Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the loose fitting tire on my velocity dyad make it easier to get flats? It's also a bit scary pumping them up since they like to blow off the rim when inflating.

I've had more flats since switching to 29er(2 weeks of riding thus far) than I did all last year on my 26" bike that was stan's for awhile then tubes at the end of the year.

At first I was using 29er tubes but both flatted out the first two days in Pisgah. After that I started using SPecialized turbo 26" tubes which seem to work fine besides one blowing out a few minutes in to a ride. Two others just went flat with slow leaks over night from I don't know what....really rocky terrain going extremely fast.

I'm being forced to run way higher pressure than seems to be necessary to keep from getting flats.

Should I switch to a new rim? I'm quickly losing my trust in the dyad and need to iron this out before some very long epic ride/races start happening in about a month.

G

·
Spookykinkajou said:
Should I switch to a new rim? I'm quickly losing my trust in the dyad and need to iron this out before some very long epic ride/races start happening in about a month.
Hey Sean:

I've been using the Alex TD-17's "anti-snakebite" rims for over a year now on two different sets of wheels. They are a little heavier, but they rock, not a single flat even when nailing roots at low pressures. And they are cheap ($25), are disc specific, and are black.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Spooky, just build up some serious amount of rimtape. Multiple wraps of thick fabric tape, or first thick tape and then a Velox strip. The fit will be tighter, blowoffs should be reduced to zero.

Are you using undersized tubes? Undersize, stretched tubes are as easy to puncture as a balloon at full inflation. A semi-inflated ballon can probably still rest it's weight on a needle, a full inflated on must less so.
Some Turbo tubes are pretty thin un-inflated, so before they're at 29x2.2", they're much like that balloon, thin walls at high tension.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cloxxki said:
Spooky, just build up some serious amount of rimtape. Multiple wraps of thick fabric tape, or first thick tape and then a Velox strip. The fit will be tighter, blowoffs should be reduced to zero.

Are you using undersized tubes? Undersize, stretched tubes are as easy to puncture as a balloon at full inflation. A semi-inflated ballon can probably still rest it's weight on a needle, a full inflated on must less so.
Some Turbo tubes are pretty thin un-inflated, so before they're at 29x2.2", they're much like that balloon, thin walls at high tension.
I have some old 26" stan's rim strips. Should I try putting those in minus the valve so a tube still works?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
If the stans strips are still good, a bit of a waste, make a babywheeler happy with them, or save them for a narrow road rim experiment.
Also, the strip might compromise the tire's fit to the rim hook.

I think butyl is not the ideal material to build up the diameter of the spokebead. Really, 19mm wide cloth tape is superb for this, stronger, thicker and less stretchy than electrical tape. Make sure it's wide enough to cover the spokebead or whatever the rim floor is called.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Cloxxki said:

Building up the rim tape makes the tire harder to mount but doesn't effect the bead seat. The diameters of the bead hook and the tire bead will remain the same.

When you say "blow out" do you mean the tire unseats from the rim and you hear an audible bang? If so, get different rims. If you're talking about regular pinch flats, Cloxxi is right - you should go back to a 29er tube. Also, I've had better luck with a Motoraptor than a Klaw or ACX in back. I think the densely spaced knobs cushion the blow when the rim bottoms. It rolls okay too.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slim_pickens said:
Building up the rim tape makes the tire harder to mount but doesn't effect the bead seat. The diameters of the bead hook and the tire bead will remain the same.

When you say "blow out" do you mean the tire unseats from the rim and you hear an audible bang? If so, get different rims. If you're talking about regular pinch flats, Cloxxi is right - you should go back to a 29er tube. Also, I've had better luck with a Motoraptor than a Klaw or ACX in back. I think the densely spaced knobs cushion the blow when the rim bottoms. It rolls okay too.
The rear gave the audible bang and my tube was shredded - it even looked like a gun shot since the turbo tube is chalked. One time when pumping it's given the audible bang with the tire coming off the bead. Looks like I should look in to new rims...

I can EASILY take the tire on and off with my hands.

i've been running the ignitor in the back with an exiwolf up front but now that I put a Reba on up front i'm going to try ignitor f/r.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Spookykinkajou said:
The rear gave the audible bang and my tube was shredded - it even looked like a gun shot since the turbo tube is chalked. One time when pumping it's given the audible bang with the tire coming off the bead. Looks like I should look in to new rims...

I can EASILY take the tire on and off with my hands.
That sucks. The pumping blow out might have been the tube pinched in the tire bead, but the other one doesn't sound like it. You probably need new rims.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.