Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get my first moutain but I have no clue on what i should get or anything so if you guys could give me some advise it would really help me.

my spec:

6"1"
200 lbs

Price Range: 400-600

I will probably be doing alot of uphill and down hill riding I dont know if that really matter but I thought I would put that in. Mostly alot of local riding nothing to extreme but alittle jumping but nothing big

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Personally, I would go to Performance Bike (there are several in CA) or a lbs and just take a look at what you can get. At Performance, I'd go for a Full-suspension Iron Horse. Check their website for store locations and bikes, most of them are still clearance priced.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
for your budget you want to get a hardtail and not a full suspension bike. a 4-600 dollar hardtail will actually be a pretty decent bike, a full suspension bike for the same price will probably have really low end components and weigh a ton.

first off you'll want to head down to your local bike shop to see what they have to offer. most shops will carry at least one big name bike brand like Trek, Giant, Specialized, ect all of these companies have bikes that fit within your budget. at 6'1" you want to be looking for a large sized bike (19-21") dont let the shop sell you something too big or too small.

or if you dont mind buying online there are lot of online retailers that usually have better deals than what you will typically find at most bike shops. here are a few links you might want to check out.

http://ibexbikes.com/index.html
http://www.rscycle.com/
http://bikesdirect.com/

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
As mentioned above, you should definitely look for a hardtail in the price range. Hardtails are the ideal bikes for a newbie to start on. You should research a couple of bikes online- Trek, Giant, Specialized, Gary Fisher, and then go to the store and check out the models that interest you.

Above all, you have to test ride the bikes... as many as you can. Once you have zeroed in on two bikes, research their components in this forum or other websites, and then make your decision!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just stay out of the big box stores and toy stores and you can't go wrong. At that price range you should be able to get a pretty sweet hardtail with a frame that is worthy of upgrades later on. If your budget is from 4-600 bucks, try to spend as close to 6 as you can. The difference in component quality will be worth the extra money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well after all the reply I have gotton here are the bikes I'm looking at:

2007 Alpine 650
2006 Iron Horse Warrior DS
Iron Horse Maverick 4.5 Mountain Bike
2008 Motobecane 700HT aluminum mountain bike
K2 Attack 1.0 2006 (Cross-Country/Trail)

Are these bikes good? what would be the best for me?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
i'd rule out the K2, the components on that thing are really low end. promax disc brakes are not good and suntour forks are pretty bad as well. it wouldnt ever really be worth upgrading a bike like that because you would probably need to upgrade everything on it which would cost big $$$.

if you must have full suspension the ironhorse warrior DS doesnt look too bad. i'd try to spend at least $600 though if you go with full suspension.

the motobecane isnt too bad but tektro brakes are pretty iffy when it comes to quality and performance. some of the other bikes like the ibex have avid disc brakes which are very good brakes, much better than tektros.

the Ibex 650 is by far the best bike of the ones your looking at. solid components all-around, plus ibex has a very good reputation and customer service. check out the ibex forum.

the ironhorse warrior hardtails are also very nice bikes. the warrior comp, expert, and race are all nice bikes that are within your budget. http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7932/.f?sc=7&category=56

If your going to buy online go with either the Ibex Alpine or Ironhorse Warrior hardtails.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
First Bike...LBS is usually best

I will always stand by my feeling that for a first time bike buyer, going to a reputable Local Bike Shop (LBS) is the best choice. A reputable bike shop will be able to fit you properly, make any adjustments (such as seat height, stem length, etc.). They will also provide you with a service contract (at least one free tune up...some give more than that) and usually some sort of a discount on accessories (helmet, pump, gloves, shorts, mini tool kit, etc.). No, you will not get as much bang for your buck as the online retailers, but you will get a bike that you are certain will be the right one for you. The key word is "reputable" bike shop. Talk to other bike riders in your area and find out who gets lots of good compliments from their customers,,,because there are bad bike shops out there.

I'm not an anti-internet snob, I buy parts and have purchased a couple bikes online over the years. But I also have been riding for 18 years and worked as a bicycle mechanic for 8 so I can work on my own stuff. Before you go buying online...at least check out a few shops in your area and see what they can offer.

Just my $0.02
:)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
LivingLegend912 said:
what one is better out of those 2?
its probably a toss up between the two. i'd probably go with the ibex just because i dont have any experiance with rscycles or ironhorse bikes. i do own an ibex (trophy) and have had it for 2 years now, its been an awesome bike. i was weary about buying online but i took the plunge and everything went smoothly. just do a little research before buying online if thats what you decide to do. buying locally has its benefits but its sometimes hard to find a good shop.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I am a new rider...got a Gary Fisher "Marlin"...it's in your price range...love the bike!!

Attachments

·
KRISDALA BAKA!!!!!!!!!!!!
265 Posts
I suggest that if there is anyway of raising the budget by a couple of hundred bucks, I'd do it. I bought my first mountainbike (Giant Yukon, $450) a few years ago. And though I enjoyed riding the bike and fit the need at the time, my skills quickly exceeded the capabilities of the Giant.

Within six months I was riding a new bike that I purchased for $1300. Still have the Yukon which has been heavily upgraded though. But I am getting beyond my point here, which is.....Spend a little more dough and you may not be looking to replace the bike within a year. $800 bucks will definately open up a whole new level of hardtails for you. Check them out.

Good luck

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Personally I don't like Iron Horse.

Here are some other brands you might consider. I have listed these bike because they all have a shimano deore drive train or better. You probably will not find a good front shock on any of these bikes.

Please please please buy from a local bike shop as you must try many bikes and make sure you are getting a good fit. My friend who is 6'0" rides a 19". Each person is diffrent.

I tried to stay as close to $600 as I could, but Deore drive train is really what you want.

Kona Cinder Cone
http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2k7/CINDERCONE/index.html

Giant Rainer
http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/10/

Marin Hawk Hill SE
http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2007/html/bikes/bike_specs/specs_hawk_hill_se.html

·
Registered
110 Posts
My $.02

Definitely go to a reputable local bike shop. You need to "consult" with someone knowledgable, not just be "sold" something, if you know what I mean. I just got into mtbg and bought a Gary Fisher Marlin. $550 and it came equiped with a nicer fork, rims, derailers than other similarly priced bikes.

You definitely need to test ride some bikes. I tried out a Specialized and couldn't fit it. I'm about your size and the Fisher fit perfect. I wouldn't have known that without test riding and with someone who knows about bikes watching me.

I would also suggest spending $30 to rent a bike for the day. Get to know a bike you'd potentially want to own over a 2 hour ride.

Get a reputable up-gradable frame ie. Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher and go with what fits your body and your purposes. for example, my Marlin does not turn as well at slow speeds, but that's ok with me b/c I'm doing more fast paced cross country. It climbs like a goat and sails smoothly on long straight declines. I'm not into twisty slow trails in the trees. So keep that in mind.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
The entry level hardtail is a good place for a beginner to spend their money. If you buy a more expensive bike , it may be a better bike, but it may not be the bike you want to live with for 4 to 5 years (to get your money's worth from it).

Buying a decent ($400 to $600) hardtail will get you (if you shop carefully) a bike that should last you for at least 2 years. In that two years, you should only replace what breaks and ride the urine out of it. During that time, save the rest of your money for the bike that will ultimately suit you best. Right now, you don't know what that bike is. After thrashing a hardtail for two years, you will likely know much more about yourself as a rider and what type of bike is really best for you.

JMHO

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I went to performence bikes today and was looking to buy the iron house warrior but they didnt have my size but the guy there told me the GT 2007 Avalanche 1.0 Disc
Is a good buy

what do you guys think about the 2007 Avalanche 1.0 Disc I havent bought it yet

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.