Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to notice a little play in my front end as I finished up my ride yesterday.

I had this happen months ago, and initially thought it was a either a fork or headset issue, but it turned out to be the hub. One of the mechanics at the shop just squeezed the hub together by hand, and it "fixed" it. The hub remained tight for about 6 months following that treatment.

Anyone else experienced this, and what can I do?

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
My front hub started to develop a little side-to-side play at one point - I had the shop replace the bearings and that was that. They are standard (believe it or not!), not hard for the shop to come by even if they don't get them directly from Spesh. It was done under warranty.

Obviously you should first make sure that the axle is nice and tight and that the fork clamps (crown and lowers) are all properly torqued and all that...

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it turns out I'm just really dumb, and it was indeed the axle. I didn't think there was anyway that it could be since the pinch bolts were still tight when I took the wheel off, but sure enough...I put the wheel back on and torqued everythingdown. Problem solved and lesson learned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.