Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my old rear shock I just removed it and took off the coil and there seems to be oil or dampening going on maybe its just no good.

I measured it and bolt hole to bolt hole is near is just shy of 6 1/2 in. Its for an old specialized ground control 98'. I mostly do trail riding now but I like to push my gear to its limits. So an upgrade is not a problem. Id like something with some more adjust ability.

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
Are air shocks far superior to coil? is the weight savings the biggest benefit?
The only advantages are weight saving (for weight weenies), better adjustability for lighter riders, don't need to get the exact spring rate for your weight, now you can get lock out, pro pedal (fox), low speed compression, preload, rebound, and custom valving for precise rate during each stages of the stroke.

The disadvantages are possible air leaks due to abuses, higher cost, smaller stroke (standard are 1.5" stroke, but you can get air shock for DH/FR with bigger stroke), sometime not enough fast for rapid terrains (too plush), need an air pump for on the fly adjustments, might be harder to handle for heavy guys (because you will need a lot of pressure), not as responsive as a coil shock (but that can be discuss for pages and pages long, and it's a personal preference most of the time).

But for XC or trail, an air shock is great, and light.

You can get new old stock RockShox SID air shock, 6.5x1.5 for $100 on ebay. And so many mores for even more money.

David

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
You won't be able to get a current coil shock in 6.5in. They start about 7.5 and go up from there, only pure downhill bikes come with coil springs now.

For shorter travel bikes air is indeed better anyway. Much easier to adjust the spring rate as you just add/remove air as necessary. Damping in all shocks is much better than it used to be too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the info guys. I weigh 185 now but I was in the 160's last year (part of why I wanted to start MTBing again). So I don't know how that factors into the weight department.

I like the sound of the SID shock but my question is on clearance Im not sure its going to work on my bike and it seems as I would need it in hand to be certain before I buy.

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
The SID 6.5x1.5 will fit if your coil shock was 6.5...

Then I will say what I think...

Rockshox is a solid brand and well established in the bike industry. DNM comes from a motorized background and they are starting in bike parts...

I own both a RockShox SID and a DNM coil shock and Rock Shox win it. If you don't wanna go with Rock Shox, then please choose X-Fusion over DNM. I think X-Fusion is really good in their product, reliability, customer service and good price.

But anyhow, you need a 6.5" eye to eye shock. And I would consider Rock Shox over DNM anytime.

David

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dig the passion I know they seem to be around as long as I can remember. If you recommend it this much I have to say its worth a shot. Im having a little trouble finding ones newer than 03

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will look into them also. The SID's are marked as new just from 2003. Will be be able to use my existing spacers? Most of the ones iv been looking at only have the top ones.

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
I will look into them also. The SID's are marked as new just from 2003. Will be be able to use my existing spacers? Most of the ones iv been looking at only have the top ones.
Idk if your spacers will fit, since I don't know what spacers you currently have and what spacers do that SID need... I will check the spacers I'm running on my SID dual air and get back to you... Worst case, just email the question to the seller... They should be the one knowing it.

David

·
Huckin' trails
6,060 Posts
ok. I was just assuming because that they are both rock shock that it might be able to work.
Well, spacers are pretty standard, but again it varies from time to time... You only need to measure outer diameter and length of the bushing you have and if they don't fit, you will only need one of the good diameter for the new shock, with the exact length of the old ones...

David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.