Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in New Mexico and I have a loose dirt problem.
The deal is my ground is somewhat sandy, but also pretty silty. It seems pretty hard, but after it bakes in the sun, you can sweep about a half inch off the top.
I can't keep dumping water on the trail, I'll empty my well.
Is there something that I could "add" to the dirt that will help it firm up?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Clay. Actually, my jumps are all topsoil and I am struggling with this same issue. I guess kitty litter works well, thats what I plan to try next since a supply of clay isn't readily available. Best of luck, if you find something else let me know.

·
Registered
54 Posts
TheSamurai said:
actually, the kitty litter is a good one and should work... but you need a specific type. it's often the cheapest stuff and usually the store brand.
Can you be any more specific? Does it say something on the bag that will let you know cuz I'd hate to dump a ton of money on the stuff and then find its not right, ya know?

·
Registered
335 Posts
t1maglio said:
... I'd hate to dump a ton of money on the stuff and then find its not right, ya know?
So just buy a couple of bags of the cheap store branded stuff from your local grocery and try it out before you "dump a ton of money" and buy the store out.

Most cat litter is pretty much the same stuff. The cheap stuff is usually has larger..pebbles..or whatever they are. Kinda hard to go wrong. The type you want would be the "clumping" type. It should say something like that on the bag.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm no expert but mix it with soil, wet it, pack it and the litter helps solidify the earth/soil. All the dirt where I live is red clay so there isn't any need to use additives. The only issue is there are fences everywhere and it's hard to find a place to build.

If you've ever had to take care of a house cat/litter box it all clumps to some degree. Just buy some of the litter on the cheap of different kinds and see what works best for you.

·
ride like you stole it
680 Posts
I've never tried it on dirt jumps but when my families driveway gets dusty (1/2 mile long and dirt) we through some concrete mix down and water it a little, cuts the dust right out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
t1maglio said:
Can you be any more specific? Does it say something on the bag that will let you know cuz I'd hate to dump a ton of money on the stuff and then find its not right, ya know?
i don't remember the specific brand. it is actually clay based. i was looking at it for something else not related for dirt jumps. sorry i can't be or more help.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I got lucky with some rain.

I'll try the kitty litter as I do maintenance. Nice thought.

I'm thinking of some carpet remnants for takeoffs and landings in some key areas. But the Berms are my big concern. I'm still learning how to carry speed through the berms and when the bike slides around on the loose dirt it's hard to get that confidence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.