Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Schwalbe 26x2.5 Muddy Mary triple nano compound DH casing
1245g
Maxxis 26x2.5 minion DHF 3C DH (1/3 worn off as well)
1402g (mind you its closer to the 1480-1500g mark with full tread)
Kenda 26x2.5 Nevegal stickE DH casing
1495g

Differences between listed tires:
SIZE- Kendas and Schwalbe share the bigger profile, maxxis are generally really thin!
Profile- Maxxis has a square profile meaning the tread starts further up the sidewall and is more mohawk shaped, Schwalbes are a square profile like maxxis minions.
Kendas area a round profile, the tread continues down the sidewall further creating a half round shape.

Kenda nevegal= round profile large volume tire
Maxxis= square profile thin volume tire
Schwalbe= square profile large volume tire (this to me and my riding is the best of both worlds, unless its deep mud! :D)

Almost 1lb less per pair than Kenda or Maxxis and thats alot in rolling weight!

NOTE: Maxxis tires have a huge realm of weight discrepancy, I have seen them from 1206 - 1495g same tire different batch. Mine are 1395 80% tread and 1340g 30% tread left. I have no idea why I weighed mine and my scale is calibrated, both my 3c minions came rom same run store same time!

Just a good shot of some schwalbes :thumbsup:

Muddy Mary (Brand new)

Maxxis

Kenda (this is 1 ride only so weight is close to new)

Heres some other offerings!
Big betty UST 26x2.4 burlier than single plys by alot and not as rough as a DH casing, stiffer sidewalls

Muddy Mary FR version (26x2.35) now mind you these are big profile tires as well. They also have snakesin sidewalls making them less prone to gashes than a typical single ply and they reduce pinch flats while being a little stiffer the the Kenda single plys! They are also just a smidge few grams heavier than the kendas but a better sidewall and non slip bead.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
You can save even more weight with a lighter front tire, like Gazza Dual, Intense EX DC, etc, or single-ply Kenda 2.5", only 800g. Depends on how beefy a tire you need, but on the front often a thinner sidewall is ok.

·
Banned
133 Posts
Nevegal FR

Bull Crew -

You can also try our Nevegal "Freeride" version. It's target weight is 1055g +/-60 and it still features the bead insert to prevent pinch flats. In this particular tire, we deleted the CAP-Ply to save a bit of weight. It's a great option for guys who pedal their selds on the shore or for DH riders that can pick good lines.

After through testing, we found them to hold up quite well and a few of our test riders were actually able to run them up at Whistler with standard tubes.

Hope this helps you out!

TCK

·
Banned
133 Posts
2.5 Folding beads

We also have 2.5 folders that get down below some of the weights discussed above:

2.5 Blue Groove - 900 +/- 45g
2.5 Nevegal - 900 +/- 45g
2.35 Excavator - 730 +/- 40g
2.35 El Moco - 740 +/- 40g

Any of these would be suitable to AM use or "Light FR" if you're a smooth rider that picks good lines and can skim rough sections.

Cheers,

TCK

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
850g freeride versions in muddy marys and 960g (26x2.4 big betty 26x2.35 MM) for a thicker folding UST version with a triple nano compound. The UST is thicker than the kendas single plys and not as heavy as a DH casing. A real nice intermediate tire. The weights and builds are good for Schwalbe, I just came off Kendas for 2 years racing etc... They are great tires. I blew 2 DH casings up, ripped the center lugs off and destroyed multiple single plys.

They have AM tires coming in at 470g but you sacrafice puncture resistance and durability as its a Race Only tire. They also have other tires with lighter weights than the DH versions that are all mtn/xc etc that are capable of a dh course as long as you pick a clean line you could race them.
I am more than Happy with Schwalbe, Its a great tire thats been overlooked. It seems a team (MAJOR team) will be on Schwalbe this season (DH, 4x, DS) as well as helping develop for 2010. Schwalbe was sought out in a weird trial and error and amazed certain people. They are also starting to revamp for a North American push, which they have lacked for some time.

Nothing against Kendas I will not say anything bad about them,(they are GREAT tires) you guys are great. Good program for grass roots riders as well.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
the_colorado_kid said:
Bull Crew -

You can also try our Nevegal "Freeride" version. It's target weight is 1055g +/-60 and it still features the bead insert to prevent pinch flats. In this particular tire, we deleted the CAP-Ply to save a bit of weight. It's a great option for guys who pedal their selds on the shore or for DH riders that can pick good lines.

After through testing, we found them to hold up quite well and a few of our test riders were actually able to run them up at Whistler with standard tubes.

Hope this helps you out!

TCK
Also, the Telonix 2.4 Kev w/ Cap Ply @ 1000g +/-52g :thumbsup:

·
Banned
133 Posts
bullcrew said:
850g freeride versions in muddy marys and 960g (26x2.4 big betty 26x2.35 MM) for a thicker folding UST version with a triple nano compound. The UST is thicker than the kendas single plys and not as heavy as a DH casing. A real nice intermediate tire. The weights and builds are good for Schwalbe, I just came off Kendas for 2 years racing etc... They are great tires. I blew 2 DH casings up, ripped the center lugs off and destroyed multiple single plys.

They have AM tires coming in at 470g but you sacrafice puncture resistance and durability as its a Race Only tire. They also have other tires with lighter weights than the DH versions that are all mtn/xc etc that are capable of a dh course as long as you pick a clean line you could race them.
I am more than Happy with Schwalbe, Its a great tire thats been overlooked. It seems a team (MAJOR team) will be on Schwalbe this season (DH, 4x, DS) as well as helping develop for 2010. Schwalbe was sought out in a weird trial and error and amazed certain people. They are also starting to revamp for a North American push, which they have lacked for some time.

Nothing against Kendas I will not say anything bad about them,(they are GREAT tires) you guys are great. Good program for grass roots riders as well.
No worries, man. Hope they work out for you.

Cheers,

TCK

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bullcrew, when you say 'Kendas and Schwalbe share the bigger profile, maxxis are generally really thin!' am I right in guessing that the 2.35" Mary's would be a similar size to a 2.5" Minion?

I'm after trying some of the Muddy Mary's out as they seem like they could be a good tyre to use with the temperamental weather we get in the UK.....plus I've got a new bike coming either tomorrow or Thursday and a tubeless kit to use so figured I might as well try some new tyres while i'm at it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.