Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some 8 splined bmx cranks and they come loose a lot. When I unscrew the pinchbolt and crankbolt i can pull the arms right off. Is there a certain way I should be tightening it like crankbolt then pinchbolt or the other way around? Any tips? Thanks

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Jeez those are pretty loose!!! Hm, I'd try a bit of locktite, not the red kind. OR, it might just mean that your cranks have gotten a lot looser and are no longer fitting well on the bb. Do they feel loose while riding or when you have the bolts all tightened up?

I'd tighten the crankbolt then the pinchbolt that way it's on the spindle as much as possible and then tightened shut.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They feel tight when I'm riding but one time they got pretty loose and started creaking but thats the only time I've noticed while I was riding. Usually I just feel that the bolts are loose when I check it out.

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
I put a bit of blue loctite on the pinch bolt threads as well as the crank bolt threads. Make sure all of the bolt are clean befor doing this. The I just tighten the crap out of the pinch bolts once the cranks are adjusted. I have 3pc cranks like you have, on 2 of my bikes and once the all of the bolts are loose, I can pull them clean off wwith my hands. not tools. I have yet to have a problem with it. Been on the same set of cranks for 4 years now and they are still workin fine. Just gotta replace the BB every once in a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.