Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellow fellow Ibians, Thought I'd share with you some bearing 101 ideas.

I just got my new Lopes link (red) and thought I'd check the bearings for grease.

Ever wonder why some of your pivot bearings seem to seize and some don't? Or, some last longer that others?

I carefully removed all four bearing seals (seal pick set, Grainger, $10.00) and to my surprise one bearing had VERY little, if any, grease. Anyway, what I'm doing to all of my ball bearings is popping off the seals and applying a few drops of Dumonse TECH liquid grease (ya, very over priced). This should perserve the bearings for several years if I do this once a season. Since I like to wash my bike after every ride it will be a good idea.

Ball bearings are ment for 360 degee rotation (for propper internal lubrication), so applying too much grease for this application will not cause any problems, like seals popping off. I think that's one reason the bearing manufacturers put a limited amount of grease in the bearings. Actually, using roller ball bearings for non 360 degree rotation is not the propper application for ball bearings. A bronze bushing should be used with a grease (zerk) fitting instead. That's for bearings 102

Anyway, give this a try on all of your bike bearings, even the ones in your wheel hubs.

I will post some pictures if anyone in intersted.

Let me know how you make out

David

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another Point

I guess I should have said in the above blog is, don't take it for granted that your new bearings have sufficient grease inside of them. Especially for the type of conditions we put them through.

David

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Good advice... on my old Ventana I actually drill grease port holes into the middle of the split bushings and was able to inject fresh lube any time it needed... I wish it was this EZ on the Mojo. I know the SC Blur LT2 has a grease port on the lower/main pivot.

I too rinse my bike after every (winter/wet) ride, so I guess my bearings will be shot come spring time if I don't do something about it....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Maybe Ibis could use a more reputable bearing manufacturer in the future? Wondering what the quality control is like for the bearing manufacturer used by Ibis if these issues come up (considering the cost of the links, I'd think the bearings would be better or more robust out of the box).

·
Guesswho117
254 Posts
I've been reading a lot of these posts and I'm shocked to hear some people are having to replace their bearings after as little as 6 months to a year. I believe Ibis could look into using some aircraft bearings like Marin Bikes which offer a lifetime warranty on their bearings. If Marin Bikes can offer this, I believe Ibis and other manufactures can also. This will only improve on what is already a great bike.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guesswho117 said:
I've been reading a lot of these posts and I'm shocked to hear some people are having to replace their bearings after as little as 6 months to a year. I believe Ibis could look into using some aircraft bearings like Marin Bikes which offer a lifetime warranty on their bearings. If Marin Bikes can offer this, I believe Ibis and other manufactures can also. This will only improve on what is already a great bike.
Life time on a sealed bearing is interesting. There's only so many ways you can seal a ball bearing, that being a steel or rubber type of seal, or single or double lip. I have a hunch that the bearings Marin uses have the same seals that everyone else is using.

That's why I feel that if you load the bearings with a good water proof grease, the life will be prolonged better than anything else you can do (beside not riding at all).

my $.02

David

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mojo Man said:
Life time on a sealed bearing is interesting. There's only so many ways you can seal a ball bearing, that being a steel or rubber type of seal, or single or double lip. I have a hunch that the bearings Marin uses have the same seals that everyone else is using.

That's why I feel that if you load the bearings with a good water proof grease, the life will be prolonged better than anything else you can do (beside not riding at all).

my $.02

David
Yep, I own one of those Marins (but I think the lifetime warranty is only in U.K.) Bearings seem the same as all the others, but I'll take a look at the numbers on them to see if there is something special. The latest quad link has the bearings in a very protected location, which is why I believe they can get away with this warranty. And maybe they specify more grease like Phil Wood?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
DH_WP said:
How do you get teh bearing seal off.?.. would love some pictures......
The rubber seals on the sides can be pealed away from the outside edge of the seal. Carefully peal the edge away using a very small flat screw driver or pin. They will pop off easily. And the seals will press back on with finger pressure. Sorry no pictures to show, but I think you'll find it easy to do.

My untouched Mojo bearings have lasted far longer overall than similar sized bearings in my prior horst link bike. One of the lower small bearings was notchy but not loose after a year and a half of neglect. However, my conditions are dry more than 3/4's of the year. And I do wash dust or mud off my bike after nearly every ride. Dry mud and dust accumulation on the bearings causes more rapid "evaporation" or wicking of the grease past the seals.

:thumbsup:

·
Guesswho117
254 Posts
So I went over to my Marin Quake and took a good look at the bearings which I never really paid attention to and realized the bearings on the Marin had dust covers that screwed right into the links. I remove the dust cover and discovered the outside of the sealed bearings were packed with grease. The sealed bearings appeared to look similar to one on my Mojo SL. So there you have it. Tons of waterproof grease and a dust cover is Marin's secret to liftetime warranty on the bearings.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Guesswho117 said:
So I went over to my Marin Quake and took a good look at the bearings which I never really paid attention to and realized the bearings on the Marin had dust covers that screwed right into the links. I remove the dust cover and discovered the outside of the sealed bearings were packed with grease. The sealed bearings appeared to look similar to one on my Mojo SL. So there you have it. Tons of waterproof grease and a dust cover is Marin's secret to liftetime warranty on the bearings.
My '07 Mt Vision had no grease under the screw-on dust caps. Might be a new addition to improve bearing life.

·
Raupe Nimmersatt
63 Posts
I´d love to grease it up but is there any thread where to find the recommended torque for all the screws, dust caps and stuff on the Mojo? Does anyone know this and would he/she please kindly share the information?

·
Registered
452 Posts
SMT42 said:
No torque numbers from Ibis. I believe the recomendation is tighten untill tight and use blue lock tight. I would recomend against attaching a pipe to the ratchet and jumping on it.
I had a pretty bad experience with using blue loctite yesterday - when I was taking off my swingarm (different issue), the bolts had become seized to the inside race. It was a *massive* PITA to free them, and in the process two bearings were damaged and had to be replaced, and one of the bolts was nicked up a bit.

The bearing seal pick sounds like a pretty good idea - I need to place an order sometime soon at Grainger anyway.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Mojo Man said:
I carefully removed all four bearing seals (seal pick set, Grainger, $10.00) and to my surprise one bearing had VERY little, if any, grease. Anyway, what I'm doing to all of my ball bearings is popping off the seals and applying a few drops of Dumonse TECH liquid grease (ya, very over priced). This should perserve the bearings for several years if I do this once a season. Since I like to wash my bike after every ride it will be a good idea.
David, do you have the part number for that seal pick set? I went to Grainger today to restock on earplugs and had absolutely no luck on that - the clerk couldn't find it, I didn't see it in the catalog, and the Grainger tech we called said they don't carry such a thing.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kestrel242 said:
David, do you have the part number for that seal pick set? I went to Grainger today to restock on earplugs and had absolutely no luck on that - the clerk couldn't find it, I didn't see it in the catalog, and the Grainger tech we called said they don't carry such a thing.
Sorry for the delay. it's actually called an O'ring pick set. Here are some Grainger part numbers:

1EKB1
4F418

Hope this helps

David

·
Registered
575 Posts
Saftey Pin

Mojo Man said:
Sorry for the delay. it's actually called an O'ring pick set. Here are some Grainger part numbers:

1EKB1
4F418

Hope this helps

David
I have been using a saftey pin, works really well. I packed my upper link bearings and my headset bearings. You guys have been scaring me with all the talk of dry bearings, I really packed them, I think with periodic maintenance you can probably get a lot more life out of these bearings.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.