty of choices, both to eat and drink. Come on up, bring some EANAB's to share. I'll most likely be bringing some ridiculously large amount of something. Samwise lives again! :thumbsup:

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
It's never too early to talk about the Turkey Ride. I hope to have wife and baby in tow this year. Not literally, but that may be the case. Still, I'll try to get another of Richelle's wonderful lemon and rosemary infused birds up the hill again.

That Grand Marnier cheesecake you made last year was the bomb.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
if i ever live in the south bay i gotta make this ride one year .... always end up doing pine mountain out of fairfax which doesnt involve quite as much beer but a lot more riding

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems to be a recurring theme that people think this is a drinkfest. There will be a bit of wine and beer there, but it's more of a food and community thing.. IMO anyway. Don't be afraid to go just because you don't drink. Better yet, bring an interesting and awesome nonalc drink to share!

·
Registered
246 Posts
So what exactly goes on here? Group rides then grub, grub, and more grub? Can't turn that down. How will the ride be? Got a couple of buddies with mountain bikes who always have the laimest excuses not to ride. I'm going to try and get them into the scene one last time for their bikes' sake. That's right; for the bikes' sake.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
beaverbiker said:
I'll be towing a keg again, trying to beat my time from last year. I'm thinking a keg of something strong >8%.
Please bring a larger keg!

·
Natural body armor
2,176 Posts
Had a chat with the ranger at the summit of Kennedy last Sunday.
He stressed that we got to be careful with alcohol, and more important on showing booze.
He said they are getting directives to be more strict to enforce rules and take action (i.e. tickets) if the basic rules are not complied with.

Basically it is ok to have beer and wine with out 'picnic', but even these will not be tolerated if alone. There's no hard alcohol (officially): i.e. mix your margaritas at home.
They'll keep an eye on underage drinking.

I don't like these rules, but these are the rules, just be careful as nobody wants this great event ruined or worse removed from the calendar.

Having said that, I don't have trailer to pull ( I sold it) with beers and chips in it this year.
So my plan is actually to convince wife to climb Kennedy and to sweet the deal, I'll be riding it first time on a SS (this way she can be faster than me)
But I'll make sure to put something yummy to share in my backpack.

This is unless somebody has a trailer I can borrow.
ZT

·
Mtbr Founder
34,827 Posts
J said:
What will you bring? Dude brought a dog last year. Dog tore up a turkey bone I tell you what

Cheers y'all!

That's Ty aka 'dirt diggler' and sheeso. Sheeso is bigger now and quite the athlete. He will take on anyone as the new King of Kennedy.

fc

·
Registered
82 Posts
beaverbiker said:
i need a larger trailer
If anyone shoots some video of you towing the empty keg *DOWN* the mountain, I'd like to see it. Try not to lose the tapper this year.

I was gonna go this year, but I'll be out of state. Yea, right.

How many father/son, or any parent/child riders go on this thing? I'm trying so psych myself to go some day, before I get much older than I already am.

Is there a prize for dead last but finished alive?

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Zen_Turtle said:
Ranger stuff
Very good points. Each year I've attended, rangers have been there, and they've been exceptionally cool. Everyone please be cool at this thing. Of course, people tend to be more well behaved in the am (alcohol wise especially).

·
Mtbr Founder
34,827 Posts
It's starting.....

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-1362371708265815474&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

fc

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Was heading up the hill yesterday and saw a few of the Filipino mafia coming down, doing recon... I think I smelled pork, snif, snif...;)

Gregg was also out with his wife (1st time climber) and his cute little boy about to try the iBert bike seat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
what time does it start?

hi all

my wife and i are considering funfilled ride up.

what time do the festivities begin?

since parking is limited up there, we will be riding from home
in almaden.

zaskar1

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.