Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
mojo mofo
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be old news, but ... If you have Stan's V355 rims from late last year, you might get a loose change, click clack or vibration sound when you either spin your wheel slowly or go over really bumpy trails. So kinda often on mountain bikes.

One LBS told me that it sounds like a loose spoke nipple possibly left inside by the wheel builder or possibly something around the weld, and the other said, you're on your own. Nice. In their defense, the sound mostly goes away when the tire is off, which makes it frustrating to diagnose. I took the tape off and kept shaking the thing in various ways to get it to make the sound again, just before I threw it off of my balcony, it came back.

A post on a message board from the NoTubes site ...

http://messageboard.notubes.com/viewtopic.php?t=455&highlight=355

... says that a small, non structural, welding heat shield sleeve sometimes comes loose and vibrates around. For me, sometimes meant after about 400km the rear went and after I fixed it the front went on the very next ride.

To fix it, I took off the tire, tube (it can be used either way) and tape and found that sure enough if you tap the rim around the weld it will buzz. I injected a small amount of silicone towards the weld from the spoke holes on either side of the weld. It seems to have worked.

Just want to save anyone a possible warranty headache or worse LBS costs and frustration.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
talkshow-host said:
A post on a message board from the NoTubes site ...

http://messageboard.notubes.com/viewtopic.php?t=455&highlight=355

... says that a small, non structural, welding heat shield sleeve sometimes comes loose and vibrates around. For me, sometimes meant after about 400km the rear went and after I fixed it the front went on the very next ride.

To fix it, I took off the tire, tube (it can be used either way) and tape and found that sure enough if you tap the rim around the weld it will buzz. I injected a small amount of silicone towards the weld from the spoke holes on either side of the weld. It seems to have worked.
I had a similar problem with a Mavic Crossland wheel. I used some epoxy injected from a nearby spoke hole to keep the sleeve from sliding back and forth.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.