Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
They come loose at first as they break in. Well documented, it is in the manual (http://www.chrisking.com/pdfs/discgotech.pdf). Very easy to adjust. Once they are settled in, you shouldn't have to touch them. However, if it is noticable loose, you would be advised to stop and tighten before continuing to ride on them. Riding on a loose hub / cranks / headset / whatever is a great way to damage the component beyond repair.

Not solid? No, they are solid. Very solid. However, like any high end component, they do require some maintenance. Reading the manual is a good idea.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
You don't need to take them to the LBS!

fantom1 said:
After about 18 hours of riding the rear wheel on my brand new wheelset needed to be taken into my LBS and adjusted because the hub was loose. I figured fine, its new and needed to be broken in, that should be the end of it aside from regular maintence every year or so....but after riding it this moring it is loose again. The front is a teeny tiny bit loose, and I'll probably have to take that one in to get adjusted as well. Are King hubs just not solid or what? This really has me urked.

I really don't know what to do. My old super cheap Shimano hubs were tight after 2 years of use.
I have the same hub and yes, mine came loose a couple times in the first month of use. This is a fact with King hubs that they have to be tightened a couple of times during the break-in period. I was easily able to tighten them myself at home in less than 5 minutes with two 5mm allen wrenches, and I am NOT a mechanic. Mine now stays tight after every ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.