Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what adjustments to make to suspension to help keep momentum in rock gardens. I can feel the bike slowing down in the quick hit chatter. I have a Trek Slash with a DPX2 shock and a Lyrik RC2. I was following a friend of similar speed on his Yeti SB130. When the trail got to rough, chunky, rocky sections, I could see him pulling away just a little bit, at the same time I could also feel my bike slowing down. I can feel the momentum bleeding away. These are no pedal sections downhill. I can't tell if my suspension is packing down, or not going into the travel enough. I know some of this may also be due to rear suspension design.

Thanks for any info on where to start.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Bike/rider weight differences? Tire size/pressure? Bike geometry? Hub resistance? Slight brake drag?

A lot of other factors to consider.

·
Registered
225 Posts
In addition to the above, how about considering technique? How active are you keeping your body/bike through the hits compared to your friend?

·
Underskilled
4,513 Posts
Or just send your dampers to Dougal.
That's what got mine working.
Acceleration on terrain that would slow a normal bike.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not believe it is technique or line selection. I am very active on the bike and only loose time in this one scenario. I've also asked this same friend if he's felt the slowing down sensation in the rough. He said he felt it all the time on his 19 Stump Jumper, but that the Yeti feels like its floating over it. I don't recall loosing time to him on his Stumpy. I know I can't duplicate his suspension on the Yeti, I'm trying to figure out if suspension adjustments can help, and where to start.

·
i'm schralping yer thread
1,179 Posts
Maybe try taking off a couple clicks of rebound dampening. Sounds like your suspension could be bogging down because the rebound is too slow.

You may need to fiddle with the high-speed compression circuit as well, depending on how much adjustment you make to rebound.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
How long have you owned the bike & did you set you initial suspension settings? Most tuners will baseline their suspension. Spring rate is normally the first adjustment followed by damper fine tuning. I find a slightly softer suspension glides over obstacle rather than getting hung up (think hardtail).

I wouldn't really equate suspension setting to momentum for "small trail chatter". I would lean towards tire selection & pressures and as mentioned rider technique.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had the bike for three years. I did recently put on the DPX2, late in the fall. I don't remember having as much of an issue with the two other shocks I've run in the past; the stock Thru-Shaft and a Super Deluxe I have for it. That is why I was thinking it may be a shock tuning issue. Might be time to try out the other shocks on the same section of trail and see how the feel. The stock Thru-Shaft would fade on long descents and I've had problems with it loosing dampening (needing rebuild). The Super Deluxe I have is great for descending, but wallows a lot when pedaling up the hill and the lock out is too firm. The DPX2 has been the best all around shock I've tried so far.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
It could be anything really, the best option would be to ride one of these sections over and over while making 1 adjustment between each run and taking notes

A total guess would be things are too soft - try a little more pressure (20psi) or even a larger volume spacer in the rear

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Suspension kinematics can play factor in what you're experiencing. Bikes with more rearward axle paths will carry speed better in the conditions you describe. It was very noticeable for me when switching between a couple of my bikes.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I ride with this same guy about 60% of my miles. It was the first time I've felt really good on the bike and he still pulled away. We would both agree I'm usually faster descending. I've heard bikes called hover-bikes, but I've yet to really ride one (Yeti Switch Infinity, Ripmo).

·
Registered
9,704 Posts
DPX2 is a weird shock. It runs the same tuning scheme as Fox's other CTD shocks (wallow, harsh, really harsh).
Best outcome for you will be a Vorsprung Tractive tune on your Super Deluxe.

What is your mate riding on his SB130?

·
Registered
514 Posts
The 2021 DPX2 has a new base valve design. Does your criticism of the shock include the latest iteration?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Probably just down to suspension design and the types of rocks. Trek's suspension design gets hung up on square edged hits pretty bad, I heard Yeti's are the best at getting over square edge hits.

It feels like when a rock hits the wheel at a certain angle the pivot gets stuck and yanks on the bike rather than activating the suspension so the wheel can move up and over. Trek is the worst out of the bikes Ive ridden when it comes to that, the smoothest ones Ive ridden have all had an extra link at the cranks (like DW Link/VPP).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
DPX2 is a weird shock. It runs the same tuning scheme as Fox's other CTD shocks (wallow, harsh, really harsh).
Best outcome for you will be a Vorsprung Tractive tune on your Super Deluxe.

What is your mate riding on his SB130?
Funny enough, DPX2 Performance.

I've had my Super Deluxe tuned by Diaz Suspension Design. Its a soft tune, with the idea that you use air pressure for support rather than dampening. Its feels pretty good going down hill, but I'm constantly reaching (or forgetting to open/close) for the lockout. Its too squishy climbing in open, and the lockout is too firm.

I'm going to run the stock shock for a couple weeks to see if the issue is as noticeable. Maybe its just the design of the suspension.

·
Registered
9,704 Posts
Funny enough, DPX2 Performance.

I've had my Super Deluxe tuned by Diaz Suspension Design. Its a soft tune, with the idea that you use air pressure for support rather than dampening. Its feels pretty good going down hill, but I'm constantly reaching (or forgetting to open/close) for the lockout. Its too squishy climbing in open, and the lockout is too firm.

I'm going to run the stock shock for a couple weeks to see if the issue is as noticeable. Maybe its just the design of the suspension.
Run the tune-codes on the two DPX2's through the fox website and see what it tells you: Bike Help Center | FOX

The Super Deluxe needs the Vorsprung base-valve mods to behave. That's the core of the Tractive tune. The rest is matching damping rates. Which is just as important but impossible to do well without the base-valve mods.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts