Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I used to have an 04 NRS, loved the bike to death. Got out of riding for awhile and sure enough, my first ride back into it I have the time of my life thinking damn why dont I do this more often. Then... the beloved NRS was stolen. Damnit.

So as a christmas gift I decided to get a bike. I found an XTC 1, not sure on the year, but its blue with a composite rear triangle, XTR and XT componets and a Skareb fork. They are asking 1500. For that price the same bike store has a Trance 4 at 800 and an Anthem 3 at 1300. Im not sure if I want full suspension though. I live in arizona and ride mostly smooth, flowing, single track with sand and occasional small drops. The NRS I loved but thinking about it im not sure the extra weight of the rear suspension was worth the added comfort. I will also be moving somewhere where the bike may also be used for transport so having a bike that looks more low key (without disc brakes or rear shock, until they get up close and see the CF rear) may prove beneficial to not getting it stolen again.

The way I see it, the money not being spent on the rear suspension is going towards the composite rear triangle (anyone with one of these, does this really add anything to the comfort of the bike?) and the nice XTR and XT componets.

Skareb super fork with SPV, XTR rear derailleur XT front, deore XT hubs and hollowtech II creanks

Says the bike was originally 2000 now for sale for 1500. Hoping to be able to talk them down a little more since they seem eager to get rid of it. Are those componets worth it? I would have liked disc brakes but realizing I live in the desert, they arent necessary 99% of my rides and I can upgrade those once I move to where it snows. I was also rather hoping to have a fox fork, as I like riding those, but how does the Skareb super stack up?

·
kneecap
1,643 Posts
To each his own I guess. I'd be looking at the new trance X line, 5" of suspension at each end; disk brakes; & a great peddling platform. Probably pick one of the lower tiers for what you're spending for this XTC, with warrenty to boot!
Just an opinion......

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Picked up the bike today, talked them down another few hundred and it ends up this bike is brand new, never been owned or ridden (except test rides) and comes with Giant's new bike warranty as well as the componets still being under warranty (as most warranties start at date of purchase).

Im gonna go out for a ride later, but this bike is extremely light at 24 lbs and was simply amazing to ride around town cant wait to see its trail performance!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
en are es said:
Picked up the bike today, talked them down another few hundred and it ends up this bike is brand new, never been owned or ridden (except test rides) and comes with Giant's new bike warranty as well as the componets still being under warranty (as most warranties start at date of purchase).

Im gonna go out for a ride later, but this bike is extremely light at 24 lbs and was simply amazing to ride around town cant wait to see its trail performance!
That's too bad...Just saw your post now. I could've set you up with my NRS Composite FS for around the same price you paid for this.

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too heavy! Plus you probably arent located anywhere near me... im in az

I just got back from my first ride though and (boy am i out of shape) it was a blast. Had too much pressure in the tires making the ride a little bumpy but hell, the fork and componets are miles ahead of my NRS's SRAM X9 and Pilot fork. Cant wait to get back out, I may even try for another ride today maybe just around town. Its good to be back into biking

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
en are es said:
Too heavy! Plus you probably arent located anywhere near me... im in az

I just got back from my first ride though and (boy am i out of shape) it was a blast. Had too much pressure in the tires making the ride a little bumpy but hell, the fork and componets are miles ahead of my NRS's SRAM X9 and Pilot fork. Cant wait to get back out, I may even try for another ride today maybe just around town. Its good to be back into biking
Too heavy? Well, I would argue the benefits of the FS versus the HT would outweigh the weight differential of two pounds. However, that's a whole other debate that's not worth getting into. And I am in Canada, but that wouldn't matter.

Anyhow, enjoy your new ride and getting into shape!

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Actually it was written on the manual "Under 24lbs w/ pedals" so im gonna have to weigh it and see what she really weighs. Heres a few photos of her on the trails:

that hill just about killed me... hahah someday soon ill be rocketing up that hill just like the days when i went out everyday (or so ive been telling myself)

ill definitely get better pictures once im able to sit and take a break just to take photos and not have to catch my breath for a few minutes. beautiful bike, I love the color and that rear triangle (ive always wanted a CF bike)

And yes a composite NRS probably would have been well worth the 2 lb difference but I already bought this bike, and unless that NRS has as nice a fork and XTR/XT componets I doubt I would go for it. This bike is spec'd very well, and though I could have gotten a Trance or an Anthem for less than this bike, I decided to go hardtail to be more 'in tune' with the trail and cause im pretty light and never really felt my rear shock doing much except for big bumps where I was out of the saddle anyways! I know there will be times I will miss FS, but on the singletrack we have out here, simply letting out a few psi is more than enough to make the ride compliant. Thanks everyone for your good words, I look forward to passing you on the trails

Cheers

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it really an 04?

That means I went from a bike that was originally an XTC, developed into an XTC NRS, then split into an XTC and an NRS, of which Ive owned both now for 04. Damn I smell a bit too strongly of brand loyalty right now...

·
MBAA!
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I thought after a few rides that it had a 7 speed cassette, but I think im just feeling a 2 tooth differentiation from my old cassette. I would sort of like a lower tooth count for the higher gears on my cassete (speeds 8, 9 particuraly) will this be ok with the derailleur?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.