Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Is there a trail starting Lyons Lake to Strawberry & back? Do I need to cross the Lyon's lake damn? I'd like a good combo of clibing, fire road & singletrack.

·
Registered
634 Posts
yes, there is a trail. I used to take it out my back door in Strawberry when i worked for the USFS. That was over 10 years ago though. I don't remember much singletrack but, there may be more than one route option. Hopefully, someone with more information (and a bit more recent) will chime in.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,162 Posts
Yes... sortof

It's mostly forest roads and RR grade.

This map might help you out on the Strawberry end of things. I also have a google earth map of a bunch of the trails in that area. You can also download the kml directly. Unfortunately neither the kml nor the Strawberry map are really complete in that area. I've done most of my exploring in that area using the maps from the forest service. There isn't much singletrack near there at what is there is quite rugged. There are some other areas very close to there with some amazing singletrack.

I'm trying to put together a route from Strawberry to Dardenelle and back... it will be a brutal route with some killer climbs and technical downhills.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ogre - thanks. I'm not stuck to Lyon/Pinball but anything not too far from MiWuk. You did connect me with Corey lasr yr and he gave me the Eagle & PCP voyage which was fantastic. Let me know when you guy go again and I'd like to join you. (I know Dan Levy at BTCEB well too)
Do you have a specif route which I can take to be sure I get to PinBall from the Lyons damn?

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,162 Posts
Speedster said:
Ogre - thanks. I'm not stuck to Lyon/Pinball but anything not too far from MiWuk. You did connect me with Corey lasr yr and he gave me the Eagle & PCP voyage which was fantastic. Let me know when you guy go again and I'd like to join you. (I know Dan Levy at BTCEB well too)
Do you have a specif route which I can take to be sure I get to PinBall from the Lyons damn?
well your best bet is the Google Maps link I posted above. Zoom in on the Lyon's lake section and switch to the topo view. Basically you cross the dam and go North East on either Forest roads or you hack your way through some old singletrack near the lake, we generally take an old RR Grade which zigzags across the contours. On my map the eastward leg is in pink. You get to 4N02 then head straight up the hill. When you get to the saddle there a singletrack that crosses the forest road. Pinball is the section on the left. On the map that's where the pink merges with a light blue line. The first section is hike-a-bike, there are a good number of other hike-a-bike sections as well.

Pinball is brutal and rocky... not for the faint of heart. When you are on Pinball stay on the ridge as long as possible and when you drop out you'll go straight ahead/ left and either take trail 19 on the right (it was blocked last time I went by) or just stay on the forest road back to the dam.

These directions are awful and it's much more confusing than it sounds. Get a forest service map and bring plenty of water since it gets hot.

But Pinecrest and The Ridge trail are only 20 minutes up the road and ooo so much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.