Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 1997 Rockhopper Comp FS that I am bringing back to life so I can start riding again after a many year hiatus. As I am replacing parts I am trying to upgrade. My fork is a Rock Shox Indy XC. I was really light when I bought the bike but now I weigh 190-195 lbs. It seems like I can't get the shock stiff enough.

The bike is steel. I ride cross-country and love single tracks. I really could use some help picking out a new fork. I would like to keep the cost around $200, but I have no idea what is good and what is bad and what will work for me!

I like to ride fast. I would really like a stiff strong fork with 85 mm of travel or less. I really don't want to go to a rigid fork but I have been considering it. I really like having some suspension, but what I have on the bike now is like a Cadillac suspension and I want the Corvette suspesion instead.

Thanks for the help!

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
A few Q's about your situation

backinit said:
I really like having some suspension, but what I have on the bike now is like a Cadillac suspension and I want the Corvette suspesion instead.

Thanks for the help!
Correction - what you have on the bike now is a flexy, scary POS - like a Yugo suspension. RockShox Indy forks were terrible forks, even in their day. I had a 1997 Indy SL on my Trek hardtail and I bent it - and I was a svelte 130 lbs back then!!

ANYTHING on the market today will be a significant upgrade. The issue you might run into is the head tube size on your old Specialized. It is 1", or 1 1/8"??

If 1", your options will be extremely limited and you might look at upgrading the entire bike...

If 1 1/8", there are LOTS of options for you for an 80mm fork. If you want a new fork, check the other posts about the Manitou Skareb forks that have been on sale at Jenson and other on-line e-tailers (all around $200). The Skareb is a reasonably light and strong fork. With 28mm stanchions, it won't be the stiffest, but that is what you give up when you get a lightweight fork.

If money is an option, consider a used fork. With proper care and maintenance, a used fork can still deliver years of trouble-free fun. Look for the following on MTBR classifieds or eBay: Marzocchi Marathon S (2002), Manitou Mars (2001-2002), Manitou Skareb (2003-2004), Fox F80 (2003+), RockShox Duke Race (2002-2004?), and the Noleen Mega Air (2001-2002?). Stay away from the SID (scary light but WAY too damm flexy). The others are all great XC forks.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doug,

Thanks for the response! I am pretty sure it is a 1 1/8" head tube. I'm not sure since the bike is in the shop getting tuned up so I can't measure it at the moment. I think I will look into the Skareb.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't Go Rigid!

backinit said:
Hey everyone,

I have a 1997 Rockhopper Comp FS that I am bringing back to life so I can start riding again after a many year hiatus. As I am replacing parts I am trying to upgrade. My fork is a Rock Shox Indy XC. I was really light when I bought the bike but now I weigh 190-195 lbs. It seems like I can't get the shock stiff enough.

The bike is steel. I ride cross-country and love single tracks. I really could use some help picking out a new fork. I would like to keep the cost around $200, but I have no idea what is good and what is bad and what will work for me!

I like to ride fast. I would really like a stiff strong fork with 85 mm of travel or less. I really don't want to go to a rigid fork but I have been considering it. I really like having some suspension, but what I have on the bike now is like a Cadillac suspension and I want the Corvette suspesion instead.

Thanks for the help!
Definitely don't go rigid! I personally run a black platinum and love it. However, that is out of your $200 price range. I think you could probly find a manitou skareb for around that price. A Skareb would be really nice for the kind of riding you say you do. I would look at jensonusa.com. They just started listing the 05's so the 03' and 04's have taken a huge price cut. Don't be tricked into thinking that newer is always better. An 03 or 04 Skareb would really please you, and save you some money at the same time. Happy Trails!
Mikey42186

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.