Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been discussed here before but after a couple of rides with the
Lopes Link I discovered one little problem with it. Little stones tend to get caught in the
Lopes Link, more exactly underneath the part with Lopes on it. It is actually quite easy to
understand how this happens, since the tires pick up stones and through them towards
the LL from behind (arrow A). In this way some stones get caught in the LL (arrow B). This
might cause some nasty scratches as I try to indicate in the picture. Has anyone else
experienced this issue? Is this something IBIS considered during the design process?
Hans? I know that those scratches are a purely cosmetic problem but wonder if over time
stones might work their way through the frame material.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
How about putting a tape, just like the frameskin protector, right below/underneath the link?

You have to apply the tape before putting on the link..

Just a suggestion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
goyoyl said:
How about putting a tape, just like the frameskin protector, right below/underneath the link?

You have to apply the tape before putting on the link..

Just a suggestion
Definitely something to start with ( I did that actually) but I am not sure that this helps since the stone just sits there and with every movement of the shock scratches its way through the tape.
 

·
half tread will travel
Joined
·
240 Posts
SvenW said:
Definitely something to start with ( I did that actually) but I am not sure that this helps since the stone just sits there and with every movement of the shock scratches its way through the tape.
hey guys, seems like a soft neoprene shield or peter g fender may help...good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
In 6 months - you will not care:)

Hi-

I have owned my Mojo for two years now. I got it before most folks got one, so I was super nervous about the carbon frame and scratches, etc. I placed clear tape all over the bike to protect it. My buddies mocked me saying I add a lot of weight to the ligh weight frame. Two years later, you realize it is a super fun bike and your ignore the scratches and you quit worrying about the percieved fragile nature of carbon fiber.

The bike can handle it - scratches add character (just like scars;).

I generally do not wash my bike (I avoid water unless it is on the trail), I just brush mud and dirt off, so I never notice the scratches.

The lopes link is an awesome addition that I find improves the bike handling. I just added a thru-axle to the rear wheel - can't wait for the next trail ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
SvenW said:
I don't know if this has been discussed here before but after a couple of rides with the
Lopes Link I discovered one little problem with it. Little stones tend to get caught in the
Lopes Link, more exactly underneath the part with Lopes on it. It is actually quite easy to
understand how this happens, since the tires pick up stones and through them towards
the LL from behind (arrow A). In this way some stones get caught in the LL (arrow B). This
might cause some nasty scratches as I try to indicate in the picture. Has anyone else
experienced this issue? Is this something IBIS considered during the design process?
Hans? I know that those scratches are a purely cosmetic problem but wonder if over time
stones might work their way through the frame material.
We have not noticed that with our dirt / trails, but I can see that scratches might occur as a result of crud getting in there. FYI it is super beefy construction there and there's nothing to worry about other than the superficial looks.

H
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Hey Sven, has this actually happened to you? From your post it seems you are conjecturing that it (the scratching) COULD happen. It certainly does happen with the lower link. Anybody out there actually have scratches here? It's worth keeping an eye on.

The tape sounds like a good idea except that it will narrow the gap and allow smaller debris to get caught. I say leave it alone, and inspect and floss the area regularly. :D
 

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
:yawn:

This is making me sleepy. :D

Gotta take the good with the bad.....nothing is perfect. We wanted a better/stiffer link, we got it. Can it have a small negative affect? I guess this would be one.

Here's a solution not mentioned. I'll trade you my Non-Scratching-Dual-Links for yours. It's not the exact color I wanted....but hey, like I said, nothing's perfect. I'll somehow learn to deal with it. :thumbsup:

All I know is that I can't wait for my next ride.....which is TODAY!

Ride on.
 

·
Reviewer/Tester
Joined
·
6,176 Posts
Grab a small piece of sticky clear tape, like helicopter tape.
Stick one end onto the Lopes link logo, the other end onto the bottom of the LL so the tape covers the hole.


Rainman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Dude!: I totally agree with you. Stuff looks much better after a time of use. Still I have to go through this time of being over concerned. I definitely won't tape my Mojo SL because I think it is silly and since I love its matte clear looks. This bike is made for tough riding and it should look accordingly.

@hanssc: this is all I wanted to know. Thank you.

@burkut: yes I noticed that after my second ride.

@Rainman: no tape on my bike. I am not too worried about scratches otherwise I would not have bought this bike. Just wanted to be sure that there won't be any functional problems.

@ddraewwg: sleepy people are not good for the technical evolution. I have got no experience with the dual links since my bike came with the LL. So I am solely concerned with the status quo and not with what was then. And why not making something that is nearly perfect even better? I am sure that Ibis appreciates our feed back since we are - beside their own tests - maybe the most important driving force for their bike evolution. (Why do I think so much Darwin this year?)

BTW, I connected the two rear cables with a piece of inner tube and discovered that this should reduce the problem significantly. If I survive my next ride I will see.

And did I say that I love my new bike? I honestly believe that my life is better now…
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
...connected the two rear cables with a piece of inner tube...

A very elegant solution that covers two problems at once. I like it.

I'd forgotten that I made a piece of protection for the frame near the lower link. This thread reminds me now. It must be working if I don't pay attention to it.

I made a mud flap out of 2mm foam sheet you can buy in a multitude of colors at any craft store. I used black but it doesn't matter what you buy because it ends up the color of mud anyway. Cut two slits in the 'shoulders' of the piece and use a ziptie just below the front der. clamp.

I put some clear tape on the swingarm below the flap to keep the gritty foam from wearing into the frame. If you make it too long the suspension action will push the flap into the tire. It seems to work at keeping the big chunks out of my crack.;)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
Rainman said:
Grab a small piece of sticky clear tape, like helicopter tape.
Stick one end onto the Lopes link logo, the other end onto the bottom of the LL so the tape covers the hole.

Rainman.
The debris is coming from the rear tire, the link kind of funnels the dirt to the front, I think. The tape on the front of the link would hold more stuff?, Maybe.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
lopes link

It's funny how I got on the forum tonight to discuss this issue and there it is.....already happened to one of you. Here's mine after riding it @ sdf(soquel demo forrest). I noticed a big "ding" just under the link. Sorry the photo did not come out that great...but notice the chip just below the letter "L". It's pretty deep. Hans, is there a "touch up" type of resin you guys might be able to provide, or perhaps something I can get at the local home depot? I was thinking of clear nail polish but I don't know how that would last.....any suggestions?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,444 Posts
bayareaflip said:
It's funny how I got on the forum tonight to discuss this issue and there it is.....already happened to one of you. Here's mine after riding it @ sdf(soquel demo forrest). I noticed a big "ding" just under the link. Sorry the photo did not come out that great...but notice the chip just below the letter "L". It's pretty deep. Hans, is there a "touch up" type of resin you guys might be able to provide, or perhaps something I can get at the local home depot? I was thinking of clear nail polish but I don't know how that would last.....any suggestions?
Clear nail polish is what we would suggest.

Sorry about that!

Hans
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
In the Moto Cross arena anywhere we don't want mud,pebbles,rocks, or other debris(?) to acumulate we protect it as follows.
A small piece of double sided tape and a custom cut piece of foam, or sponge works wonders. Of course it would absolutely suck to plaster that stuff all over a beautiful Mojo, or any part on the Mojo. It was all I could do to force myself to even place the 3M protective tape on my Mojo.
How's this for ironny (?), after about 4 rides I was out riding and was forced to stop at a very inopertune time as the rider in front of me failed an ugly rock climb. I had a fairly nasty get off in a very rocky area, I raked the upper top left of the down tube area with a very sharp rock. I did not even notice the damage until I was loading the bike later in the day. (True story) After I rubbed the white rock residue off of my frame (it appears as though the frame was harder than the rock) I had a scratch about 5" long that just barely scraped the clear coat off and appears to have not even come close to penetrating the frame tube itself. That is some tough stuff.
Although the scratch sucks, I am a lot less worried about the frame now than I was before.
YZF571
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top