Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
pain intolerant
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's still in the proposal/approval stage, but this will be just awesome if it gets approved. Kudos to the organizers. I for one will be the first in line to volunteer (as I doubt I'll have my legs back from the Firecracker 50).:thumbsup:

https://www.larimer.org/specialevent/application_detail.cfm?id=352

Description:
We will be running a benefit mountain bike race. The race is an endurance race of 50 miles. The course would be one lap, using the trails of Hosretooth Mountain Park and Lory State Park, a 7:00am start time would be staged at the Soilder Canyon Group Area in Lory State park and then traveling over thier trails to the ajoining trails at Horsetooth. The trails being used at Horsetooth would be; Towers, Nomad, Mill Creek, Loggers, Sawnill, Stout, Harrington,Carey Springs, Soderburg, and Wathen. The racers would be spread out by the time they reach the Horsetooth trails and the finish line will be in Lory State Park.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
I saw some mention of this a week or two ago. That is going to be a tough day in the bike, not only a lot of climbing but a lot more technical than your typical endurance race. Better have your upper body ready too.

·
pain intolerant
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jdub said:
I saw some mention of this a week or two ago. That is going to be a tough day in the bike, not only a lot of climbing but a lot more technical than your typical endurance race. Better have your upper body ready too.
Agreed. This could be one of the tougher endurance races around. If I'm reading the description correctly, there are two separate climbs up to the Towers (one via 1/2 singletrack and 1/2 Tower Rd, the second via just Tower Rd.). Then a climb up Southridge Rd to Wathen. Almost every trail up there has a fair bit of technical riding. And, with the exception of the valley trails, where it's not technical it's STEEP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is one convoluted "loop". Other than towers & the main HT service road it is all singletrack with the majority of it being quite techy. Coming down Mill Creek will be interesting at mile 40! Count me in if they can get the county & state park's approval.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
molastotown said:
That is one convoluted "loop". Other than towers & the main HT service road it is all singletrack with the majority of it being quite techy. Coming down Mill Creek will be interesting at mile 40! Count me in if they can get the county & state park's approval.
+1 also I think the start needs to have a road climb to stretch out the field before single track is reached.

·
FleshwoundGravityResearch
1,285 Posts
Kaba Klaus said:
+1 also I think the start needs to have a road climb to stretch out the field before single track is reached.
Max participants = 100. There won't be too much need for stretching out, as that is like one age/class wave at a lot of other events around CO. If this 100 is split into a few classes, the bunching won't be bad at all.

That said, a start at the base of towers up to the Stout (north) down Sawmill to the valley trails and out to the proposed start would have everyone riding in pretty small groups or even alone.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
sgltrak said:
Looks like you have some strong competition in the SS category.
Oh, no worries. I'm usually cannon-fodder for the big guns anyway. Shell-away! The best I can offer is to not get completely blown away in the hole-shot and put up some kind of fight post initial melee.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.