Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
lover not a fighter
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys... I've been posting for about a year on the RBR forum and have recently discovered this site. Although my experience in cycling is primarily on road bikes, I do not consider myself a typicalroadie geek... I discovered MTB in 1997, and have recently given thought to participating in some races. I'm looking for some advice and pointers as to what I should expect... I'm a 41 year-old clydesdale with no aspirations of age group dominance...just looking to have some fun and challenge myself a bit... I would eventually like to try the Southern Lights endurance race (either solo or with a team)...

whatya think?

big bob

·
Registered
450 Posts
Do it...

It's a blast...painfull, brutal, but a blast. I, like you, am 41 years old and I started racing about four years ago. I love mountain bike racing. After my first race, I said "I'm done, you can have this crap!" but the next year I was on the line for the season opener. My first year I did one race, the next year I did three, third year-six races, fourth-seven races...see a pattern developing? I went into my first race totally unprepared, I ate too much, too close to the start, not to mention that I was unprepared for the intensity of the start. I almost hurled. There was something about it that brought me back though.

My advise: Find a schedule for a series that is close to you, find a race and, do it. Your goal should be to finish, that's it. Unless you're some kind of stud, don't try to push it. Learn what it takes to pace yourself, throughout the race. Let it be a learning experience. Fueling before the race is a huge factor. Find out what you can eat and how close to the start you can eat. Personally, I eat waffles or pancakes with honey instead of syrup. No caffine on race morning, although I am a caffine junky, it's too much for my stomach to take on race day. I usually won't eat anything 2/12-3 hours before the start, I'll just sip on Cytomax up until the start. Then I pop Cliff shots throughout the race to keep my energy level up.

Bottom line: Keep it fun. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, unless you're some kind of prodigy, you'll do good to finish. Enjoy the comrardery (sp?) I've met so many great people at the races. Oh yea, one last thing there's a wealth of information on this site, post this over on "riding and training" also, that's where all the racer boys (and girls) hang out. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.