Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently run a Hutchinson Python with Stan's on both front and rear on Mavic 717's (non UST). I only ride in dry conditions but lately it has been a little too dry and the trails I ride (tight technical single track) has gotten pretty 'slippery'....not sandy, but more like loose soil/dirt. What would be a good recommendation for a front tire that is light and will get a lot of bite going around tight corners fast in loose soil? I hate nothing more than when that front wheels slips out and I think for sure I am going down....looking for a light, 2.0 tire that that is good with Stan's....will take better traction over lighter weight though. Is this sticky compound I have been reading about any good?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
  • Hutchinson Spider 2.1
  • Kenda Blue Groove 2.10 DTC
  • Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25
  • Nokian NBX Lite 2.2
All are about the same size as the Python.

If you are not using the New Python you might try it. It has taller more aggressive edge knobs.

No claims on DIY tubeless. I do not recommend it for any standard tire/rim.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Over here we have Pea-Gravel which is basically like riding on little marbles. A lot of us use a Scorpion (f) and Python (r) combination in the summer when it is dry and therefore much looser. When it becomes more compact, we run Pythons front and rear.

If the Scorpion's are too heavy for you, then a few people use the Maxxis Larsen on the front (in the 2.0 size). Reports are that it rolls a little faster that the Scorpion, but doesn't have as much bite in the corners.

HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.