Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna cry...

I purchased a new wheelset from Speedgoat a few weeks ago - Mavic 717 rims on Chris King hubs. I saved up a lot of riding credits over the years (and the cash) to deserve these wheels. The build is perfect, I could not expect any better. But the rear rim is making an annoying noise.

To make a long story short, I found a chunk of metal inside the rim by the weld. I can see it slide back and forth as I gently spin the wheel in my hands (looking through nipple access hole inside the rim with tire and rim tape removed).

Q: What should I do?

I found an old thread where a few other folks had a similar complaint. Looks like their LBS put glue in the rim to hold the metal piece in place. Should I do this? If so, what kind of glue is best? Should I complain to Speedgoat (even though it is absolutely not their fault). I hate to ship the wheel back to Speedgoat if all they're gonna do is put glue in it - I can do that much.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=58736&highlight=mavic+rim+noise

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Phil

·
recovering racer
172 Posts
Mavic pre-welding metal piece

Mavic uses a small piece of metal in the rim cavity at the rim joint prior to welding the seam. The metal piece is center punched in place - you can see the punch marks if you remove the rim tape and inspect at the seam.

It's fairly common for this piece to become lose and rattle in the rim, particularly at slow speeds. There's no structural issues with the rim, but the sound is very annoying.

As others have suggested you can squirt glue or silicone in the spoke hole to stop the movement of the metal piece. I just center punched the rim where the metal piece was to hold it back in place - it's been staying put.

·
Slow and steady
503 Posts
Be glad you don't have XM819 or EX823 rims! My EX823 rims came with 3 or 4 pieces of metal in them from the FORE (nipple cup) holes. Took me hours of screwing around with foreceps and shaking the rim just like so to get those little ****ers out of there.

Really annoying.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Phil said:
Q: What should I do?

Phil
If you can see the piece from the valve hole but not fish it out, you can try a product called "ProBond" from a hardware store. It's an expanding foam adhesive that weighs close to nothing. Mix with some water and put a dab or two inside the valve hole (but towards the rim cavity). Let sit for a minute or three until it expands, spin the wheel slowly to get the metal piece in the foam and then let it dry overnight (drying time varies based on humidity). You may have to file away any excess foam around the valvle hole. I've had to do this on a frame I fillet brazed (a piece of flux flaked off inside the down tube).

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your comments.

I have this problem when it comes to intermittent noises on my bike - it makes me crazy and ruins my ride. I did some poking around and am convinced that this is a relatively common problem that does not affect the integrity of the rim.

I'll follow the tips recommended. Hopefully my rim will quiet down so I can concentrate on more important stuff.

Thanks,

Phil

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Tony said:
Be glad you don't have XM819 or EX823 rims! My EX823 rims came with 3 or 4 pieces of metal in them from the FORE (nipple cup) holes. Took me hours of screwing around with foreceps and shaking the rim just like so to get those little ****ers out of there.

Really annoying.
It is possible to remove the littel bits floating around the rim, but find a small extractor tool and get it out that way. Shaking and foreceps takes quite a while (been there done that.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.