Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Florida Rider
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally finished building my bike and My new headset is giving me problems :rolleyes:

When I lift the front end I can feel the fork/steer tube move and clunk into a different position. The same thing happened on my bros bike and we took it to the LBS to get it fixed...I want to save myself the trip...do you have any idea how to get rid of the movement? I already tried tightening the bolt on top of the steer tube but it didnt help:madman:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
OK.
1. LOOSEN ALL BOLTS, stem, top cap, for triple clamp forks all upper and lower crown bolts.
2. Lift front of bike and let drop on gound a few times.
3. Sit on top tube and tighten up the top cap bolt.
4. Make it snug not tight.
5. Then tighten all the other bolts

·
...for I am a raindog too
267 Posts
just another suggestion-

Is the bearing race at the bottom (the one right above the fork crown) set tight? that might be where tyou are getting play from?.....

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Make sure the crown race is set right, make sure the bearing cages are oriented in the correct direction. There should be 3mm of clearance between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem for proper bearing preload. DO NOT wrench down on the compression bolt. The compression cap can break, and if you have loose ball bearings, it will not roll smoothly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.