Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a ride today I felt play in the left crank arm. Looked down and saw movement while pedaling. The BB cup was loose so I tried to hand tighten it but there was no bite no matter how many times I tried to turn it. Then I thought it might be the BB bolt. I took it to two bike shops and the verdict was the same: the threads on the BB cup was completely stripped bald on the cup and the frame. [email protected]#

The tech at the second shop showed me what was going on and said to stay off the bike as it was unsafe to ride.

The bike was purchased in May 2019 and was my first MTB (Orbea MX10, no longer in production). Even if it did fall under warranty, I'm more likely to get the bike I have on order (Fezzari Delano Peak) before a warranty is resolved because it's not a parts issue it's a frame issue now.

I'm completely gutted. What should I do? Warranty? Wall Art?

·
Registered
3 Posts
During a ride today I felt play in the left crank arm. Looked down and saw movement while pedaling. The BB cup was loose so I tried to hand tighten it but there was no bite no matter how many times I tried to turn it. Then I thought it might be the BB bolt. I took it to two bike shops and the verdict was the same: the threads on the BB cup was completely stripped bald on the cup and the frame. [email protected]#

The tech at the second shop showed me what was going on and said to stay off the bike as it was unsafe to ride.

The bike was purchased in May 2019 and was my first MTB (Orbea MX10, no longer in production). Even if it did fall under warranty, I'm more likely to get the bike I have on order (Fezzari Delano Peak) before a warranty is resolved because it's not a parts issue it's a frame issue now.

I'm completely gutted. What should I do? Warranty? Wall Art?
Sorry to hear for your bike woes. If you are the original owner, contact the shop where you purchased the bike and have them process a warranty claim with Orbea.

My recent warranty claim with Orbea took ~3weeks start to finish. You should get an answer pretty quickly. At the end of the day there’s no harm in trying, right?

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The parts might be worth selling if you can't warranty the frame. Another option is to find a frame that most of all of the parts fit on. Depending on what the frame is made of .there is a small chance of it being repairable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The parts might be worth selling if you can't warranty the frame. Another option is to find a frame that most of all of the parts fit on. Depending on what the frame is made of .there is a small chance of it being repairable.
It's an aluminum frame, and the bike techs I talked gave the impression that it wasn't repairable and that going the warranty route was the best option.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Years ago I believe Mavic used to make a BB specifically for stripped out shells (road), and given there are threaded conversion BB's for press fit... I would think there's something currently made to salvage your frame assuming the shell isn't totally butchered.

Perhaps there's the chance the threads in the shell are filled with the cup material and can be chased out?

Hopefully you can get a warranty replacement though.

·
Magically Delicious
9,197 Posts
As a curiosity, have you or a bike shop performed any service or maintenance on the bottom bracket since you purchased it? What's the history there?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts