Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted that Brian Lopes has 3 non-SL Mojos and the one we see the most, the orange frame, has a custom swingarm with stiffer carbon layup. I'm curious if that is the only non-production aspect or if the different rear end makes for different geo.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Lelandjt said:
Someone posted that Brian Lopes has 3 non-SL Mojos and the one we see the most, the orange frame, has a custom swingarm with stiffer carbon layup. I'm curious if that is the only non-production aspect or if the different rear end makes for different geo.
The Orange has stock geometry. Changing geometry is not a small tweak with the overhead of changing CF molds and/or designing and fabricating new drop outs and gigs.

Recently we have seen the Orange one most on magazine covers and many posts about the Whistler A-Line DH race win. I've see the Green and Guinness Foam more often in earlier DS race pictures. Actually I guess he has 4, there's pics of a Blue Mojo on the Ibis site from his earlier FR session photos and DH race wins.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think the Orange one has 100gms more carbon in the swing arm and runs a slightly shortened custom Marzocchi unit.

BTW I think it is asounding that there may be as little a 100gms in it between the stock Mojo and his. Probably one of the key reasons for my purchase.

I also believe that many of the light setups here are wasting the bikes full potential. I ride hard, I race DH on a Brooklyn and I LOVE the Mojo. I simply cannot understand the spindly build ups. The bike is SO quick. It isn't stiff i the non- LL guise but it certainly isn't flexy either. I don't believe that I have noticed anything whislt riding that the poinless car park tests show up.

Did my first 25ft gap today. Wicked. Top speed recorded so far 38mph...which is about as fast as most riders get coming down a world cup course like Fort William.

Waiting for the LL which won't be in the UK untill Jan apparently. Also have a Cane Creek 110 HS to pop in.

I can honestly say that the decision to sign Mt Lopes was an inspired one. I don't think the Mojo would even be on my "to be considered list" add to that the fact that the Ibis guys are straight up honest and really go out of their way and I will predict that this won't be my last Ibis.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
nzl62 said:
I think the Orange one has 100gms more carbon in the swing arm and runs a slightly shortened custom Marzocchi unit.
I remember they did limit stroke on the DS race air shocks, I haven't seen where they shortened i2i of the shock.

With stock 2 inch stroke, shorting the i2i more than 1/8 inch would allow a 2.3 tire to hit the seat post.

I would think that setting rear sag a little deeper would gain just about as much DH race performance as 3/8 inch lower BB. But at Lopes level of talent and skill, every millimeter in geometry change might be noticeable in performance.

Ibis and Lopes probably don't reveal all their development secrets ;)

·
Registered
752 Posts
nzl62 said:
I also believe that many of the light setups here are wasting the bikes full potential. I ride hard... I simply cannot understand the spindly build ups. The bike is SO quick...
Here, here!

Finally, someone speaking my language.
Unfortunately, there;\'s only a few Aggro Mojos built up here - but I firmly believe that's the way to show the true colours of this bike: though axle, beefy fork, beefy tires, wide handlebars and it'll just fly!

700 Posts
The dirt on Lopes' bikes.

wheelhot said:
Hmm, if Im not mistaken he has a custom shock mount, or something like that to fit is Marz Roco shock.
Well here's the real story, since I build all Brians suspension personally. The shocks are stock length, 200 x 50mm. He has roughly 6 bikes at any given time and everyone is built up a little different, all colors.

One bike is his "dh" bike. It has a LL damping, coil rear shock, 55 ATA fork with RC3 damper (160mm, 5.9lb). He has had this bike custom made with off-set headset cups in the frame to get the 67 headangle. This bike is not availible. He runs the same size tires front and rear, El Moco front, Small block (trimmed) rear. 29lbs! (this is the bike he won A-Line on). It is simpily sick how fast he descends on this bike.

He has has a few frames with extra carbon wrap on the rear ends but is going back to stock frames...since he's a wieght freak;) and has had no frame issues all year even with the stock wrap.

He has an SL built up with a 140mm (15mm axle) fork that's weighes a nice lively 26lbs and small change last time I checked. I'm sure he is working on making it lighter some how...he loves his bikes! He has a ROCO LO shock on it.

No custom shock mounts, all standard geometery except for one frame.

Then there's his Tranny, rediculously light for a Slalom bike / BMX bike. Incredible ride!! It has a stock 44 ATA 15mm fork.

I also have a Mojo, 29.2lbs, all air, ROCO TST Air, and 55ATA, RC3 (not availible), Gravity dropper seatpost, XTR drivetrain, XT tubeless wheels. It has to be the nicest bike I have ever ridden in this catagory.

My Ibis rules!!

·
Mojo0115
1,667 Posts
Ro.nin said:
Here, here!

Finally, someone speaking my language.
Unfortunately, there;\'s only a few Aggro Mojos built up here - but I firmly believe that's the way to show the true colours of this bike: though axle, beefy fork, beefy tires, wide handlebars and it'll just fly!
Agreed!

Fat Mojo's are definitely fun times. :thumbsup:
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
He has has a few frames with extra carbon wrap on the rear ends but is going back to stock frames...since he's a wieght freak and has had no frame issues all year even with the stock wrap.
Thanks for the excellent reply :thumbsup:

Those 2 bold part is where I like best, now we know Mr. BL is a WW in disguise and that his Mojo had no problem all year and considering how he use his bike, I guess its safe to say the Mojo is capable of handling abuse!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.