Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the perimeter trail several times now and today I decided I was done with it, so when I quit bleeding and get my rear derailer fixed I'd like to try a different trail. I tried the Mitchell trail, but it's not really ridable (for me at least).

I live near the Conoco on diamond and have been riding up to the trailhead on Arizona, are there some other trails close that I should try?

thanks- Shane
 

·
Basura Blanca
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Shane; I'm booked today or I'd show you a couple new trails near your place. Have you tried hooking up with the Tuffriders on Tuesdays & Thursdays? That'd be a good way to learn what else is available. Until then, why not try Bayo Canyon? Park at the traffic circle just past the gold course (you'll often see other cars parked there). Follow the trail from there. Many options available, so just explore. Lots of sand down in the bottom of the canyon, but if you stay up on the "bench" the trail is in good shape.
- Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NuMexJoe said:
Shane; I'm booked today or I'd show you a couple new trails near your place. Have you tried hooking up with the Tuffriders on Tuesdays & Thursdays? That'd be a good way to learn what else is available. Until then, why not try Bayo Canyon? Park at the traffic circle just past the gold course (you'll often see other cars parked there). Follow the trail from there. Many options available, so just explore. Lots of sand down in the bottom of the canyon, but if you stay up on the "bench" the trail is in good shape.
- Joe
Thanks Joe, I'll try the Bayo next week.

I can't ride with Tuffriders yet, I have to work long hours for another few weeks. After that I would like to hook up with them. Is it the Tuffriders that are doing all the trail repair? I feel a little guilty riding on these nice groomed and cleaned trail without doing a bit of the work. Both the preimeter trail and the Mitchell trail have been gone over and log/blow-downs removed.

Anyone know anything about the Orienteering club? Looks interesting.
 

·
the cool nerd
Joined
·
8,643 Posts
some other trails that are in pretty good shape at the moment..Bridges (below the aquatic center), Walnut canyon (behind the golf course), Bayo canyon, Rendija Canyon (should go with a guide the first time or two), Dickless (behind the wellness center), Reverse Traverse (north side of West Jemez, although there are now signs calling it Perimeter trail). I don;t know your technical level, but most of these trails are pretty straight forward, each of them have some technical stretches (perfectly fine to dismount and walk) and some climbing (take breaks if needed). For a very difficult trail, Quemazon is in great shape until you get near the top/Pipeline)

Since it's difficult for you to ride with the Tuffies, when are you able to ride? My next couple of weekends are solid, but I might be able to meet you for some rides during the week..

scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sportsman said:
some other trails that are in pretty good shape at the moment..Bridges (below the aquatic center), Walnut canyon (behind the golf course), Bayo canyon, Rendija Canyon (should go with a guide the first time or two), Dickless (behind the wellness center), Reverse Traverse (north side of West Jemez, although there are now signs calling it Perimeter trail). I don;t know your technical level, but most of these trails are pretty straight forward, each of them have some technical stretches (perfectly fine to dismount and walk) and some climbing (take breaks if needed). For a very difficult trail, Quemazon is in great shape until you get near the top/Pipeline)

Since it's difficult for you to ride with the Tuffies, when are you able to ride? My next couple of weekends are solid, but I might be able to meet you for some rides during the week..

scott
I'll get my bike fixed this week and drop a line when it's done. I broke the rear derailer yesterday on a fall and need a new cog and the hanger straightened out. I'm not very good, but I've been riding on the road for about a year so I'm in OK shape. That just means I can charge up a hill pretty fast before I fall over, lol. At least that's what I did Friday.

I am headed down to the Kiva off of Pajarito Rd on Friday. I hiked to it last week, this week I want to bike the valley a little bit and look around. Do you know of any trails in that area?
 

·
Basura Blanca
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Shane; At the risk of taking business away from Alex (Land of Oz Bikes), which is not my intent, let me offer that if your bike needs work and the bike shop is backed up to the point that you're gonna be w/o a bike for more days than you'd like, consider asking for help here on the board. If you could score the pulley from the shop, I've got the proper alignment tool. You could be back on the trail in a day.

WRT the trails along Pajarito Rd., I have no info. I've hiked to the Painted Cave in Mortendad Cnyn, but never considered riding there.
- Joe
 

·
the cool nerd
Joined
·
8,643 Posts
NuMexJoe said:
Shane; At the risk of taking business away from Alex (Land of Oz Bikes), which is not my intent, let me offer that if your bike needs work and the bike shop is backed up to the point that you're gonna be w/o a bike for more days than you'd like, consider asking for help here on the board. If you could score the pulley from the shop, I've got the proper alignment tool. You could be back on the trail in a day.

WRT the trails along Pajarito Rd., I have no info. I've hiked to the Painted Cave in Mortendad Cnyn, but never considered riding there.
- Joe
You have an alignment tool (the sound of gears are cranking in my noggin). I have a bike that I'd like to check the alignment of..I also have a sweatshirt that belongs to you, NMJ...see where this is going...

I've ridden in to Painted Cave a few times, from the labs side of things. I'm not sure if Mortendad is ridable or allowable at the moment though. They were doing a lot of work/drilling in there over the winter. I don't think that you're allowed to ride in the area east of 4 (near the Bandelier parking area).

scott
 

·
Basura Blanca
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
The road (Puye Rd?) down into Mortendad that runs by my office at TA-52 is open again. Drilling is pretty much finished.

I was just thinking about that sweathshirt this AM, wondering if you all had finished unpacking. Gimme a call and we can arrange a transfer. Did you decide on whether you want to reserve Cherokee space for Western Swing?
 

·
the cool nerd
Joined
·
8,643 Posts
NuMexJoe said:
The road (Puye Rd?) down into Mortendad that runs by my office at TA-52 is open again. Drilling is pretty much finished.

I was just thinking about that sweathshirt this AM, wondering if you all had finished unpacking. Gimme a call and we can arrange a transfer. Did you decide on whether you want to reserve Cherokee space for Western Swing?
no can do on the western swing

your shirt has been sitting by the door. Saw the NewMexDonna yesterday, looked like whe was having a good time in the rocks
 

·
Vita brevis
Joined
·
440 Posts
Let me know

NuMexJoe said:
Shane; At the risk of taking business away from Alex (Land of Oz Bikes), which is not my intent, let me offer that if your bike needs work and the bike shop is backed up to the point that you're gonna be w/o a bike for more days than you'd like, consider asking for help here on the board. If you could score the pulley from the shop, I've got the proper alignment tool. You could be back on the trail in a day.

WRT the trails along Pajarito Rd., I have no info. I've hiked to the Painted Cave in Mortendad Cnyn, but never considered riding there.
- Joe
Land of Oz has a new mechanic, (me) and we have been rolling the repairs out the door in a pretty timely fashion. I am currently there wed. thru fri. and if you really need something fixed in a hurry (like for a race or a trip) let me know, I can often get to it when I am caught up or after hours.
I too am new to the trails in LA and am interested in learning more about them. I can trade trail info on the trails in my area (other side of Valle Grande).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
rustus said:
I can trade trail info on the trails in my area (other side of Valle Grande).
I don't need any help with bike repairs but I am curious about the snow/mud/trail conditions on the "other" side of the Valle Grande. When do you suppose the greater part of the Jemez is going to be ridable?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sportsman said:
You have an alignment tool (the sound of gears are cranking in my noggin). I have a bike that I'd like to check the alignment of..I also have a sweatshirt that belongs to you, NMJ...see where this is going...

I've ridden in to Painted Cave a few times, from the labs side of things. I'm not sure if Mortendad is ridable or allowable at the moment though. They were doing a lot of work/drilling in there over the winter. I don't think that you're allowed to ride in the area east of 4 (near the Bandelier parking area).

scott
Scott and Joe, that sounds great, I'll stop by Land of Oz tonight on the way home and see if Alex has a pulley. I still owe him $150 for a saddle he picked up for me last week, so he'll be happy to see me. I'll try to bend the hanger back tonight too, then maybe we can hook up to set things right with the bike.

I work on Puye Rd, at TA 52. We went to the Kiva last week (Wednesday?) and poked around the canyon a little. They were done drilling and were just cataloging core samples, we chatted with the geo-guys for a few minutes. I think we were the only people they had talked to for weeks, lol.
 

·
Vita brevis
Joined
·
440 Posts
now

XTRKona said:
I don't need any help with bike repairs but I am curious about the snow/mud/trail conditions on the "other" side of the Valle Grande. When do you suppose the greater part of the Jemez is going to be ridable?
I rode a few miles of FT 137 (East Fork trail) yesterday, just checking trail contitions. Most of the snow is gone and the mud is not to bad. Another week of good weather and even the sections in the bottom of the canyon (between east fork trailhead and Jemez falls) should be rideable. The trail in from Los Conchas is partly under water now, runoff, the river is quite high. The trail from Jemez Falls to Battleship (one of my favorites) is rideable now. I haven't been out on the Dome yet this spring.
 

·
Vita brevis
Joined
·
440 Posts
You're welcome

Next month, after the FS opens the roads (and after my wedding!) I will be checking on the trails on top of Virgin Mesa and the Dome. I can post conditions if folks are interested.
 

·
the cool nerd
Joined
·
8,643 Posts
XTRKona said:
Thanks man! Two more weekends of house stuff and I will be ready to head up to the mountains for some big rides. Cant wait.
I hear that you went to Moab a couple of weeks ago..

Color me green with envy

scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NuMexJoe said:
Shane; At the risk of taking business away from Alex (Land of Oz Bikes), which is not my intent, let me offer that if your bike needs work and the bike shop is backed up to the point that you're gonna be w/o a bike for more days than you'd like, consider asking for help here on the board. If you could score the pulley from the shop, I've got the proper alignment tool. You could be back on the trail in a day.

WRT the trails along Pajarito Rd., I have no info. I've hiked to the Painted Cave in Mortendad Cnyn, but never considered riding there.
- Joe
Joe, Alex ordered the parts I need today and they will be in next week so I'm on the cyclocross this weekend. He is backed up several days in the shop (about a week) so if I could use your tool when the parts come it I would sure appreciate it.

I went down Mortendad Cyn today for lunch, nice ride. I chased some elk for a while, almost ran over a horny toad and otherwise thoughly enjoyed myself. There was no wind to speak of in the canyon, very pleasant.
 

·
Basura Blanca
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Sounds like a nice ride. I waited until almost dark when the wind had quit, strapped on my light and rode Dot Grant & most of Perimeter. You're welcome to borrow the Der. hanger alignment tool. I'm down the road from you at TA-52. Call me at 5-4844 once the parts are in. I'll bring the tool in the following day, and we can take care of it over lunch.
- Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
sportsman said:
I hear that you went to Moab a couple of weeks ago..

Color me green with envy

scott
Shhhh.........it was a secret. Don't worry you did miss much. The weather sucked (no wind, 70's, sunny), trails were lame (Amasa/Rockstacker, TOW, Bartletts, Porc, Sovereign ST), and the people we met on the trail were lame punk ass tourists (LunaChix two days in a row). To top it off the tequilla was cheap (Heradura Silver) and the steaks sucked (filet mignon).
 

·
the cool nerd
Joined
·
8,643 Posts
XTRKona said:
Shhhh.........it was a secret. Don't worry you did miss much. The weather sucked (no wind, 70's, sunny), trails were lame (Amasa/Rockstacker, TOW, Bartletts, Porc, Sovereign ST), and the people we met on the trail were lame punk ass tourists (LunaChix two days in a row). To top it off the tequilla was cheap (Heradura Silver) and the steaks sucked (filet mignon).
you're killing me, smalls..

I've only ridden 2 of those trails. I'm so bluesin' that I can't get out there this weekend...
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top