Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a little confused. I am new to the site and new to repairing and maintaining bikes.

I have a Sram 11-32 8 speed cassette with a sram x-4 rear derailer. I have a Shimano sis index front derailer and crankset and Shimano CN-HG50 chain. Shifting is not been great so I am looking to replace the chain and might need to replace the cassette. Everything I read is that you should match the chain with the cassette. But why did mine come stock with these different parts. Which chain should I be looking for?

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
IME with 8-speed gear mixing and matching is fine, because that level of drivetrain was introduced before the higher tech, uber narrow mega cog stuff. Which include more complex shift-enhancing ramps & channels & such.

Personally I used SRAM & KMC chains successfully with my 8-speed drivetrains. Some of these were SRAM cassettes, some were Shimano. All shifted fine.

The important thing is to match the intended speeds — 8-spd chain w/8-spd cassette, etc.
=sParty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.