Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I am looking to buy a bike that will be i guess a cross bike for trails and roads,
I am interested in spending under $400.00 and would like a bike that I can upgrade in the future If i stay interested. any info would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
255 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with any bike at the $400.00 price point from a major bike company like Trek, Specialized, Giant, or Cannondale. Test ride a few and see which one seems to fit better. If you can find something on sale since its the end of the 2004 model year, all the better because you can get a better bike for your money. I just helped a friend purchase a 2004 Trek 4700 (the one not in the catalog) for about $400.00. We talked with the dealer and got a $65 discount because he is already getting his 2005 models in the door.

As for using the bike on the pavement, ask your dealer about tires like Jarett78 suggested. If you don't want to spend extra money to get a dedicated road wheelset with slick tires, you might want to swap the tires on the bike you purchase for tires that have less of an aggressive tread as long as the trails you ride don't call for a full-on knobby tire.

Good luck!

pharmdee077 said:
Hey guys,
I am looking to buy a bike that will be i guess a cross bike for trails and roads,
I am interested in spending under $400.00 and would like a bike that I can upgrade in the future If i stay interested. any info would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.