Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out of the MTB scene for 12 years, had some nice rides in the past....Fisher Super CALIBER, Klein Mantra, and a bunch in between. Now 47 and realizing i have put on a good 25 pounds in these last 12 bike less years. Well i just stumbled on to youtube about these FATBIKES, really cool looking and i am digging the look of them. From looking at most post around they appear to be mainly for snow and sand, correct me if i am wrong. I will be doing some dirt trails locally and some pavement riding to some trails. What should i be looking for in a FATBIKE? How to they feel when riding? i have read SURLY is a really comfortable ride and i am leaning towards that company. I was really used to a hunched over ride in the past, but with age i am thinking a little more of a straight up riding style for comfort and enjoyment. Let me know what others recommend. My budget is around 2,700.00 MAX! Would it be a waste of money getting a FATBIKE now that spring and summer are around the corner? Thanks in advance.

·
1,711 Posts
If you have ATV trails in your area they are GREAT for that too in the spring and summer after rains... and fun to get all muddy. Just have to get used to cleaning them every time ;) They are meant for softer conditions, yes. Don't let that stop you though... but on harder terrain the big tires no matter which brands (some will argue this) are going to give you self-steer... since you are dealing with so much rubber. I don't ride mine much on hard surfaces... I use my full suspension bike for that.

Yes, Surly is a little more "forward" XC type geometry. I feel right at home though when I go from my 29er to my fat bike. It feels very much like a mountain bike. That isn't out yet though.

A Salsa Mukluk will have a slighly more upright geometry. 9zero7 is a little in between both Surly and Salsa. The new Surly "Ice Cream Truck" will be much like the Moonlander, but with slacker geo... so more upright. After that there are a ton of other brands I have no experience with.

Best bet is to find some and test ride and see which one gives you the biggest smile.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm kinda surprised you posted in the fat bike forum asking about the best bike to start back on. I would have suggested a 29'er hard tail, but it largely depends where you plan to ride .. what type of riding. Don't go for *cool* because a bike happens to catch your eye. Opt for what is most practical. Go to a local bike shop and give them the info on where you will be riding the most. They can steer you to a proper bike and get fitted.

But if a fat bike is your desire .. what Duggus said.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts