Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
novice class?

http://www.tbfracing.com/events/mtbkickstart.html

This would be my first MTB race, though I've been riding for more than 15 years. I'm more of a runner (marathons and such) but I've whipped myself into pretty good shape and I'd like to give a XC race or two a shot. What do you guys think?

Oh, I have two bikes - an AM rig (Heckler) and a hardtail which is what I'd do this race on (Airborne Lucky Strike with Reba @ 80mm). The hardtail should be the one for this race, eh?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm gonna race that as my first xc race. I road the trails there yesterday, to see what the park was like. the trails were very very smooth, hardpack with a little sand over the top. there are a couple of sand traps though. I road around for 3hrs and could not find a climb to speak of. Race the hard tail for sure, the most technical part I found was the 3" drop from the parking lot to the trail. this should be a very fast race and the 7mi distance for novice should go quickly.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No climbs and no tech stuff at all?! I'm not a huge fan of drops and stunts but I do like at least a few climbs and some roots and rocks. I hope I like racing because $40, motel and couple hour drive is sounding like a lot for a 7 mile ride.

·
Registered
271 Posts
$40 for 7 miles is just what a beginner race is. With no climbs the lap will probably be in the neighborhood of 35 minutes or so. You have to remember though that 7 miles of riding is different than 7 miles of racing. If you want a more technical race, wait for one. Why not go pre-ride the course for free? Then you'll know if you want to try it in the race.

·
Registered
29 Posts
campisi said:
No climbs and no tech stuff at all?! I'm not a huge fan of drops and stunts but I do like at least a few climbs and some roots and rocks. I hope I like racing because $40, motel and couple hour drive is sounding like a lot for a 7 mile ride.
Where are you comming from? I may be able to put you up for the night.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I've done the TBF races for years and it is perfect race to " pop your cherry" in racing. real low key very well organized. If you like climbing and technical trails you will will not find it at this race, bit so what, racing is all about trying different courses. Some fit your strengths others don't. I like long long climbs so I never do well at the TBF races,but I still do a couple per year :thumbsup:

·
Registered
624 Posts
TBF races @ Granite Bay

I did my 1st mtb race at TBF/Granite Bay last year. I had a blast and learned a lot. Here's the MotionBased data for the course ...it was a windy, rainy, day: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/5037730.

The course has about 1000 ft of climbing per lap.. It's a hilly, tight, twisty course through the woods along Folsom Lake. There are few short climbs....but the biggest one is only about 200 ft. There are a couple a slightly technical sections but it's mostly pretty smooth. You should be fine with your hardtail. I would suggest you come out and ride the course ahead of time if you have the time.

Course profile from TBF site is here: http://www.tbfracing.com/i/coursemaps/MTB_challenge.pdf

You'll get 2 laps/14 miles for your $40 in Novice if you wait 2 weeks until Feb 8th. A 3 part race series starts then and runs every 2 weeks after that. http://www.tbfracing.com/events/mtbchallenge1.html

Good luck and have fun!:thumbsup: Any of the TBF events are a great way to get your feet wet in racing.:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Race sport. At my first race i was planning on racing beginner but when i realized how short it was i decided to race sport. If youve been riding for 15yrs and are a marathon runner you've probably got some endurance. So a shorter course may not suit you. Just when your getting warmed up the race is over.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you can wait

campisi said:
novice class?

http://www.tbfracing.com/events/mtbkickstart.

This would be my first MTB race, though I've been riding for more than 15 years. I'm more of a runner (marathons and such) but I've whipped myself into pretty good shape and I'd like to give a XC race or two a shot. What do you guys think?

Oh, I have two bikes - an AM rig (Heckler) and a hardtail which is what I'd do this race on (Airborne Lucky Strike with Reba @ 80mm). The hardtail should be the one for this race, eh?
You can also check out the Prairie City Races that start April 1st (yes Wednesday evenings) and go every wed through June.

The Beginner and Sport 35-45 age categories are the largest classes out of the 450-500 racers we get each week.

Low key, different course every week, not much technical, inexpensive, emphasis on FUN.

I think the Rob Kopitzsky will be doing Beginners Clinics just before race starts too.

Check it out, our 14th year!

Check it out here:
http://www.racemtb.com

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the info. And, yep you're right, $40 aint all that much for an organized race and I may ride Sport just to be able to do the 2 looper. My overall fitness level (maybe not bike-wise) is currently very high which is kinda why I wanted to get my feet wet in XC racing just to see what it's all about.
I had planned on pre-riding on Saturday (hence the need for a motel - serottak thanks for the offer I may take you up on it. Depends on if my wife goes or not. I'll pm you if I need a place to stay.)
I don't know how many mid-week races up at Prarie City I can make but I'll think about it. Do the races run on the same trails that dirtbikes ride? I've ridden my dirtbike many times there.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
campisi said:
Wow! Thanks for all the info.
I don't know how many mid-week races up at Prarie City I can make but I'll think about it. Do the races run on the same trails that dirtbikes ride? I've ridden my dirtbike many times there.
Basically we get to use the entire park, less the Hangtown MX track... different course each week so it really varies (a lot more interesting that the same loop each week), but yes we use all the trails out there...

Here is an aerial photo from about 8,000 feet of the area... MANY trails:
https://www.racemtb.com/MiscPhotos/PCRSaerial2C.jpg

CJS

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
serottak said:
campisi did you end up racing this race. I did and ended up finishing first in the novice division.
Way to go! I did not make it out as I had to do some repair work at my wife's business this weekend, I'm bummed. I'll see you out there for the next one!

MTA: How bout a little race report?! Was the one lap good enough? Would you suggest Sport class next race?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.