Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pajarito Ski area in Los alamos is starting lift days for hiking and biking this Saturday. The schedule is pretty much every 1st and 3rd saturday of the month ( 6/2, 6/1- 7/7, 7/21- 8/4, 8/18- 9/8, 9/22) This saturday is a festival with food and beer. The mountain has printed new maps and is trying to get $5K worth of signage installed in time. There is a new "North Shore" trail with almost 1/4 mile of elevated stuff :cool: (both high and on the ground) in addition an intermediate DH trail was worked on last fall. $15 bucks for some great lift riding (10-3) is a hell of a deal. Everyone should be trying alittle FR and Downhill type riding. There's also some new XC trails that were added since last year. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
I make light things heavy
115 Posts
This place is soooo cool!

It is great to see this mountian expanding. I got to ride it durring Ullr fest last year and it was really great. Is the teeter-totter back in place this year? That thing was so much fun. I can still feel it going over if I close my eyes and find my happy place.

Cool lift accessed ridding this close to the ABQ is clutch. if only Sandia would get off their duffs and make it work then we would have some top notch local chioces.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hrsjqb1 said:
Is the teeter-totter back in place this year? That thing was so much fun. I can still feel it going over if I close my eyes and find my happy place.
I heard the teeter may be broken again from people skiing & snowboarding it in wet snow conditions. I'll probably try to fix it but don't know its status for this weekend yet. I'm building several bombproof ones up at Angel Fire this year that should survive anything for years to come

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
schmity said:
What the hell. Do you just get paid to build stuff like this for resorts?
Somtimes but not always. You gotta put in alot of work if you want to have a bunch of fun different stuff. Lots of shovel and hammer time - sometimes it just takes alot of riding down it to break it in - That's the best trail work :cool:

·
Is the bike OK?
956 Posts
Fun on Saturday!

More Trail Info: Gary just finished a totally new single track downhill trail. It was designed for XC riders to finish after the uphill climb to the top of the mountain but will make a really good downhill trail with no pedaling. As Rich mentioned, he'll be finished with the North Shore trail tonight (see ya up there). There's also a bunch of trails and stunts that were put in last summer for anyone who hasn't been there a while.

More Trail Plans: A race quality downhill trail will be built over the summer for 2008 racing and riding. We're also talking about putting in a dirt jump course in the trees just above and west of the lodge. The jump course still needs final approval but the ski hill is being really cool these days.

Other Info: Everything at Pajarito has been built by hard working volunteers and the ski hill is a non-profit organization located on private land that they own (no FS approvals needed!). Rich has done the most freeride/downhill construction and Gary has done the most XC/easier DH trail construction, thanks guys!

Schedule: Twice a month this summer, see http://www.skipajarito.com/ for details. Next summer will hopefully be every weekend but we need a good showing this summer to make running the lifts more often worth while!

Hey Jaime, hope you can make it this summer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
rsclimb said:
I heard the teeter may be broken again from people skiing & snowboarding it in wet snow conditions. I'll probably try to fix it but don't know its status for this weekend yet. I'm building several bombproof ones up at Angel Fire this year that should survive anything for years to come
thanks for the update

·
Vita brevis
441 Posts
Gonna be there with the wife on saturday to take her on th xc trails. I was wondering, those ladder bridges and log rides look pretty sweet, are they rideable on a cross country bike? I have 4.5 inches front and rear and can ride some pretty technical stuff, but have never ridden on dedicated freeride trails. I have done drops to about three feet to flat without bottoming my shocks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

·
Is the bike OK?
956 Posts
Some of the ladder bridges and log rides are very technical but don't require big suspension unless you do the drops off the ends. There are two log rides that have big drops at the end but it is easy to get off of them and take another line before you get that far. If you look at the fourth picture it shows me jumping off the end of one of them but you'll notice to the right of the drop there's another line over the log. That's the easy out. There are lots of smaller drops and jumps too all over the ski hill. Enjoy Saturday!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, The P3 will be fine. Some of the trails are buff and others would be alittle bumpy. A few of the landings could be harsh but most are butter - The road gap has been hit on a hardtail.
Here are some pictures that Gary took of the middle section on Lower Mothers Milk, The log ride comes right after the serpent bridge (look at the first set of pics) and is followed by a wide bridge with a great drop (2nd pic). This trail is pretty much as fun as 'clown shoes" at Whistler :eekster: :eekster: so all you FR types should get up here next weekend. The Big log ride picture is Ben (Neals son) on Battle Stations. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Ride Hard, Ride Free
427 Posts
rsclimb said:
Yep, The P3 will be fine. Some of the trails are buff and others would be alittle bumpy. A few of the landings could be harsh but most are butter - The road gap has been hit on a hardtail.
Here are some pictures that Gary took of the middle section on Lower Mothers Milk, The log ride comes right after the serpent bridge (look at the first set of pics) and is followed by a wide bridge with a great drop (2nd pic). This trail is pretty much as fun as 'clown shoes" at Whistler :eekster: :eekster: so all you FR types should get up here next weekend. The Big log ride picture is Ben (Neals son) on Battle Stations. :thumbsup:
OMG, is that the NS ;) ...good work Rich:thumbsup: ...I'll see you up there next weekend.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.