Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to join rider(s) for some riding in Henry Coe, crosscounty/trailbike type. I've riden there once, but the place is pretty vast all the literature states its best not to be out there riding solo. Does anyone ride there Mondays? I know its warming up and it will be too hot to ride out there soon.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
ByronDawg said:
Looking to join rider(s) for some riding in Henry Coe, crosscounty/trailbike type. Does anyone ride there Mondays?
On a Monday you won't even find a ranger or volunteer at the HQ. 80000 acres, all to yourself.

If you're worried about getting lost, ride out of Hunting Hollow. Go up Coit Rd to the top, then explore the trails on the west side of the ridge. You'd really have to try hard to get lost.

If you're worried about hurting yourself and getting stuck alone, well, ride somewhere else. I have a hard time getting anyone to come out there even on weekends.

It's really not all that scary or dangerous, just tough. Be prepared, and you'll be fine. If you day-park right at the HQ and you're not back by nightfall, they'll come looking for you. Leave a note with your route.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
I have a hard time getting anyone to come out there even on weekends.
I had avoided going there for a long time because I heard it was so difficult.
We finally went two weeks ago, and now you can't keep us away. In fact, we saw BigLarry heading up Coit Rd last Sat.

That park is so friggin beautiful right now, and the single track we have been on is killer.

We did a fairly simple loop of about 15 miles on Sat.
~Park at Hunting Hollow, head up the road to the bridge, then go right on the fire road - this is two miles of asphalt riding
~Take Coit Road (the fire road) and ride that to the top (it levels off a little after several miles).
~Ride Coit until you see a little sign on the right with a single track by it. I believe the sign says something about Coit Camp. The trail may be called Grapevine. The trail is very narrow, with tall grass on both sides. TAKE THAT TRAIL!!! Beautiful scenery, and a fun decent too. NOTE - before you get to this single track, you will pass another, however that one is a 4 way junction, with one side going to Coit Lake, and the other to Coit Camp. This is not the trail you want to make a right on, it will just go down and loop back into Coit Road. The one you want is just a little shoot going down off the fire road.
~The downhill single track will decend for quite a while, then bring you back to Coit Road which you can just take back the way you came to get home.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Nice Meeting You

dan51 said:
I had avoided going there for a long time because I heard it was so difficult.
We finally went two weeks ago, and now you can't keep us away. In fact, we saw BigLarry heading up Coit Rd last Sat.

That park is so friggin beautiful right now, and the single track we have been on is killer.
Nice meeting you and your GF too, if only briefly in passing me. I don't know how you knew I was BigLarry, except when I mentioned I was real slow and taking my time. ;) The park is always beautiful in a desolate way out sort of way - mountain peaks for miles in all directions. But the wild flowers and streams are super now too.

Mike and I ended up doing about 45 miles and 8000' of climbing, not quite our original goal, but it was plenty enough for the two day trip. Many miles were brutal. Going through the couple miles of loose rock stream beds on Narrow Trail was like climbing a hill in effort. On the 40 degree incline of Bear Mountain and Sherrer climbs, I was reaching max heart rate at around 1 MPH. (Not kidding) I'm working on pictures and will post in passion later.

Fast Eddy is right about Henry Coe not being a good place to go alone. Nevertheless Fast Eddy and I tend to go solo anyway. I have a strong bike, great maps, GPS, and lots of survival and communication gear. I also leave a detailed route with my wife so she can call the rangers (and/or insurance) if I don't come back at the end of the day. FastEddy is just crazy. At Henry Coe especially, it's MUCH better to have a partner.

At Henry Coe, getting one of the official maps is essential and I wouldn't go there without it. You can easily get lost with the miles of hills and zillions of routes. The Henry Coe map is absolutely great in detail, trail clarity, and beauty. Go the extra $2.50 for the $7.00 plastic coated version that will hold up in high wind, rain, and time. You may not be able to get one if the HQ is closed on Monday, and it's a half hour in to HQ from 101, not something you want to do anyway if you're going to Hunting Hollow. Not sure if mail order would make to you by Saturday either. Call them and find out. http://www.coepark.org/

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
BigLarry said:
Nice meeting you and your GF too, if only briefly in passing me. I don't know how you knew I was BigLarry, except when I mentioned I was real slow and taking my time. ;)
It didn't take much for the Sherlock Holmes in me ;)
1. You left the parking lot waaaaaay before we did, and we caught up to you in about 5 miles, even with us riding at our slow pace.
2. You were riding a Heckler, and I recall you mentioning that you ride one a while ago
3. You mentioned you were slow
4. You're a big guy

We may be heading to UCSC this weekend, but it will be hard not to go to Coe...

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Slight mods to your route

Go up Coit Rd, like you said, but keep going past the top of Grapevine (actually Coit Spring Trail at the top). Take a right on Wasno Rd and go about 1/2 mile down the hill. There's an unmarked (I think) singletrack on the right. That's Domino Pond Tr. If you like Grapevine, you'll love Domino Pond. At the bottom, keep right and it will climb gently back up to Cattle Duster where there's a hitching post. Go left (down) and it will interstect Grapevine.

At the bottom of Grapevine, instead of going down to the (boring) fire road, go left and climb Anza trail. It's just a little more climbing than the road, but it's all singletrack, and there's another excellent downhill past Jackson Tr.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
Go up Coit Rd, like you said, but keep going past the top of Grapevine (actually Coit Spring Trail at the top). Take a right on Wasno Rd and go about 1/2 mile down the hill. There's an unmarked (I think) singletrack on the right. That's Domino Pond Tr. If you like Grapevine, you'll love Domino Pond. At the bottom, keep right and it will climb gently back up to Cattle Duster where there's a hitching post. Go left (down) and it will interstect Grapevine.

At the bottom of Grapevine, instead of going down to the (boring) fire road, go left and climb Anza trail. It's just a little more climbing than the road, but it's all singletrack, and there's another excellent downhill past Jackson Tr.
WOW, that sounds like a great ride. We rode by Domino Pond our first ride out there. That trail has to be my favorite out there (at the moment).

Our next ride I was planning on:
Coit>Anza>Jackson (tough uphill, but I hate fire road)>Some fire road>Domino Pond>Wasno>Grapevine>Anza>Coit

However, Domino is so nice, I may just get to Wasno and turn around and go back down Domino and follow your decent back to Coit.

I love learning a new park! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks !!!!!!!!!

dan51 said:
Coit>Anza>Jackson (tough uphill, but I hate fire road)>Some fire road>Domino Pond>Wasno>Grapevine>Anza>Coit
Thanks for the input & advice. I do have a map and the one time I did go to Coe I followed a rider on something like:

Coit>Grizzly?(steep!!)>Jackson(?)>Coit Rd. to top>Grapevine>Anza.

Anyone ever make it out to Cross Canyon Trail? Looks like it could be some nice rolling Xcountry.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just wanted to second Fast Eddy's route, I looked up some of the older threads about Coe and thought that his route sounded pretty good. It is really fun, especially the extremely narrow single track when you first drop off Wasno Road. If you've got the time and the willpower to climb to the top of Wilson Peak ( think that's the name of that particular "hill"), I'd suggest Spike Jones Trail. It's shown as an poorly maintained fireroad but it's a pretty ripping singletrack. Good fun. I usually ride there on Mondays and I kinda like the fact that I'm out there without the big crowds. I'm going to try the Grizzly Gulch Trail down from the top next.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
dan51 said:
Go here:
http://www.wlevey.com/coepark/maps/index.htm
Save all the jpgs, than paste them all into one huge jpg. I have several gaps in mine, but nothing major.
It prints out great onto an 11X17.
We have a pretty nice color printer at work too, so it looks great.
Price = FREE
When it wears out, I'll just print another ;)
That jpg trick is a good idea for a decent quick map without a trip to HQ. But you don't know what you're missing if you haven't seen one of the official maps. Levey's site uses the National Geographic Topo maps, which look nice, but they have only 10% of the detail of the official map. I also find Levey's site is a good place to pick up waypoints in Henry Coe for a GPS.

Yep, I suspected you figured me out mostly from my slow ride reputation. I'm just surprised that it's so strong you'd figure it out as passing by in another part of NorCal. Also helping you catch up to me is that I spent over 15 minutes cleaning myself up after stupidly endo'ing into the creek. I was taking an especially rocky path trying to get shallower water and one of the rocks grabbed my front wheel. So I ended up getting way much wetter than intended. You may have noticed I looked like I jumped in a pool.

ByronDawg: All the rolling country at Henry Coe is steep up or steep down, or both. Learn to love it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Read my review of Grapevine in the Trail Review section here: http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/United,States,Trails/California-BayArea/PRD_324706_4519crx.aspx

I like to loop it with a return on Anza to Cullen to Grizzly Gulch to Spike Jones, that gets you the most singeltrack and a nice complete loop although it does add some climbing. I love Coe this time of year, the feeling of being out there all alone is so nice! Has anyone checked out all the turtles in Rodeo pond that's up off of Grizzly Gulch by the Wilson ranch? There has to be a few hundred of them in there this time of year.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
ByronDawg said:
Anyone ever make it out to Cross Canyon Trail?
For a bigger ride you can add this loop to anything that goes to the top of Coit Rd. Go down Kelly Lake Tr off Wasno Rd, go up Coit Rd towards Coit Lake, go left on Willow Ridge Rd, and left on Cross Canyon Tr. Don't let anyone talk you into riding Cross Cyn west-to-east. It's three times more fun the other way.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
If you're thinking about riding Coe

make sure you think about coming out and camping with us on May 20-22 for the 7th annual May by the Bay gathering. You'll get a chance to ride all the trails discussed in this thread plus Flat Frog, Middle Ridge, Lost Spring and China Hole on the north end of the park. As well as some really swell fire road climbs that will make you wish you packed a hari kari sword.

Plus you'll get a chance to win a Titus FS frame from our proud sponsor Roaring Mouse Cycles!

Official May by the Bay 7 website

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BigLarry said:
ByronDawg: All the rolling country at Henry Coe is steep up or steep down, or both. Learn to love it.
Oh I do BigLarry. I came from Western Washington, were its steep up and then steep down, that's it. Fort Turd has made me soft .... I need the pain !!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
Don't let anyone talk you into riding Cross Cyn west-to-east. It's three times more fun the other way.
Cross Canyon is a blast. I have always done it west to east, but I really enjoy the climb out of the creek in that direction. I also like the single track drop down to the creek that way. I'll have to try it the other way around one of these days. Something that should be pointed out to a first timer is that you end up crossing the creek at the bottom quite a lot and it can be a wet shoe ride from that point on, especially this time of year. The trail isn't all that obvious at times, but you'll figure it out sooner or later.

BTW-the May by the Bay thing sounds like fun. I am almost positive to be on the Santa Teresa ride and most likely will be going to Coe for the 2 days...I too live at the base of Coyote Peak.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I rode Hunting Hollow Road to Wagon Wheel road (Ugggh!) to Grizzly Gulch (Wee!) back to Coit road and then on pavement back to the truck yesterday afternoon. It was wet with occasional rain but otherwise beautiful. I saw wild turkey's, pigs, a large bobcat and lots of other wildlife. The flowers were also going off. I always ride Coe on my Bday and yesterday was #27 for me. Yet another great Coe ride with my lady, we didn't see a single soul nor was there even a single other car in the parking lot!

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
punkassean said:
I rode Hunting Hollow Road to Wagon Wheel road (Ugggh!) to Grizzly Gulch (Wee!) back to Coit road and then on pavement back to the truck yesterday afternoon. It was wet with occasional rain but otherwise beautiful. I saw wild turkey's, pigs, a large bobcat and lots of other wildlife. The flowers were also going off. I always ride Coe on my Bday and yesterday was #27 for me. Yet another great Coe ride with my lady, we didn't see a single soul nor was there even a single other car in the parking lot!
Glad to hear you enjoyed the spirit of Henry Coe that so few get. :) Makes me want to go for a short loop there again soon.

In case you haven't seen it on the Passion Forum, I posted pictures of the 2-day 45 mile epic with Plim on Backcountry Weekend here.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I was growing up in Morgan Hill I rode a Klein that at times was as light as 19#. My current ride is a hair over 34# with 6" travel. With the 22/34 I can still climb everything but it takes a little longer. I still think ultralight hardtails are the best Coe bike, a suspension seatpost is nice but actual rear suspension always seems overkill to me out there.

I have taken lots of people out into Coe over the years and a lot of them just don't appreciate it (many do though). What's up with that? I always leave smiling no matter how nasty the climbs or the weather...

Larry, I read your post about BC weekend. I went last year and had a blast. I want to ride from Orestimba out to the north east end of the park and back as that seems to be the best way to take advantage of the deep access provided by the BC weekend, maybe next year... :)

BTW- Growing up we used to poach the trails in the hills behind Coyote reservoir and I understand that Coe park has now acquired that land. Do you know when they plan to open access to that area?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Monday's at Coe

Thursday's are the best day for me to ride Coe. I noticed that the guys I ride with in the "Exploring Any Bay Area Mountain Goat" rides have added some Monday's to their ride selection in the "Black And Blue Bottom" for the Almaden Cycling Club. You might want to pick one up and call Ron or Bill to see if they are riding Coe on one of the Monday's this month. Vince

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.